The Librium Arcana BBS Commandments

General Announcements - Please Read
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#1 The Librium Arcana BBS Commandments

Post by Dark Silver »

Acceptable Use Policy

I. Thou shalt Not Engage in Posting Wars or vicious Acts of Spam
Post it once, post it nice, just don't post it twice. It's annoying. You don't want to annoy us. We swat annoying things. Hard. And wipe the goo off our hands after. Spam is a bad thing, except at certain times. We will know these times, and they will be known as the Time of the Spam. Moderators think Spam is tasty. They will eat Spam. Posting spam is not tasty, it is disliked. The Moderators do not like the posting of posting spam.

Ia. Thou shalt not engage in strictly personal attacks.
Sometimes idiocy is just grating idiocy and should be denounced as, well, idiocy. However, all flames should be given in the form of comments upon the subject at hand, and not simple personal attacks. There will be no vendettas or stalking another member from thread to thread simply to attack them. Vulturing a poster is also expressly forbidden. As a rule of thumb, if five posters are engaged with another single poster, stand back and let it be. Violations of section Ia are particularly grave offenses, and will be treated with extra care and attention by the staff.

Ib. Thou shalt not engage in cross-forum attacks.
Discussions of issues concerning other forums need to be kept to a minimum. Attacks against people on other boards or on this board for actions that did not happen on this board is not allowable. If the topic is relevent then post it. If it is not relevent to this board, don't bring it here. Librium Arcana is not a refuge for any other forum's dissidents or problems.

Ic. Thou shalt not bring thine board affairs into the realm of Real Life.
If you have a disagreement with a member of the board, it stays on the board. Should we find a member has used a board vendetta to injure or harm another members personal life/career, and it is discovered, the user will be summarily censured, banned, and information given to the proper authorities where we will press for at the very minimum, harrassment charges.

II. Thou shalt Not Advertise
You don't pay us, you won't use our bandwidth to advertise things which will make you money. Or monkey. And especially not things which will make you monkey money. Advertising is a bad thing, mm'kay? First time you advertise, we spank your hand. Second time you do it, we feed you to Gojira.

III. Thou Shalt Not Post Naughty Bits or Graven Images
This is a step beyond advertising. In that the first time you do it, we strip you naked and dip you in Troll Attractant. The second time you do it, we dropkick you into the next time zone and delete your account. Don't be a idiot. While the board does maintain a Mature rating, were not a X rated place.

IV. Thou Shalt Not Engage in Thread Necromancy
Put the E-Necronomican down, such tomes are forbidden here. If a thread has had no activity for no less than seven (7) days, leave it in peace. Or we will leave you in peices. Exceptions to this commandment (and there are exceptions to every rule) is that if your post contributes something to the topic.

V. Thou Shalt Not Mention the Abomination, Free Speech
This is a privately run, enlightened board. Free Speech is a creature from another world. We are better off without it. If a Moderator asks you to stop saying something, or if a topic is locked and or deleted, do not create a new topic stating the same thing. We take unkindly to this sort of things. We will take the rubber hose if necessary.

VI. Thou Shalt Not Engage in Useless +1 Posts
Post count means nothing, but posts mean everything. We do not want to have a thread started, and have to scroll through 2000 pages of "Me Too" posts. This is annoying, don't do it. If you want to post uselessly, do it in the Testing Forum, where the Autoprune will do it's work.

VIIa. Thou Shalt Accept the Administrations Decisions
This goes without saying. The Administrators are the Gods of this small microcosm. The Moderators are our Avatars. What we say goes. Argue, and you will be banned. This is your warning. If you have a dispute with a Moderator, take it up with a moderator in PM or messenger, or to one of the Admins. Don't air your dirty laundry on the boards.

VIIb. Moderator/Administrative subsection
Moderators are put in charge of maintaining order according to these rules and the moderation policy of the board. In their own little areas of responsibility they are in charge. If you are an Admin or Moderator engaging in a discussion in a thread you have forfeited your rights, privileges and powers to enforce policy in that thread. You have become biased and part of the discussion. You are no longer a neutral third party to officiate as needed. Trying to invoke authority in such a situation is not acceptable. Actual usage of your powers/privileges is likely to get you smacked. Punishment for actions can range from warnings to temporary or permanent loss of status and/or banning.

VIII. Thou Shalt obey the Avatar and Signature Image Restrictions
Avatar size is 100x100, with a maximum filesize of 25kb (25,000 bytes). Signature Image size is limited to 500 pixels wide by 150 pixels high with a filesize of 75kb. Slightly larger can be tolerated, but not much larger.

You shalt not utilize your sig privilege to conduct unlawful attacks on another user or individual unnessacrily, or attempt to use your sig in a way which would betray bias. In other words, no usage of your sig as a bullentine board. It's only meant to help individualize your posts.

IX. Thou shalt not engage in L33t-sp34k, AOL-speak, or similar such atrocities on the language.
L33t is crap. AOLisms such as 'ur' and so on are crap. Utilize standard English as taught in schools. We don't expect perfection in language and grammar, but every effort must be made to communicate coherently. This is primarily a English language board. We will make exceptions for those who English is a second (or third or fourth...) language, as long as it looks like they are trying to form a coherent sentence.

This is something of a pet peeve for one of your friendly neighborhood admins. As it says, we don't expect perfection, and we understand that English as a second language speakers might well have difficulty with the language, but if it becomes evident that a member is not even trying to communicate coherently, they can expect censure and admonishment from the staff.

X. Thou shalt dress thy links.
Rather than screwing up the page formatting by posting mile-long links, please 'dress' your link in this fashion-

Code: Select all

[url=www.whateverthelinkis]Say something informative[/url]
When done properly, it comes out to look like this Say something informative

Feel free to practice this in Testing.

XI.Don't threaten heads of state in such places where this will get our shit in trouble. Don't threaten anybody else, while you're at it. Oh, and no, we don't have senses of humor about this, any more than the Secret Service does.

No threats against the President of the United States, the Prime Minister of England, or anybody else who can send gentlemen with dark suits and mirrorshades to rectally probe us. Such content will be mutilated beyond recognition if not outright deleted. For that matter, no threatening anyone. And claiming 'It was a joke' will go over as well with us as it will with law enforcement.

In short, don't be a feces-flinging assmonkey and make Petro utilize his admin access.

XII.TGODing
TGODing is to be restricted to the Kitchen Table and Testing only. TGODing outside of these forums will be dealt with in numerous ways, depending on the situation and person carrying out the punishment. This can include anything from moving the thread to down below and editing it mercilessly to outright deletion. In any case a warning will be issued along with the punishment. Repeated warnings about TGODing outside the appropriate forums will result in loss of privledges followed by harsher punishments such as restricted forum use, temporary bannings, etc.

XIII.Thou shalt not leech images
Image leeching is defined as hotlinking images directly off of another server. To wit, a user sees a cool pic somewhere else, copies the url, comes to their favorite message board and uses the IMG tags to display it for all their friends. Doing so murders the bandwidth of innocent siteowners and is henceforth prohibited. Users are encouraged to rehost pics they wish to share into their own accounts with such services as Photoshack, Imageshack, or others.

Note: Don't use Paintdover, 'cause it really sucks.

Note 2.0: Simply linking to the image rather than using the IMG tags to display it does not constitute image leeching and is allowable.

XIV.Thou shalt not Troll
A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Trolling shall not be tolerated by any member of this board be they user, moderator or administrator. So don't be a troll. Do not engage in trolling. Doing so will result in moderator or administrative action as necessary. If a moderator or admin says you are trolling, step back and evaluate what you're doing and correct your behavior before disciplinary action is required.

------

Disclaimers:
Anything we didn't say above, we hereby say herein and henceforth. Verily.

We reserve the right to amend these rules at our discretion without notification. The onus is on the member to periodically check these rules for changes.

Please note that this isn't a legal document, if a Moderator asks you to stop doing something, then stop doing it. We withhold the right to dispense indiscriminate justice as we see fit.

Librium Arcana, it's Administrators and Staff Members, are not responsible for any sideeffects, including anal leakage, you may experience while using this site.
Last edited by Dark Silver on Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:32 am, edited 9 times in total.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

Addendum- All subsequent changes to this document shall be logged by the staff member who makes the change, noting in a post what change was made. This will serve as notification to the board members of changes within the rules structure.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Josh

Post by Josh »

Added section IX, the L33tspeak ban.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Clarified Section IX concerning L33tSpeak ban
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Clarified clarification. :P
Josh

Post by Josh »

Added link dressing.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Added Article I subsection b covering cross-forum postings.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Josh

Post by Josh »

Added the 'Don't threaten heads of state or people in general, damn it' rule.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Added Section XII covering TGODing
Josh

Post by Josh »

Added article thirteen about image leeching.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

added Commandment Ic
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

#12 Re: The Librium Arcana BBS Commandments

Post by B4UTRUST »

Added commandments VII b and XIV concerning usage of administrative/moderator status in discussions and trolling