DirectX 10?

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Brother-Captain Gaius
Initiate

#1 DirectX 10?

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

So, having worked with DX9 for awhile now I can confidently state that doing 3D work in it is an exercise in masochistic self-flagellation. 2D programming is straightforward enough but dealing with FVFs and quads and ungodly heaps of Windows messaging bullshit gives me headaches.

I really don't know much about DX10. Is it any better, worse? If it's more integrated with Windows than DX9 was, does it at least put some abstraction layers over all the messaging and callback crap? Does it do 3D graphics in a more straightforward way?
Last edited by Brother-Captain Gaius on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Pretty much the wrong forum for this type of question, you'd be better served at Beyond3d Forums. They include a large group of professional graphics programmers, along with some developers from AMD and nVidia.

As far as my understanding of the APIs goes, DX10 goes a long way to clearing up the system and throwing away alot of the headache, but graphics programming is still far more complicated than normal logic is.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Brother-Captain Gaius
Initiate

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Alright, thanks Ace.