LCD or CRT for gaming?

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff

Which one do you prefer to play games?

LCD.
30%
CRT.
40%
break an LCD and use the shards to castrate Kreshna's left testicles, then crush the right one with a heavy CRT monitor.
30%

Total votes: 10

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

#1 LCD or CRT for gaming?

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Which monitor do you prefer to play games with; LCD or CRT? And why?

Also, which one do you think better for low resolution like, say, 640x480?
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

CRT for gaming, while LCD refresh rates have improved over the years, you can't beat a CRT for it.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Uraniun235
Acolyte

Post by Uraniun235 »

I use a 21" CRT at home and take a 17" LCD to LAN parties. (I'd use the LCD concurrently at home, but my desk doesn't really allow for that.
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Honestly, if your screen refresh rate is your limiting factor in gaming, you have way more problems than just deciding between the two :razz: .

That said, I run an LCD. Two, as soon as i dredge up some cash.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Damnit!
I'm torn on my vote...

I want to vote LCD, but I also want to inflict additional pain on Kreshna's already bruised beaten and shattered testicles...

damnit!

...I prefer LCD. I like my laptop better then my desktop for it
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

LCD by far, while you can argue that a CRT looks better, you cannot beat a modern LCD for portability, ease of use and the fucking gaming.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Karen Sanger
Acolyte

Post by Karen Sanger »

CRT - no fucking contest.

My CRT has a better image than I've seen any LCD put out (barring perhaps the big Apple Cinema Display), and when you factor in that a top-quality CRT will not only get you a better image and a larger screen size at a (much!) lower cost than an average-quality LCD - there's really no reason to even consider the LCD.

I guess *maybe* if you're really, really concerned with your desktop real-estate... even then, I'd just say suck it up and move some of your crap off the desk to make room for a sweet 21" Trinitron CRT.

Spend less and get more - buy a CRT.
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

I don't have that much room for a CRT. And I can run dual monitors if I get LCD's, and I don't have much crap at all on my desktop. Small room and such.

What I wanted to do was get a nice LCD TV and run an S-vid to it, so I could use it for my comp and for my regular TV.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Hedgecore
Apprentice

Post by Hedgecore »

After being on LCDs for a while, I can't use CRTs anymore. I had to go back to one a little while ago, I felt like my eyes were going to start bleeding. THe flicker, man the flicker! CRTs hurt my eyes too much. Its even worse when you're at the computer for a long time. Your eyes will thank you.

There's also the size issue, and c'mon, who ever heard of CRT on a laptop? that's just silly.
Last edited by Hedgecore on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Well, I wouldn't argue that is was a no holds-barred, adrenalin fuelled thrill ride, but there is no way you
can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork."
-Sgt Nicholas Angel, on Point Break

"You gotta look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever, man.'"
-Hurley
Karen Sanger
Acolyte

Post by Karen Sanger »

Hedgecore wrote:THe flicker, man the flicker!
I guess I can't relate, my RR is usually somewhere around 120 at 1600 x 1200. I don't ever see the flicker.
... and c'mon, who ever heard of CRT on a laptop? that's just silly.
Only as silly as using a laptop as a dedicated gaming machine :)
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Karen Sanger wrote:Only as silly as using a laptop as a dedicated gaming machine :)
Unfortunatly, it's come down to that for me....seeing as my job keep me away from home for large periods of time (I'm currently on the 4 month mark on this particular "job"/assignment in the Gulf of Mexico), and thus, in order for me to maintain sanity, I require a laptop capable of gaming....

oh 3.4 Pentium with 2 gigs of ram...if only you came with a nVidia card instead of a ATIx700.....

but no worries...I will deal with it in the best possible way...
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Karen Sanger wrote:
... and c'mon, who ever heard of CRT on a laptop? that's just silly.
Only as silly as using a laptop as a dedicated gaming machine :)
A true laptop, yes, shit for gaming, a Desktop Replacement?
You can get a lappy today with an X2, 1 gig of RAM and a 78GTX, whats wrong with it?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Karen Sanger
Acolyte

Post by Karen Sanger »

Ace Pace wrote: ... whats wrong with it?
Small, pre-determined monitor; poor keyboard; no mouse; triple the cost vs. a similarly-equipped desktop gaming rig.

You can fix the keyboard & mouse problem by buying a 'standard' one, but a real keyboard adds on a pretty big chunk of real-estate and bulk to carry around. I suppose you *could* get a seperate monitor as well... but that puts your portability at zero - so why have a laptop at all in that case?

The cost is what you really can't get around.

Also, the components you have to choose from are much more limited.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Karen Sanger wrote:
Small, pre-determined monitor; poor keyboard; no mouse; triple the cost vs. a similarly-equipped desktop gaming rig.

You can fix the keyboard & mouse problem by buying a 'standard' one, but a real keyboard adds on a pretty big chunk of real-estate and bulk to carry around. I suppose you *could* get a seperate monitor as well... but that puts your portability at zero - so why have a laptop at all in that case?

Mouse and keyboard are the two kickers, and they don't add that much.
Monitor? you're getting a high end 17 inch LCD, while it won't match my 19 inch Samsung LCD, neither is it crap.

The cost is what you pay for portability, and if you buy high end today you're paying a shitload anyway.

The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Karen Sanger wrote:

Laptop monitors usually have very high resolution options, and are the nice wide aspect ratio.

I use a wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combo. It's Bluetooth. When I was using my laptop, it had built in Bluetooth. No wires at all, and everything fits easily into a backpack.

Cost, yeah, that bites. But it's the price you pay for full mobility.

And the components are kinda limited, but I honestly can't think of anything besides future upgrades that you can't do. Everything else is usually built in and high quality if you buy from the right place.

Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

I gotta vote CRT, sure its heavy and a little hard to lug arround at times but thats half the charm of it, also I do have a little trouble looking at an LCD screen for too long makes my eyes hurt cause they have weird diffrent focal lengths.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
Karen Sanger
Acolyte

Post by Karen Sanger »

Hrm. I'm starting to think that a few of us are going to have to agree to disagree :)

What I don't get though, is why people promoting LCDs / laptops keep bringing up portability. I've never personally felt the need to tote a PC gaming rig around with me, save for the odd LAN-fest w/friends. When I'm on the go and I *need* a video game fix, I just toss my GBA in my pocket and consider the problem solved.

So the question I have to ask is this:

Why portable?
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Well see, the reason for me owning the laptop is the fact that I'm in the military.

I deploy to god-forsaken countries for months at a time and you can't just really bring a huge uber-gaming rig with you to the sandbox. So having a laptop, that while it can't play the games as well as my desktop, is nice to have for general gaming overall.

That and being stuck on 12 hour shifts on a "emergency" recall at work where you really have nothing to do because there is no emergency, there is no work and you have to stay there for 12 hours. Watch movies, play a few games, etc.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Karen Sanger wrote:Hrm. I'm starting to think that a few of us are going to have to agree to disagree :)

What I don't get though, is why people promoting LCDs / laptops keep bringing up portability. I've never personally felt the need to tote a PC gaming rig around with me, save for the odd LAN-fest w/friends. When I'm on the go and I *need* a video game fix, I just toss my GBA in my pocket and consider the problem solved.

So the question I have to ask is this:

Why portable?
Answered above, but I shall reitterate.

My job takes me away from home for minimum a month at a time, most of the time longer. While yes, I do have computers on my job, they are for work purposes only, and thus I cannot game on them, I can barely use them for web browsing. Having a laptop with me means I have a personal system I can patch into the network, and use the internet without worry of screwing the company's equipment.
Captain tycho
Feeldoe Heretic

Post by Captain tycho »

LCDs, at least for me. I am never, ever going back to a CRT monitor even for games after having my 2005FPW. :razz:
"You don't spend half your life in lockdown with a horse-bit in your mouth and not believe. And you surely don't start out in a liquor store trash bin with an umbilical cord wrapped around your neck and not believe. Oh, absolutely I believe in God. And I absolutely hate the fucker."
-Riddick