Graphic Cards

C&T: Video Games, Table Top Games & Computerized Stuff
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

#1 Graphic Cards

Post by Ace Pace »

Bump, edited, updated.

My usual article, frequent members of G&C may recall it.

Video Cards

GPU Sheet article

I'll start off with nVidia:
Note: all the following cards unless noted have 256-bit memory.

7800 GTX
Note: PCI-E only.
430MHZ GPU
600MHZ memory speed
24 pipelines
8 vertex pipes
256MB GDDR3 RAM

My Opinion: If you have the money to spend, this is a card, itÂ’s well worth the price premium and is well performing at HD resolution.

6800 Ultra:
400 MHZ GPU
1100 MHZ memory speed
16 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256MB GDDR3 RAM

My opinion: This is way overboard for anyone, even with an unlimited budget, pass this one on.

6800 GT:
350 MHZ GPU
1000 MHZ memory speed
16 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256MB GDDR3 RAM

My Opinion: If your going high end (400$+ cards) there is No better choice, this is the card, and even with a stock cooler its going to run cool, its also better then the ATI equilivent.

325 MHZ GPU
700 MHZ memory speed
12 pipelines
5 vertex pipes
128MB RAM (not sure of type)

My Opinion: pass this one on, the 4 less pipes and the gutted GPU leave it lacking, a 6600 gives it a run for the money at 100$ less.

6800 LE:
320 MHZ GPU
700 MHZ memory speed
8 pipelines
5 vertex pipes
128MB RAM

My opinion: this is even a worse choice then the 6800 regular, the pipes are gutted even more, and the 6600 beats it hands down at a lower price.

6600GT:
Note: this is only available in a PCI-E configuration for those getting such as PC
500 MHZ GPU
1000 MHZ memory speed
8 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
128\256 GDDR3 RAM
128-bit memory!

My opinion: Mid range, as of now, this is hands down the winner, while its not going to compete with the 6800's, its more efficient, and thus beats the 6800 LE, while giving the 6800 regular a run for its money.

6600:
Note: this is only available in a PCI-E configuration for those getting such as PC
300 MHZ GPU
550 MHZ memory speed
8 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
128\256 GDDR3 RAM
128-bit memory!

My opinion: pass this one on, while its newer, the gutted speeds let older cards such as the 9800XT (ATi) and the 5950(nVidia) pass it, however, if you want a really cheap SLI rig, this could work.

300 MHZ GPU
550 MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
128MB GDDR (unknown type, probably GDDR)
128-bit memory!

My opinion: Best budget card out there.
Note: Regarding Turbo cache, this uses the PCI-E bus to allow the graphics card to loan system RAM.
6200 TC 64MB
Note: PCI-E only
350MHZ GPU
550 memory speed
4 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
64MB+ memory
Note: 64-bit memory!

My Opinion: DonÂ’t buy, if you must buy a turbo cache budget card, get the 32MB version.

6200 TC 32-16MB
Note: PCI-E only
350MHZ GPU
700 memory speed
4 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
64MB+ memory
Note: 16MB version has 32-bit memory!

My opinion: If you must have a turbo cache card, get the 32MB version, otherwise get a 6200.

FX generation:
Note: I will only be covering 2 cards, last high end and mid end, those are really the viable choices today from the FX line.

FX 5950 Ultra:
Note: this is available in a PCI-E configuration for those getting such as PC
Note: This card takes up both your AGP and your nearest PCI slot; itÂ’s a duel slot card, very loud.
475 MHZ GPU
950 MHZ memory speed
8 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
256 RAM (I think GDDR2)

My opinion: In this generation, pass this one for the 9800XT; the FX's have proven to be weak in future games.

FX 5700 Ultra:
Note: the memory here can be GDDR3 or GDDR2, GDDR3 is better; however both perform the same currently.
475 MHZ GPU
900\950 MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
3 vertex pipes
128\256 RAM
128-bit memory!

My opinion: This is equal to the 9600XT (its equilivent), but performs at a far lower level.
This sums up nVidia's offering.

ATi
Note: all cards unless noted have 256-bit memory.
Note: IÂ’ve taken out the PE versions, because as far as the market cares, they donÂ’t exist.

X850 XT
520 MHZ GPU
1080 MHZ memory speed
16 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256MB GDDR3 RAM
Note: Some variants will take up two slots, avoid them.

My Opinion: If you can find it, itÂ’s as fast or faster then a single 6800 Ultra.

X850 Pro
507 MHZ GPU
1040 MHZ memory speed
12 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256MB GDDR3 RAM

My Opinion: Waste, at its price you can get a 6800GT which would out perform it.

X800XL
400 MHZ GPU
1000 MHZ memory speed
16 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256MB GDDR3 RAM (some variants have 512MB)

My Opinion: This card is equal to a 6800GT; it all depends on the price you find the X800XL and if SM3.0 is important to you as a future guarantee.

X800 XT
500 MHZ GPU
1000 MHZ memory speed
16 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256 GDDR3 RAM

My Opinion: The best ATi card on the market, however, it does not fare well against the 6800 GT.

X800 Pro
475 MHZ GPU
900 MHZ memory speed
12 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
256 GDDR3 RAM

My Opinion: No joy, at the price of a 6800GT with 4 less pipes, this card disappoints.

X800 SE
425 MHZ GPU
800 MHZ memory speed
8 pipelines
6 vertex pipes
128\256 GDDR3 RAM

My Opinion: This card is way too gutted, leave this one at home.

X700 XT
475 MHZ GPU
1050 MHZ memory speed
8 Pipelines
6 Vertex pipes
128MB GDDR3 RAM
128-bit memory!

My Opinion: Unless you are a hardcore UT fan, the X700 does not stand up to the 6600GT in any game, including AA.

X700 Pro
420 MHZ GPU
864 MHZ memory speed
8 Pipelines
6 Vertex pipes
256MB (not sure of type)
128-bit memory!

My Opinion: Take this card over the X700XT or the 6600GT if you intend to do graphical work, otherwise the added 128MB of RAM don't do you any good.

X700
400 MHZ GPU
700 MHZ memory speed
8 Pipelines
6 Vertex pipes
128MB (not sure of type)
128-bit memory!

My Opinion: The 9800 can be had for around the same price, and will give equal performance; however, if you do a lot of graphical work, the extra vertex pipelines help out.

X600 XT
500 MHZ GPU
740 MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
2 vertex pipes
128\256 RAM
128-bit memory!

My Opinion: get the X700, the X600 is based off the 9600.

X300
325 MHZ GPU
400MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
2 vertex pipes
128MB (unknown type)
Note: 128-bit memory!

My Opinion: If youÂ’re in this price range, get a 6200.

X300SE
325 MHZ GPU
400MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
2 vertex pipes
128MB (unknown type)

My Opinion: Get a 6200, or even a stock X300.

Note: Hyper memory is similar to Turbo Cache, in the way that it loans system RAM for itself.
X300HM (hyper Memory)
325 MHZ GPU
600MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
2 vertex pipes
32MB (unknown type)

My opinion: If you must get one of the RAM using cards, itÂ’s either this one or the 6200 TC 32MB, not much of a difference.

9800XT
412 MHZ GPU
730 MHZ memory speed
8 pipelines
4 vertex pipes
256 RAM (Not sure of type)

My Opinion: If your building an AGP based system, and donÂ’t shell out for the latest cards, this is THE choice.

9600XT
500 MHZ GPU
600 MHZ memory speed
4 pipelines
2vertex pipes
128\256 RAM
128-bit memory!

My opinion: for a midrange AGP card, this is a good choice, the question between the 9600XT and the 5700 depends on the games you want to play.

This sums up ATiÂ’s current offering.

Summery: IÂ’ll break my card advice down into price ranges
500$ or Ultra High End:
Very simple, 7800GTX, or even a pair of them.

400$ or High end:

Get a 6800GT, the X800XL canÂ’t compete with it in the long term.

300$: At 300$, if you can find a 6800GT get it, otherwise, an X800XL is a great buy. A 6800 will also be a good choice though outperformed by the X800XL.

200$ or medium range:
PCI-E, A 6600GT is a great buy, and the king of the mainstream.

Outside PCI-E, you should get a 9800 pro, they should be down to sub 200$ prices and the 9800 can take on a 5900 any day, any system.

Budget range: In the PCI-E side, get a 6200.
On the AGP, a 9600 Pro should be had for under 100$/
Last edited by Ace Pace on Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

I really should pay attention to this stuff since I'm planning on getting a new vidoe card myself. But alas, my laziness gets me and I just put my faith in my father's expert opinion on video card purchases.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Robert Walper wrote:I really should pay attention to this stuff since I'm planning on getting a new vidoe card myself. But alas, my laziness gets me and I just put my faith in my father's expert opinion on video card purchases.
I put myself above him.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Ace Pace wrote:
Robert Walper wrote:I really should pay attention to this stuff since I'm planning on getting a new vidoe card myself. But alas, my laziness gets me and I just put my faith in my father's expert opinion on video card purchases.
I put myself above him.
On the specific issue of video cards, or hardware in general?
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Modern anything outside Optical drives and networks.

I won't claim in-depth knowledge, but on what to buy, I'm good.

Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Ace Pace wrote:Modern anything outside Optical drives and networks.

I won't claim in-depth knowledge, but on what to buy, I'm good.
I'll keep that in mind any time I intent to buy computer hardware then. :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm using a Radeon 9600xp. It was a good buy and it's a great card. I recommend it.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Superman wrote:I'm using a Radeon 9600xp. It was a good buy and it's a great card. I recommend it.
And its old, not saying its a bad card, just saying if you buy today, theres better stuff at that price.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I ain't familiar with X800 cards, but ATI is notorious regarding to backward compatibility (or the lack thereof) for old games, especially when turning on the FSAA.

6800 plays Falcon 4.0 and Jane's F/A-18 with no problem. nVidia cards can also force AF in European Air War. Now how about X800? Is there any improvements in backward compatibility?
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

My lack of old games and an X800 to test that hurt me.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm still with my May 2003 purchase of Radeon 9200. Suits me fine, though I'd recommend something in the X/6 series (ATi/nVidia) - or send them to Ace Pace for more details.
Ferran
Acolyte

Post by Ferran »

I just got meself a wonderful newish Radeon 9800pro -- it's all I could afford when i got it, but it does lovely things so I don't complain...

Now I just need to upgrade the rest of my system.. mebbe get a harddrive that's a bit faster than 5200rpm... I might as well get a S/ATA hard drive.. mebbe 7200rpm.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

This guide has just been updated.

Lonestar
Acolyte

Post by Lonestar »

Your article is in dire need of an Update, my Friend. I got a EVGA 8800 GTS 640MB for my system, and it's a dream.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy!" -J.F.K.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Uh no shit, I'll work on one, meanwhile, destickied.