Hamas leader assassination in Dubai

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

#1 Hamas leader assassination in Dubai

Post by The Minx »

This is a pretty big news item, and since we haven't a thread on it yet, here goes:

Link
Dubai, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- It was something straight out of a James Bond film: A team of alleged killers in a swank Dubai hotel, some of them scoping out their target in an elevator while dressed in tennis clothes and carrying rackets and backpacks.

The suspects, seen on security videotapes, fall short of the dashing and debonair assassins seen on film. They are ordinary, unremarkable. They do not stand out or draw attention to themselves. But their mission, according to Dubai police, was a chilling one: the cold-blooded murder of a top Hamas official.

And that alleged mission was a success -- the body of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, a founding member of Hamas' military wing, was found in his hotel room the following day, January 20.

Authorities have not said how al-Mabhouh died, but told his family there were signs of electric shocks on his legs, behind his ears, on his genitals and over his heart. Blood on a pillow led police to believe he was suffocated. The killers left some of al-Mabhouh's medicine next to his bed in an apparent effort to suggest his death was not suspicious, police said.

Dubai police on Monday named 11 suspects in the case -- 10 men and a woman -- and released their pictures. An international arrest warrant was issued Tuesday.

Officials involved in the investigation, however, have told CNN there are 17 suspects involved -- one Palestinian and 16 Europeans -- although only 11 names have been released. Some suspects were in touch with others outside the country, the officials said.

One of the Palestinians -- a man believed to have met, at the airport, the alleged mastermind, a man from France who is seen on closed-circuit television handing him an envelope -- was arrested in Jordan, and led authorities to a second Palestinian. Both of the Palestinians were living in the United Arab Emirates and had residential visas, authorities said. They have been returned to Dubai, where they remain in custody.

But questions remain about who the suspects are -- and who they were working for. Police have said the 11 were holding European passports -- one from France, three from Ireland, six from Britain and one from Germany.

The British government, however, has said it believes the passports used were fraudulent. On Wednesday, the French government said the passport from that country also was fraudulent. Ireland said it was unable to find any record of passports being issued with details that have been reported in the UAE.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Wednesday called for a full investigation into the alleged fraudulent passports.

Meanwhile, the passports have caused consternation in Israel, where up to seven people are wondering how their names got on the travel documents. They deny any knowledge of al-Mabhouh's death.

Hamas has called al-Mabhouh's death an "assassination," and mourners at his funeral in Damascus, Syria, speculated that the Israeli intelligence unit, Mossad, was behind it. Al-Mabhouh, according to Hamas, was behind the kidnapping and killing of two Israeli soldiers in 1989.

Israeli security sources have told CNN that al-Mabhouh was a key link between Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas and he was involved in smuggling arms to Gaza. The same sources also pointed out an arms dealer could have many enemies, not just Israel.

Israel has a stated policy on security matters of neither confirming or denying involvement, and government officials in Israel denied comment on the "assassination" statement.

"The Israeli policy has always been to be vague regarding security activities, and that is the right policy," Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman told Israel Army Radio on Wednesday.

But, he said, "There is certainly no reason to think that the Mossad and not some other intelligence agency of another country operated there."

According to police, the suspects arrived in Dubai the day before the killing. Five of them carried out the crime while the remaining six served as lookouts, police said. The suspects stayed in different hotels, used only cash and did not talk to each other on the phone.

Dubai police have said the alleged mastermind stayed at a luxury hotel in Dubai, but also booked a room at the al Bustan Rotana hotel, where al-Mabhouh was killed.

The French suspect requested Room 237 -- directly across from where al-Mabhouh was staying in Room 230, police say -- but the suspect apparently never stayed there. Instead, police say the rest of the group used the room to plot the killing and the alleged mastermind left the country before it was carried out.

Footage on security cameras at Dubai International Airport show one of the suspects following al-Mabhouh after he landed, police said. Two others followed him once he arrived at the hotel, police said, taking the same elevator dressed as tennis players and ensuring al-Mabhouh was staying in Room 230.

Police said they believe the suspects entered al-Mabhouh's room about 8 p.m. after the hotel cleaning crew finished their rotation on the floor, using an electronic device to gain entry.

Al-Mabhouh entered his room at 8:25 p.m., hotel security cameras and an electronic read-out of his room key show. Police say it was no more than 10 minutes before the suspects left the room and headed immediately to the airport, where they boarded flights to various cities in Europe and Asia, police said.

Before leaving, police said, the group took great care to make sure the room looked orderly, removing anything that might indicate a struggle. The suspects also deliberately turned the safety lock on the room door from the inside in order to suggest the death was normal, police said.

The alleged assassination plot is "not that surprising," Gary Berntsen, a former officer and longtime CIA operative, told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Tuesday.

"The question is whether the government or the organization that wanted to do it had the will to do it," he said. "Assassinating somebody like that is not that difficult. It's a matter of will."

The case has caused a furor in Israel, however, as up to seven people have the same names as suspects in the case. None resembled the photos released by police, however, and several have denied involvement to the media.

"I am simply in complete shock," one of them, Stephen Daniel Hodes, told CNN. "I don't know what is happening. ... I don't know how they reached me. This isn't a picture of me, of course. I don't know who took my details or how they got them. I haven't left the country in, I think, two years, and I've never been to Dubai. I don't know what is happening and I'm simply afraid."

Another man, British-board repairman Paul John Keeley, told the Israeli daily newspaper Haaretz, "I'm in shock -- I just don't understand how something like this could happen."

"From the moment I heard about it I was very worried. I'm worried for my family," said Keeley, 43 and the father of three. "I don't know who a person calls when their identity is stolen. I'm waiting for someone from the British or Israeli government to contact me and give me answers."

Government officials working as part of the investigation team told CNN that the passports were used in trips to Europe and Asia during the last six months, and some were used to obtain credit cards and rental cars.

Haaretz's education correspondent, Or Kashti, bears a striking resemblance to one of the suspects' photos. In a column Tuesday, he wrote that even his mother asked him if he'd been abroad recently.

Asked about the allegedly fraudulent passports and the expertise required to do it, Berntsen, the former CIA operative, told CNN, "There are a lot of countries that can do this. ... When we entered Kabul (Afghanistan) in 2001, we found that the Taliban themselves had been doing, you know, photo substitution on passports. ... It's not that complicated."

The Israeli government or Israeli security services isn't necessarily responsible, he said. "We have had cases where Americans decided to go off and participate in operations as mercenaries. I don't see why, you know, you wouldn't see individual businessmen doing the same thing."
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

And to follow up, here's a newer piece:

Link
Britain last night fired the first shot in a potentially explosive diplomatic row with Israel by calling in the country's ambassador to explain the use of faked British passports by a hit squad who targeted a Hamas official in Dubai.

The Israeli ambassador has been summoned to the Foreign Office to "share information" about the assassins' use of identities stolen from six British citizens living in Israel, as part of the meticulously orchestrated assassination of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh.

Britain has stopped short of accusing Israel of involvement, but to signal its displeasure, the Foreign Office ignored an Israeli plea to keep the summons secret. "Relations were in the freezer before this. They are in the deep freeze now," an official told the Guardian.

Gordon Brown yesterday launched an investigation into the use of the fake passports, which will be led by the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca). The British embassy in Tel Aviv is also contacting the British nationals affected in the plot, "and stands ready to provide them with the support that they need", the Foreign Office said in a statement last night.

"The British passport is an important part of being British and we have to make sure everything is done to protect it," Brown told LBC Radio yesterday.

Israel's foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, insisted there was no proof that the Mossad was involved in Mabhouh's killing in a Dubai hotel last month, but added that Israel had a "policy of ambiguity" on intelligence matters.

However, there were calls in Israel for an internal government inquiry into whether the Mossad was responsible for identity theft from dual nationals, and criticism of its chief, Meir Dagan, for what critics described as a clumsy operation that risked alienating European allies.

"What began as a heart attack turned out to be an assassination, which led to a probe, which turned into the current passport affair," a columnist, Yoav Limor, wrote in Israel Hayom, a pro-government newspaper. "It is doubtful whether this is the end of the affair."

Israel's ambassador to London, Ron Prosor, will meet Peter Ricketts, head of the diplomatic service and the permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office.

Yesterday more details emerged about the assassination plot:

• The Guardian learned that a key Hamas security official is under arrest in Syria on suspicion of having helped the assassins identify Mabhouh as their target.

• Reports that the hit squad could have been bigger than the 11 suspects named by the Dubai police appear to have been confirmed by surveillance pictures showing other possible accomplices, including a second woman.

• Authorities in Vienna have begun an investigation into whether Austria was used as a logistical hub for the operation, after seven of the mobile phones used by the killers had Austrian SIM cards.

• Three of the killers entered Dubai with forged Irish passports that had numbers lifted from legitimate travel documents.

It is not the first British-Israeli row over the misuse of British passports. British officials are particularly angry because the Israeli government pledged that there would be no repeat of an incident in 1987, in which Mossad agents acquired and tampered with British passports.

Lieberman said he believed that relations with Britain would not be damaged. "I think Britain recognises that Israel is a responsible country and that our security activity is conducted according to very clear, cautious and responsible rules of the game. Therefore we have no cause for concern," he said.

However, the former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell, a member of the Commons foreign affairs committee, welcomed the decision to confront the Israeli government directly. He said: "If the Israeli government was party to behaviour of this kind it would be a serious violation of trust between nations."

France yesterday also claimed that the French passport used by one of the assassins had been forged. A source close to the French intelligence services told Reuters a French passport which Dubai said had been used in the operation had a valid number but incorrect name. "It was a very good fake," the source said.

Hamas, meanwhile, vowed vengeance for Mabhouh's assassination. At a memorial rally in Gaza, Hamas militants vowed that the movement's armed wing, Izz-el Deen al-Qassam, "will never rest until they reach his killers".

This is not going to go away anytime soon. Pretty sloppy operation too.
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

It is kinda of sloppy which is why it's a wonder. Israel had motive but this doesn't really fit their MO. Israel tends to do big dramatic splashy killings that are clearly assassinations. Part of that is for deterrence value, another part propaganda and a last part is simply practical. Trying to make it look like a natural death (even in the half ass fashion suggested) isn't what they normally do.

On the flip side, there aren't many other suspects. The Contintental European powers could have ordered a hit and frankly this fits in with the style of a few of them, but they don't give a rat's ass about what HAMAS does to Israel. Same goes for Russia and most everyone else. We get excited about what HAMAS does to Israel but we don't kill people this way. We have fleets of flying robot assassins to do the deed for us and our 2nd favored method is to use helicopters or military teams. In short the firepower is to low for the United States Government S.O.P.

England might have a beef with HAMAS but frankly I think a MI6 team would have known not to hit him in a hotel covered with cameras. I mean they operate from the UK which is currently trying to set up it's own version of big brother, they have to be aware of the problems cameras pose.

While I'm not ruling out Israel (they have motive and they've fucked up worse in the past). At the same time, while I'm not an expert by any means, this kinda feels like a private job. Like a team of people who done things like this before in lower rent environments or something. Mercs used by Iran maybe or an Arab government. Or hell even a Cooperation for some reason.

I'll admit though Isreal is the strongest runner on the list though. I'm just not sure it's a slam dunk case.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Israel's supposed prowess at assassination isn't really supported by the facts (or at least the ones available to the public). Their history shows a lot of sloppiness. Like the US, throwing high explosives that inflicts serious collateral casualties from something that flies is their strong point.

That having been said, while they are number one on my list it isn't a slam dunk. Tthe PLO is also up there. With all the arms smuggling they do I'm sure some forged/stolen/identity theft passports is within their reach.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Well this set off a nice storm here. Amusing anecdote is after publishing of the photographs of the suspects, the new national sport is to claim you identify one of them. :smile:
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."