10 dead as Israeli forces storm Gaza aid convoy

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

#1 10 dead as Israeli forces storm Gaza aid convoy

Post by The Minx »

Link
(CNN) -- International condemnation poured in Monday after Israeli soldiers stormed a flotilla of ships carrying aid intended for Palestinians in Gaza, leaving at least 10 people dead in the resulting violence.

Israel claimed it was defending itself, with the Israel Defense Forces saying the soldiers' lives were in danger after they were attacked with "severe physical violence, including live fire, weapons, knives and clubs."

IDF spokeswoman Lt. Col. Avital Leibowitz said light weapons and handguns were confiscated. "We basically encountered a lynch," she said. "We had to control this violence."

But other nations condemned the military action and called for an investigation.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said the United States "deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries sustained and is currently working to understand the circumstances surrounding this tragedy."

World reaction

The Spanish and French governments called the action "disproportionate." The Italian foreign minister asked the European Union to investigate, and several nations, including Greece and Sweden, were summoning their Israeli ambassadors.

An indignant Turkey recalled its ambassador from Israel, canceled three planned military exercises with the Israeli military and called home its youth national football team, which had two games scheduled in Israel, said Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc.

Q&A: What is the blockade about

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan was in Chile, but will return after meeting with the Chilean president, Arinc said. The chief of the Turkish military was cutting short a trip to Egypt. The Turkish foreign minister, in Venezuela, was calling the United Nations Security Council to an emergency meeting, Arinc said.

"This operation will leave a bloody stain on the history of humanity," Arinc said. A Turkish group, the Humanitarian Relief Foundation or IHH, was one of the organizers of the flotilla, but people from various nations were aboard.

In a statement, Bahrain called it a "barbaric attack" on the part of Israel.

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, an envoy for the Middle East Quartet, a group of nations working toward peace in the region, said in a statement Monday: "There obviously has to be a full investigation into what has happened. Once again I repeat my view that we need a different and better way of helping the people of Gaza and avoiding the hardship and tragedy that is inherent in the present situation."

Current Foreign Minister William Hague said: "We have consistently advised against attempting to access Gaza in this way, because of the risks involved. But at the same time, there is a clear need for Israel to act with restraint and in line with international obligations."

Five Israeli soldiers were wounded, the military said. The ships of the flotilla were being taken to the Israeli port of Ashdod, according to IDF.

The Free Gaza Movement, one of the groups sponsoring the flotilla, disputed Israel's claim of violence by people aboard the ships.

"At about 4:30 am, Israeli commandos dropped from a helicopter onto deck of Turkish ship, immediately opened fire on unarmed civilians," said a post on the group's Twitter page.

Video aired on CNN sister network CNN Turk showed soldiers abseiling onto the deck of a ship from a helicopter above. The boarding of the ships took place more than 70 nautical miles outside Israeli territorial waters, according to IHH.

The Turkish foreign ministry said the incident "might cause irreversible consequences" in the nation's relationship with Israel.

"Israel has once again clearly demonstrated that it does not value human lives and peaceful initiatives through targeting innocent civilians," the statement said. "We strongly condemn these inhuman acts of Israel."

Meanwhile, a protest that began outside the Israeli embassy in Istanbul on Sunday continued into Monday. Although largely peaceful, police did use water cannons at one point to keep demonstrators at bay. Israel issued a "serious travel warning" for Israelis visiting Turkey. Those planning to travel to Turkey were asked to postpone their trip, while those in Turkey were advised to stay indoors.

The Israeli PM office has issues a serious travel warning for Israeli travelers visiting Turkey. The warning calls Israelis who are about to travel into Turkey to postpone their trip and for Israelis in Turkey to remain indoors and avoid presence in the city centers.

In Gaza, where the flotilla was headed, Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri called for global support of the Palestinian cause.

"The Israeli attack on the Freedom Flotilla is an ugly crime and against international law and this reflects the nature of the criminal Israeli occupation," Zuhri said. "We call upon the free world Arab and Muslim world to stand in support and help and support the international activists who have been subjected to killing in the middle of the sea."

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called for three days of mourning in the Palestinian territories to honor the lives lost.

Israeli government spokesman Mark Regev accused the leaders of the flotilla of looking for a fight.

"They wanted to make a political statement. They wanted violence," according to Regev, who said Israel wanted a peaceful interception of the ships trying to break Israel's blockade of Gaza. "They are directly responsible for the violence and the deaths that occurred."

The convoy of boats approached Gaza in defiance of an Israeli blockade and had been shadowed by three Israeli warships. Free Gaza had reported Sunday that they had been contacted by the Israeli navy.

The boats left European ports in a consolidated protest organized by two pro-Palestinian groups to deliver tons of food and other aid to Gaza to break a blockade imposed by Israel in 2007.

The maritime convoys were organized by both the Free Gaza Movement and the IHH, a humanitarian relief foundation affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood religious group.

Israel said Sunday that Western and Turkish authorities have accused IHH of having "working relations" with different terrorist organizations.

When I first heard this I thought, what are they thinking? This is a terrible move, and only serves to inflame the situation.
Librium Arcana resident ⑨-ball
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm not defending Israel (it's to early to know), but these guys knew that there was a blockade and had been confronted by Israeli forces and forced to withdraw before. They were basically trying to force a confrontation.

I would like to see the weapons seized before I make a call.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

The current Israeli line is rather obvious, Israel blocked the ships attempt to reach Gaza, which is under a military blockade. 5 out of six ships headed for Gaza were peacefully stopped. The sixth was armed and resisted the Israeli forces.
Their idea of resisting included assaulting, stabbing multiple soldiers and inviting fire. The Israeli reply was obvious, mass fire. I'm not really sure what the official government line is beyond that, being just back from work, but probably some stuff centered around "An unfortunate provocation by the Peace Activists against our blockade of Gaza lead to multiple deaths, we apologize. "

In addition, Haartz, Israels left wing intellectual newspaper, has some interesting articles.

Nine activists aboard the ship were killed and several more wounded in the clashes that erupted with Israel Navy troops at 4 A.M. on Monday. Eight of the Israeli soldiers were wounded, two of them seriously.

The other ships were towed to port over the course of the afternoon, with dozens of the activists detained for refusing to sign Israel's deportation orders. Only some 25 of the activists agreed to the order.

At least two of the activists who were wounded on the ship were detained after refusing treatment at the Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon. Some 34 of the foreigners were treated hospitals across Israel for their wounds.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Derek Thunder
Disciple

Post by Derek Thunder »

When I first heard this I thought, what are they thinking?
That the population of Gaza is chronically malnourished, suffering from a two-year long blockade, and that they have a moral obligation to intervene on behalf of those people? Simple, broham. Well, that, and bringing awareness to the fact that the blockade still exists, which has barely been reported on at all in the west after the conclusion of Cast Lead.
I would like to see the weapons seized before I make a call.
I predict the only things that will be found are ad-hoc weapons like clubs, sticks, and so forth. A far cry from the original claims by Israel that the convoy would be carrying heavy arms and rockets.
Last edited by Derek Thunder on Mon May 31, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Derek Thunder wrote:
When I first heard this I thought, what are they thinking?
That the population of Gaza is chronically malnourished, suffering from a two-year long blockade, and that they have a moral obligation to intervene on behalf of those people? Simple, broham. Well, that, and bringing awareness to the fact that the blockade still exists, which has barely been reported on at all in the west after the conclusion of Cast Lead.
Um, yea. Actually, I wasn't talking about the activists. I see now that my post was ambiguous :wink:

But Ace Pace answered my question.
Derek Thunder
Disciple

Post by Derek Thunder »

The Minx wrote:Um, yea. Actually, I wasn't talking about the activists. I see now that my post was ambiguous :wink:

But Ace Pace answered my question.
Ooooooh. My bad.
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Considering how fast this is becoming a big diplomatic mess, the odds are weapons will be found whether or not they were there originally or not. Its the kind of things governments do when shit hits the fan this hard.

Just a reminder, Israel considers things like cement contraband if destined for Gaza. This isn't a "anything that isn't a weapon is cool" kind of blockade and its part of the reason the situation with regards to humanitarian aid is so inflamed.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

To be fair, the reason cement is considered contraband is that HAMAS has been caught grabbing it and using it to build bunkers. You can argue for that one way or the other.

This is a huge mess either way though.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:To be fair, the reason cement is considered contraband is that HAMAS has been caught grabbing it and using it to build bunkers. You can argue for that one way or the other.

This is a huge mess either way though.
Well its obvious why cement is considered contraband, but it does show how bad the blockade is as well as showing how ridiculous it is to consider Gaza et. al. anything but conquered territory.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The news is showing footage of the incident taken from several cameras. I'm basing this only on what I could see, but it shows Israeli commandos rappelling down from helicopter onto the deck of the ship, and being immediately set upon by the crew with sticks and knives. One commando is thrown overboard, and two others are prominently and visibly stabbed by crew members and then beaten with clubs. It is at that point that shots are fired (by who I can't tell).

My impression from this footage is that the Israelis fired in self-defense.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

I got to be honest. I suspect full investigation will show it's much less simple than the Boston Massacre 2010.(Though it's already being used like it!)

But.. I just can't get worked up about it. It's so depressingly repetitive. 'Israeli forces overreact, people die, diplomatic chaos follows.'

And in a few months or a year? It'll be happening again.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Do you have a link to the footage Havoc? Because if the troops are being attacked and openly stabbed, then frankly the people on the boat should have expected to be shot.
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

i found these links in response to frigid's request

captioned nightshot clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU12KW-X ... r_embedded

Another angle of nightshot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYjkLUcbJWo (Note that the soldiers seem to be using paintball guns, which I would have to assume are a non-lethal deterrent system.)

Not sure what news network this is, but seems interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3RM2ckcXRQ
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The second piece of footage above was one of the two that I saw. Unfortunately I saw it on the CBS news on TV, and don't have a link to the other piece of footage.

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Found another one of interest from the BBC and the last 28 seconds approx are a loop of about 3 seconds of info showing a militant assaulting an Israeli Soldier with a lead pipe, the Israeli unable to fully form a defense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O5N1Gh3 ... re=related

I found this extended version here at this BBC link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle ... 195838.stm

Also just found this link, you might find this interesting as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKOmLP4y ... re=related

Note also on the second link, there is a long article with at least 1 mini vid, and if you watch the primary vid all through then you will get extension linked to a piece with Ehud Barak.
Last edited by Jason_Firewalker on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Israel has decided to release the activists, and the aid reaches Gaza. There are also pictures in the link of protests from around the world.

Regardless of the legality of the operation or whether the activists attacked the solders first, Israel really managed to piss off a lot of people with this. They should have waited until the ships were out of international waters at the very least (and that's assuming that the blockade should even be there at all).

Link
(CNN) -- Israel began releasing activists detained from a Gaza aid flotilla Tuesday as humanitarian cargo aboard the ships was unloaded and taken into the blockaded Palestinian territory.

Israel's moves came as the Jewish state came under blistering international criticism, especially from Turkey, its closest Muslim ally.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused Israel of a "bloody massacre."

"We see clear murder taking place, and we see an aggressive country" that's not regretting this, Erdogan said Tuesday in a parliamentary address. "We're sick and tired of your lies. Be honest."

Also Tuesday, Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak approved the opening of the Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt for humanitarian purposes, state-owned television reported.

The border crossing linking Egypt to Gaza will be kept open for only a few days, Palestinian officials said.

Meanwhile, three people died in an Israeli airstrike in the Gaza town of Beit Lahiya, Palestinian sources told CNN. The Israel Defense Force (IDF) confirmed it launched a strike that generated secondary explosions, suggesting that ammunition or explosives were in that area.

Israeli imposed a blockade of Gaza in 2007 after the militant Hamas took control of the Palestinian area and Egypt closed off the Rafah crossing. The aid flotilla challenged the blockade.

The IDF said the aid aboard the flotilla's three cargo ships had been transferred into Gaza through the Kerem Shalom border crossing, a main entry point used by Israel.

In the pre-dawn raid, Israeli soldiers rappelled onto the deck of the ships from a helicopter. The boarding of the ships took place in international waters more than 70 nautical miles (130 km) outside Israeli territorial waters, according to IHH, one of the flotilla organizers.

Were you there? Send stories, images

It is not clear how many people died. Israel put the number at nine, but did not release the names of those who died. The Free Gaza Movement, one of the groups that organized the six-ship convoy, said the fatalities numbered higher but did not offer an exact number.

Seven Israeli soldiers were wounded in the raid, the Israel Defense Forces said Monday. And Turkey was dispatching three planes to bring back 20 wounded citizens.

Israel described the flotilla as a "provocation" and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu canceled a scheduled meeting with Obama this week to return to Israel to manage the crisis.

Netanyahu said Tuesday that Israeli troops had faced a lynch mob.

Yigal Palmor, the Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman, told CNN on Tuesday that Israel regrets the casualties but said "the sole responsibility" for the violent incident lies with activists who have "chosen violence and confrontation."

Israel said that 600 activists in the flotilla were transported to Beer Sheva prison in southern Israel.

Activists directly involved in violence against Israeli soldiers will be charged accordingly, said an Israeli foreign ministry official, who asked not to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the media.

Forty-five activists agreed to identify themselves to Israeli authorities and are citizens of the following countries: Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Sweden, Turkey, the United States and the United Kingdom. They have now either left Israel or are on their way out of the country, an Israeli official said.

Those who remain detained are ones who have refused to identify themselves to Israeli immigration authorities, an Israeli Prison Authority spokesman told CNN. None have been placed under arrest, he said.

Among the ones who have refused to give their names are many foreigners, a police spokesman said.

How has the world reacted to the raid?

The process involved in deporting these latter protesters is more complicated because it requires the involvement of foreign diplomats, police said.

Citizens of Arab countries were being prepared for release, two diplomatic sources said Tuesday.

All Arab citizens besides Egyptians will be released from Beer Sheva and moved to the Jordanian border for deportation Tuesday evening, an Arab and an Israeli source said. Egyptian nationals will be transferred elsewhere, but it's unclear when. Israel shares a border with Egypt.

The attack sparked protests in several countries and brought condemnation worldwide.

Q&A: Aid and Israel's Gaza blockade

The U.N. Security Council called for a "prompt, impartial, credible and transparent" investigation into Monday's raid by Israel.

"The Security Council deeply regrets the loss of life and injuries resulting from the use of force during the Israeli military operation in international waters against the convoy sailing to Gaza," the 15-member council said in a statement.

"The council in this context condemns those acts which resulted in the loss of at least 10 civilians and expresses condolences to the families," it said.

The ships were carrying more than 10,000 tons of aid and 600 passengers from more than 20 countries, according to the Free Gaza Movement.

About 1,000 people from an Islamic hard-line group rallied peacefully in Jakarta, Indonesia, on Tuesday to protest the Israeli action. Rallies were planned as well in New York and Chicago, Illinois.

Raid sparks demonstrations around the world

Despite strong condemnation of the deadly attack, especially from Turkey, the delivery of four Israeli drones to Turkey will not be interrupted, Turkish Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul said on Tuesday.

"We expect the remaining Herons to be delivered in June or July," Gonul said.

Some of the first accounts emerged Tuesday from eyewitnesses who were aboard several boats stormed by Israeli forces as they approached Gaza the day before.

Hanin Zoabi, a member of the Israeli parliament, was on board the Miva Marmara, the ship that was the scene of the confrontation between activists and Israeli soldiers. The Israeli Navy fired on the ships five minutes before commandos descended from ropes that dangled from helicopters, Zoabi said during a news conference in Nazareth, Israel. She said passengers on board the ship were unarmed.

Israel has said its forces found several weapons among the passengers on the Miva Marmara. Israel also has said that its forces started shooting after passengers on the Miva Marmara assaulted them.

Zoabi said the military operation lasted about an hour and that she saw five dead bodies in that time.

Israel said the goods that the convoy was carrying were being sent to their intended destination in Gaza. Palestinian officials confirmed that five trucks were allowed into Gaza, carrying wheelchairs.

President Barack Obama expressed "deep regret" at the deaths and "also expressed the importance of learning all the facts and circumstances around this morning's tragic events as soon as possible," the White House said Monday.

Why the raid will cause headaches for the United States

That did not impress Turkey's ambassador to the United States, Namik Tan, who called the U.S. response "sort of weak."

"Israel should not get away with this," Tan said.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The entire purpose of the operation, as described by the organizers of the convoy, was to cause Israel to be cast in a bad light by whatever means were necessary. The Israelis probably should have waited until the ship was out of international waters, but the goal of the entire operation was to make Israel look like a bunch of evil thugs.

And I suppose they succeeded, by some standards.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Blockades are not required to be only in national waters and my frank thought is even if Israel had waited it wouldn't have mattered. I'm not a fan of the blockade. If it was me, I wouldn't allow war materials into Gaza either (I remind the board that several times shipments of military weapons to HAMAS has been intercepted) including things like cement or metal rebar. I'm however gonna quote a damiyo who allowed salt through his battle lines to his enemy.

"I win my wars with swords. Not Salt."

Starving people isn't a solution.

That said, I sat down and watched the videos above. Those "peace activists" *spits* are trying to kill those troops. That isn't a panicky attempt to defend themselves. It's a flat out attempt to lynch Israeli troops who hadn't committed violence yet. A metal pole can kill even a troop in full gear. If they had tried that with US Marines, we would have opened fire to and all of you who say we shouldn't be damned. We have a right to act to preserve our lives and those of our fellows. To hell with these activists.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

That said, I sat down and watched the videos above. Those "peace activists" *spits* are trying to kill those troops. That isn't a panicky attempt to defend themselves. It's a flat out attempt to lynch Israeli troops who hadn't committed violence yet. A metal pole can kill even a troop in full gear. If they had tried that with US Marines, we would have opened fire to and all of you who say we shouldn't be damned. We have a right to act to preserve our lives and those of our fellows. To hell with these activists.
I will note however that if the blockade itself violates international law, which due to the starvation in Gaza it does, then violently resisting it is perfectly legitimate.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Comrade Tortoise wrote:
I will note however that if the blockade itself violates international law, which due to the starvation in Gaza it does, then violently resisting it is perfectly legitimate.
Violent resistance, if I am not mistaken, at that point can only be taken by members of the nation being blockaded or their allies, and their allies can only do so through proper military channels. I don't think a bunch of armed thugs with metal pipes count as a part of the Turkish military.
-- Sir Issac Asimov

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Comrade Tortoise wrote:I will note however that if the blockade itself violates international law, which due to the starvation in Gaza it does, then violently resisting it is perfectly legitimate.
The extent to which the blockade itself violates international law is not anywhere close to that open and shut of a question. The Israelis offered to send the aid supplies on to Gaza after inspecting them to ensure that they had no military cargo. This offer was refused. Israel is now saying that the supplies that they have recovered that are not military materials will be going on to Gaza. Whatever you believe about the blockade, it does not consist of the evil Israelis attempting to starve the Palestinians to death.

Moreover the "it's against international law" argument runs many different ways. Neither the Palestinians (nor for that matter the Turks) should be so quick to throw those words around.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm looking up the laws on blockades right now, actually. I've found that the first laws were established by the Congress of Paris in 1856.

source

It states the following:
he Plenipotentiaries who signed the Treaty of Paris of March assembled in conference,

Considering: That maritime law in time of war has long been the subject of deplorable disputes;

That the uncertainty of the law and of the duties in such a matter gives rise to differences of opinion between neutrals and belligerents which may occasion serious difficulties, and even conflicts; that it is consequently advantageous to establish a uniform doctrine on so important a point;

That the Plenipotentiaries assembled in Congress at Paris cannot better respond to the intentions by which their Governments are animated than by seeking to introduce into International relations fixed principles in this respect.

The above-mentioned Plenipotentiaries, being duly authorized, resolved to concert among themselves as to the means of attaining this object; and having come to an agreement, have adopted the following solemn declaration:

1. Privateering is and remains abolished;

2. The neutral flag covers enemy's goods, with the exception of contraband of war;

3. Neutral goods, with the exception of contraband of war, are not liable to capture under enemy's flag;

4. Blockades, in order to be binding, must be effective-that is to say, maintained by a forge sufficient really to prevent access to the coast of the enemy.

The Governments of the undersigned Plenipotentiaries engage to bring the present declaration to the knowledge of the States which have not taken part in the Congress of Paris, and to invite them to accede.

Convinced that the maxims which they now proclaim cannot but be received with gratitude by the whole world, the undersigned Plenipotentiaries doubt not that the efforts of their Governments to obtain the general adoption thereof will be crowned with full success.

The present Declaration is not and shall not be binding, except between those Powers who have acceded, or shall accede, to it.
There is a futher discussion of it here

Ships carrying out a blockade have a right to search neutral shipping. Shipping that resists is no longer neutral and made be considered hostile.

The declaration of London in 1910 was never made official. So I won't quote it. In modern times the Security council decides whether a blockade is legal or not. As far has I know the Security Council has made no ruling and let's be honest it would be worthless to make any attempts to have it do so.

I should point out that the USN did blockade Japan, including food supplies and the legality of that act was never questioned. Nor was the British blockade of Germany in WWI.

Now my information is incomplete if anyone has additional laws to bring to the table please do so.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

IDF's Spokeman on the web(Spokesblog?) has some photos of the weaponry onboard.

Link

Wood poles, knives, wrenches, flares, screws, bolts, some metal poles, gas masks.. OH! Water Bottles with marbles in them! And.. Slingshots.

I'm really trying to not make a joke about the Israeli hawks fearing Dennis The Menace coming for them.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

So it's clear that they weren't smuggling military weapons to Gaza. It's also clear that they created improvised weapons, which couldn't possibly win a fight but would be deadly enough to provoke a lethal response.

Shit, this whole thing was staged wasn't it?
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Of course it was staged. The entire purpose of this convoy was to force a confrontation.