Iran fires rocket from space center

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Iran fires rocket from space center

Post by frigidmagi »

CNN
Iran fired a rocket from its newly inaugurated space center Monday, laying the groundwork for what it says will be the future launch of its first domestically produced satellite, the semi-official FARS news agency reported.
art.iran.afp.gi.jpg

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad visits the space center in Tehran on Monday.
Click to view previous image
1 of 2
Click to view next image

The "Researcher One" rocket is designed to carry a satellite into a low earth orbit.

The report said the rocket was launched "into space." But similar previous technological achievements announced by the Islamic republic have been greeted with doubt by analysts.

Monday's launch came a short time after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad inaugurated the center Monday, according to the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency.

Ahmadinejad said Iran's first step in the field of space technology had been taken wisely and precisely, IRNA reported.

"With the launch, Iran has joined the world's top 11 countries possessing space technology to build satellites, and launch rockets into space," state TV said.

In February 2007, Iran announced the launch of "its first satellite into space," the state-run Iranian Students News Agency reported at the time. But the satellite did not reach orbit.

Monday's report did not say how high the research rocket had climbed to.

Space is considered to begin at 60 miles (100 kilometers) above ground. Ham radio satellites orbit from 100 miles up, while communication, weather and global-positioning satellites fly at an altitude of between 250 and 12,000 miles, according to The Associated Press.

Amid fears in the West that Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons, some experts believe Iran's space program is possibly a cover to improve its military ballistic missiles.
Think of this, today there are folks alive who can remember the first Soviet launch that opened the space age. Now we're at the point where even a nation like Iran can reasonably hope to develop the tech and means to toss things into orbit.

I wonder how crowded it is gonna get up there in the next 30 years?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Ali Sama
Initiate

Post by Ali Sama »

i need to leave this planet. yes I do.
"In eternal damnation we sow the seeds of man, so we may delight in their pain and sorrow, basking them in our infinite love.."
Charles reed March 21, 2230

My live Journal