Gary Gygax Dead at 69

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1 Gary Gygax Dead at 69

Post by LadyTevar »

CNN wrote:MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (AP) -- Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans, many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as January, she said.

"It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them," Gygax said. "He really enjoyed that."

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures with the help of complicated rules. The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that's still growing in popularity.

Funeral arrangements are pending. Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by six children.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

It's a sad day. :cry:
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Even sadder... even out of the IT Geeks in the office, I'm the only one who knew who he was :mad:

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

I never played D&D, but kudos for scaring the shit out of uptight parents across the country in the 80's. Oh, and for all the games I've played that used some variation of the D&D character creation mechanism.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

RIP Gary. Thanks for helping make a game that inspired so many, brought so much joy and happiness and gave so many hours of pleasure to so many.

You will be missed.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Wether or not he'll be missed he WILL be remembered. Rest in peace, Mr Gygax. You were involved with something that gave great joy to a lot of people and for that, I am thankful.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

It was thanks to Gary Gygax that I began table-top gaming in the first place.

My dice rest in silence for him.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Well, he proved that in the end we all roll that natural 1.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

B4UTRUST wrote:Well, he proved that in the end we all roll that natural 1.
I fucking knew someone was going to say it. Ass.

(Yeah, I'm annoyed because despite it being in bad taste, I talked myself out of saying it.)
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Are you kidding? This is Gary Gygax, father of the RPG industry damn near. He would be the first in line to support that statement and to make the claim that he failed his Fort save.

It's not in poor taste when it's the taste that the deceased themselves would have used!
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

My RPG junkie status led me to a venue I could happily socialize in without fear, express my wierdness regularly, and even found me the most wonderful and caring woman in my life. I have no idea how my life would have turned out if I hadn't found the old boxed set in my older cousin's closet when he let me rifle through his stuff one summer, but I think I am happier for it.

Rest in peace, Mr. Gygax, because if you have to fail your saving throw vs. Death, sixty nine years is still a good run. Your work and the fun and chaos it created lives on in a thousand ways.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

There have been tributes circling the web. I've decided to post a couple of the good ones.

Penny Arcade posted this one. It might be the classiest thing they have ever posted.

In Order of the Stick, Roy pretty much says what every gamer worth a d4 is thinking.

Adois Gary. Roll high.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Tomb of Horrors, 3.5 edition. I'm running this as a tribute. Rest in peace, Gary Gygax. Many characters shall soon join you.

:twisted:
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
The Village Idiot
Initiate

Post by The Village Idiot »

I fear what my life would be if that man had never been, however, I am eternally grateful he did.

R.I.P. Mr. Gygax

Thanks
"Sir, are you classified as human?"
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
Corbin Dallas - The Fifth Element
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

My stats, on my first set of D6, still on loan from my family's monopoly set. Rolled 3d6, in order, no re-rolls.

STR 11
DEX 16
CON 15
INT 8
WIS 11
CHA 13

Guess I'm rolling a rogue. That's a shock.
Last edited by Hotfoot on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

xkcd also has a tribute to him. Of course, I'd be surprised if there was a webcomic that didn't. He fathered a huge chunk of nerd culture, after all. There aren't many people who can say that they had as much of a cultural impact.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

My only exposure to DnD is playing those SSI gold box computer games, but it was probably the most exciting CRPG experience I had (even better than Ultima V). RIP, Gary Gygax.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.