One-child policy condemns 24million men to bachelorhood

N&P: Discussion of news headlines and politics.

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 One-child policy condemns 24million men to bachelorhood

Post by frigidmagi »

Timesonline

[quote]China’s “one couple, one childâ€
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

I wonder how much push it would take to cause widespread social breakdown and anarchy across China, and what impact that would have on their economic prowess.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm betting on a revolution, as the young, desperate males turn to extremism.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Derek Thunder
Disciple

Post by Derek Thunder »

An entire cohort of youths just like this. Utterly denied a chance to mate via conventional means, they turn to alternative and much sadder methods to attract female companions. Imagine an army of Chris-chans larger than the population of Texas and you have the future of China.
Last edited by Derek Thunder on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

The problem wasn't the one child policy per se, the problem is that the Chinese implemented such a policy without addressing or compensating for their cultural baggage. China couldn't afford to not forcibly limit their population growth any more than they can afford 30 million sexually frustated youths. I won't even blame the Communist Party for not forseeing that the one child policy would result in a widening gender gap, you can't forsee everything, but rather for sitting on their hands when this unwanted consequence became evident. I mean, how long has it been general knowledge that female babies in China are aborted or abandoned? I think we're going on two decades now, which suggests to me that the Chinese leadership knew what was going on less than decade after the policy was implemented. They could have started tweaking it right then, and saved themselves the upcoming demographic crisis.

But they did not do anything when they should have, so I guess now all they can do is start promoting man on man sex and throwing pride parades.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I can't disagree with you Hadri, although honestly I want to. The One Child Policy was likely a necessary evil, although I frankly loathe such a intrusion of state power into private life.

I have to point out something though, most of the people in power shared the baggage. Where were you gonna find people to apply the breaks?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:I can't disagree with you Hadri, although honestly I want to. The One Child Policy was likely a necessary evil, although I frankly loathe such a intrusion of state power into private life.

I have to point out something though, most of the people in power shared the baggage. Where were you gonna find people to apply the breaks?
India has it worse. They've got the exploding population and (illegal but widespread anyway) sex selection abortion resulting in unbalanced gender ratios.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

The birth rate in India is actually dropping, the gender imbalance is gonna be interesting due to the fact that we actually... Have really next to no data on it.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

frigidmagi wrote:The birth rate in India is actually dropping, the gender imbalance is gonna be interesting due to the fact that we actually... Have really next to no data on it.
Not dropping fast enough, and last generation's 6 child family continues to feed population growth even if the birthrate drops to replacement levels only. A generation ago, you had maybe one grandparrent, two parents, six children. Now you theoretically have two grandparrents, 12 parents +spouses and 12.6 children. It's still a bigger population, and it can keep increasing, albeit not at the same percentage rate.

As for the sex ratio, the CIA World Factbook has these numbers. Estimates only, but I don't think they're too far from the mark.
at birth: 1.12 male(s)/female
under 15 years: 1.1 male(s)/female
15-64 years: 1.06 male(s)/female
65 years and over: 0.9 male(s)/female
total population: 1.06 male(s)/female (2009 est.)
Last edited by Vehrec on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Camp Fuck You Die. Applying here is the most stressful thing in the universe.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Fuck. .12 is a huge number when you multiply by 500 million+.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Yeah but the CIA is known for screwing things up.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Mmmmm demographic collapse....
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Well, it'll help curb the population curve at the end of the 21st century. India's beginning to get the 'let's industralize and drop our birth rate' crash, but the bar's been set so high by their initial population that it's only going to help so much.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Slacker wrote:Well, it'll help curb the population curve at the end of the 21st century. India's beginning to get the 'let's industralize and drop our birth rate' crash, but the bar's been set so high by their initial population that it's only going to help so much.
On the plus side, while India is considerably smaller than China, they actually have more arable land.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

Hadrianvs wrote:The problem wasn't the one child policy per se, the problem is that the Chinese implemented such a policy without addressing or compensating for their cultural baggage. China couldn't afford to not forcibly limit their population growth any more than they can afford 30 million sexually frustated youths. I won't even blame the Communist Party for not forseeing that the one child policy would result in a widening gender gap, you can't forsee everything, but rather for sitting on their hands when this unwanted consequence became evident. I mean, how long has it been general knowledge that female babies in China are aborted or abandoned? I think we're going on two decades now, which suggests to me that the Chinese leadership knew what was going on less than decade after the policy was implemented. They could have started tweaking it right then, and saved themselves the upcoming demographic crisis.

But they did not do anything when they should have, so I guess now all they can do is start promoting man on man sex and throwing pride parades.
I wonder if they knew about it from early on but decided to ignore it, knowing that it would ultimately further control the population. Mao did offer Henry Kissinger 10 million women, after all.

Also I note that the gender imbalance in China is worse in rural, poorer areas while in India the greatest imbalances are in richer areas (the places where people can afford the ultrasounds and abortions).

Also also, who was doubting this? I've been pointing this out as well for years.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.