Mars May Literally Be Tearing Its Own Moon Apart

S&L: Discussion of matters pertaining to theoretical and applied sciences, and logical thought.

Moderator: Charon

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Mars May Literally Be Tearing Its Own Moon Apart

Post by frigidmagi »

NBC News
It appears that Mars has a problem with its closest neighbor.

The Red Planet is closer to Phobos, one of its two moons, than any other planet and its moon in our solar system. But just under the surface of that cozy relationship, it looks like Mars is literally tearing Phobos apart.

Of course, as with many tumultuous relationships, the final breakup won't come for a long time -- 30 to 50 million years, scientists say. A new model by NASA researcher Terry Hufford and others suggests that grooves on the surface of Phobos are the result of the tug of war its engaged in with Mars, as the planet pulls its moon closer at a rate of about 6.6 feet every century -- and not the result of a major impact as had previously been thought.

We think that Phobos has already started to fail, and the first sign of this failure is the production of these grooves," Hufford said in a NASA web post.

Read More: Mars Shows Strong Signs of Flowing Water, Researchers Say

Hufford and his fellow researchers presented their findings on Phobos' "stretch marks" on Tuesday at the Meeting of the Division of Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#2 Re: Mars May Literally Be Tearing Its Own Moon Apart

Post by Batman »

So Mars gets to have a ring some day. Who said only gas giants get to have those?
Besides, they'll all be fried when the sun goes Red Giant a couple billion years down the line anyway.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#3 Re: Mars May Literally Be Tearing Its Own Moon Apart

Post by Josh »

Just means we better book our excursions to Phobos in the next thirty mil or so, because it's going away.

Bear in mind that the solar system was estimated to have held a cumulative of a hundred or so planetary bodies since formation, most of them got ate up by the others with Jupiter being the most likely consumer of most of them.

It's a world eat world universe out there.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain