STGOD! OOC Thread.

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The borders you suggested Hadri look fine to me. I hadn't intended to take too much around there, but I would need Algesiras and Tarifa at minimum, and that perimeter works for me. And CT, I only control the north side, not the south, but it's the northern one that's actually called Gibraltar, hence my confusion.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

frigidmagi wrote:Cleric, Slacker the build was last week not this week.
Then whatever, consider that the next build.

I'm going to a certain degree echo the desire for a rough calender of events-every game I've ever run has had one, and it's a ten minute exercise to put one together. If you're so against doing it yourself PM me the relevant dates for the next couple of months and I'll do it myself tonight at work.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

The Cleric wrote: Build orders for France (200 points):

50 points to Research - Subs (munitions)
50 points to Research - Infantry (special deployment groups)
50 points to Build Infantry
50 points to Build Heavy tank brigade
Cleric, dude, buddy, ally you should include the number of units you intend to build. As buying things with Industrial Production costs double their starting value, only a mind reader knows what you're trying to do.

Buying 5 Infantry Divisions and 2.5 Heavy Tank Brigades? Paying half the cost of 10 Infantry Divisions and 5 Tank Brigades? Specify so you actually get what you want.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Since everyone's posting their build orders and any interested spies could find mine out, here's what I sent frigid last week:

200pts

All units 1/2 paid for
2 xArmy Corps
2xInfantry Division
1xField Artillery
1x Artillery
32pts

1xMechanized Corps

2xMechanized Infantry Division
Light Tank Division
Field Artillery Regiment
Artillery Regiment
Engineering Regiment
Heavy Armour Brigade
69pts

5 Long Range Fighter Wings
35pts

2 Long Range Bomber Wings
24pts

2 Airlift Bomber Wings
14pts

Research
26pts into Medium Tank

Special Bonus :wink:
Nicola Tesla finished building Mad Wizard's Scientist's Tower
-allows construction of
*Death Ray
*Earthquake Machine
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

I thought we were PMing Frig our builds? Because my first was actually in my info post and was removed when Frig said something about that.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Steve wrote:I thought we were PMing Frig our builds? Because my first was actually in my info post and was removed when Frig said something about that.
It's what I did as well, but people are posting them publically and any half competent spy could find out I'm building aircraft.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Honestly, I think we may have set the pacing of the game to be far too ambitious, as we are having multiple players having trouble keeping up a regular posting schedule. A calendar may help a bit, sure, but slowing down to one week of real time meaning one month of game time may help further, especially with the rate things seem to be happening.

Additionally, it would be helpful to set rough combat ranges for aircraft. On some checking with Cyncat, 500km for fighters, 2000km for bombers, and much more for zeppelins should work out, but that's something that should be discussed.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I'm having trouble myself, especially when coordinating properly with other players for getting details right. A slower pace would help me personally, and others too, I'm sure.

And considering ranges for aircraft have not yet been brought up, that should definitely be discussed.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

I vote in favour of changing the month every seven days. Dealing with two month periods every week is a bit overwhelming. Yes it's nice to be able to get a decade done in 60 months, but a slower pace would be easier to keep up with.

I would actually suggest 6 in-game weeks per real life week, but I doubt anyone but me would want to keep track of time over such intervals.

Relating to aircraft, I think we're looking at 500 Km for fighters, and 600 Km for long range fighters right now.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

That's the pace we adopted for SDNW3 (roughly six weeks in-game for every RL week - the actual rate is three months per two weeks) as we found in SDNW2 that the pace of one game month per week was too slow but one game year per month was too fast. The only exception so far is that people fall behind when war breaks out since they have to decide on their strategies and ask for the mods to give them rolls (sadly SDN has not implemented the "" coding so we have to do them in AIM Chat).

I just think that right now is a bad season for these games. People have been on holidays, they're going to get settled back into college-schooling now, etc. Things should pick up soon.

Also have to consider that some of us seem to be in multiple games and are having to balance participation in them all.

Also, a calendar is highly advisable. Or at least a list of dates when new turns/cycles begin.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

I am in general also in favor of a slower pace in that respect, also a calendar or at least a date-list of things like new cycle starts.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

To use an example I made for SDNW3:
Q4 1925 - January 2nd 2010

Q1 1926 - January 16th 2010

Q2 1926 - January 30th 2010
Also, on another matter, at my count the Marianas Islands sans Guam (I hold Guam), the Marshalls, Kiribati, Tonga, Wallis and Fortuna, and the other islands of French Polynesia remain unclaimed (though the ones near Tahiti might be Vasan as well). Did anyone levy claims to them?
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I vaguely recall that someone had Tahiti, though in fairness, that's not a part of the world I've been paying much attention to.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

A slower pace would be preferred by me as well.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

General Havoc wrote:I vaguely recall that someone had Tahiti, though in fairness, that's not a part of the world I've been paying much attention to.
Slacker has it. The Vasa, that is.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

It's my vacation spot for the rich and famous/whaling port of the Pacific.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

On second thought, while I would like a slower pace, a game month every week is perhaps too slow. So I withdraw my vote in favour of that.
Cynical Cat wrote:2xMechanized Infantry Division
Light Tank Division
Field Artillery Regiment
Artillery Regiment
Engineering Regiment
Heavy Armour Brigade
69pts
Hold it, how did you get Mech Inf? That has to be researched, the rules say "Not Available Yet". Furthermore, doing the math on the rest of that corps suggests that your Mech Inf Div is worth 15 points each, which is how much Mot Inf costs. I'm pretty sure half-tracks are more expensive than trucks, Mech Inf should be like 17 or 18 points if you could build it.
Last edited by Hadrianvs on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Updated OOB with point expendatures (100 into infantry research, 100 more into buying two Situational Operations Hosts.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Hadrianvs wrote:On second thought, while I would like a slower pace, a game month every week is perhaps too slow. So I withdraw my vote in favour of that.
Cynical Cat wrote:2xMechanized Infantry Division
Light Tank Division
Field Artillery Regiment
Artillery Regiment
Engineering Regiment
Heavy Armour Brigade
69pts
Hold it, how did you get Mech Inf? That has to be researched, the rules say "Not Available Yet". Furthermore, doing the math on the rest of that corps suggests that your Mech Inf Div is worth 15 points each, which is how much Mot Inf costs. I'm pretty sure half-tracks are more expensive than trucks, Mech Inf should be like 17 or 18 points if you could build it.
Typo. I meant motorized.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I don't know about England. I mean, sure, they say they mean well and want peace, but I read in the New York Times that they might be manipulating the conflict in Europe, and the New York Times is a damn fine newspaper. :razz:
Silence
Acolyte

Post by Silence »

That's what you get for letting Jason Blair write articles on foreign policy :(
The Admiral: A game of chess, my dear.
The Woman: I don't play.
The Admiral: You should learn. We're all pawns, my dear. -The Prisoner
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

At least his name's not Tony
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Charon, the capital of Mongolia before the dirty communists got their grubby hands on it was named Urga.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

After doing some digging and some thinking in response to some questions.

The standard range of a fighter craft is 900 miles (that means if you want the bloody plane back it can't go father then 450 miles).

Long range upgrades will boost that up to 1300 miles.

To the inevitable nitpicking and objections

Yes, I'm aware. No, I don't care. These are the ranges. Let it go.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Hadrianvs wrote:Charon, the capital of Mongolia before the dirty communists got their grubby hands on it was named Urga.
I don't know what you're talking about. That post always said Urga...

*cough*
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology