[Exalted] Protectors of the River Province

TKT: For all In Character Role Playing threads - the Games play here.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Kolth's smirk widened into a smile that was familiar to those who knew him - a near-devilish smile, strongly hinting at the mischief he was planning. "A plan like that is great and all, but has this nasty potential to backfire. From the sounds of it, the people responsible for this little stunt either aren't aware of that, or they're overconfident that it won't."

The smile widened into a grin. "So - the question then becomes 'just how badly can this backfire?' I can assure you, we can make this backfire far, far more badly than they could guess."

Setting down into a cross-legged sitting position, Kolth got himself comfortable before continuing. "The way I see it, we can do this one of two ways - one, we can be the 'heroes on accident' and save the Elder directly so he can see..." at this, the grin widened, "or, we can do so out of sight of the Elder, making he and his retinue wary and aware of what's happening, but able to deal with the threats they become aware of themselves. Option 1 gives us a bit more notoriety as Heroes and such, and while that's good for the rep and all, I don't think it would actually help us much long-term. Option 2 gives us warm fuzzy feelings and plenty of laughs for years if we do it right - and would give us practice to pull off this kind of thing when it really matters."
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
The Nomad
Initiate

Post by The Nomad »

The beginning of a mile-wide smile was starting to form on Ake's lips, when Lyiana chimed in: "That is an interesting possibility, but I wonder if we aren't doing too much second-guessing. Assuming the Elder is a pawn of whomever wants the war - the Guild, our quarry, or someone more sinister - disposing of him too soon might make it troublesome to find a new one that has as much political backing. There's the war with all the weapons and tools to sell, but there's also the aftermath - and the possibility that the laws on slavery would be made considerably more amenable to the Guild's liking. Fanning hatred might make it easier to convince the Kelnar that just this once, true slavery might be needed to deal with the Valmerid. And 'just once' is enough to turn into 'every time'. If they have such a respectable Elder as Labdaran for a public mouth."

The Eclipse shrugged. "Maybe I'm doing too much second-guessing myself. And Teamhair's hypothesis has merit. I say we should split up - one half to keep an eye on the Elder and the other to dig into the Guild's business."
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Teamhair nodded acknowledgement of Lyiana's points. "There is always the chance they have a replacement in mind, but you are right. We should split up with some watching the Elder and others the Guild. I would say that you, Lyiana would be the best choice to remain watching the Guild, as you are already known as a merchant. You already have connections here it would take me time to acquire."

Teamhair turned to Kolth. "Are you thinking of staying in the city, or joining Orduin and I in pranking the Elder's hunters?"

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:Teamhair turned to Kolth. "Are you thinking of staying in the city, or joining Orduin and I in pranking the Elder's hunters?"
"Well, goodness - how do I decide?" Kolth rolled his eyes, a small smirk on his face giving away his bout of melodrama. "Nah, I'll go with you and Orduin - I think after last night in the bar, the barkeep is never going to look at vomit or chickens the same way again. He deserves a break."
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.