A specialized fanfic section....

LAD: Where we design a lot of things, and talk about stuff we may or may not do with the site.

Moderators: B4UTRUST, Dark Silver, Josh

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 A specialized fanfic section....

Post by Destructionator XV »

Consider the following: instead of just posting fics in the forums, we had a special part, with users and possibly data tied into the forums, where people could post stories.

It could automatically generate a table of contents, have next and previous chapters links, and use it as a cleaned fic section. Shouldn't be too hard to make, do you all think it would be useful?
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

mmmm...It would be interesting, considering I intended to make a "Scribes Guild" UG for our writers.....

I like the idea, if you don't think it'd be to much work Adam
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

It shall be done. I am currently writing a small website for a female I know, and I intend to go live in a matter of days, so that is nearly done.

Once that is finished, I shall write a fanfic repository of DOOM!
Adam D. Ruppe
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

excellent.....

now that small thing about the cyberpunk game?
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

When I left that game, I was but the learner. Now I am the master.

That means devlopment will go much faster, because I don't have to be learning the language as I go... I'll be on it soon.

And I need more story and whatnot!
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Question: Do you think the fanfic thing should simply be an alternate way to read / post to the Completed fics forum (meaning they share the data so if the thread in there is edited the fic is too) or completly seperate data?
Adam D. Ruppe
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

http://arsdnet.net:8080/library/

This is what I have going so far. It is pretty simply; authors log in and then post their stories using some bbcode to mark it up if they want.

http://arsdnet.net:8080/library/help.html
Is the documentation (in progress).

The strengths are they don't have to worry about someone posting in a cleaned fic; only the author can post in a story. It also automatically generates a table of contents and navigation is easy.

You can sort stories by author, title, or date.

I am currently working on spiffing it up a bit (custom colours), making it look more useful (more links, etc), and adding a RSS feed to it so people can live bookmark their favourite stories.

It only needs 3 small database tables, and can easily share a database with something else.

It should be good to go in a few more days.
Adam D. Ruppe