So the 3e Profiler code has been released as open source...

LAD: Where we design a lot of things, and talk about stuff we may or may not do with the site.

Moderators: B4UTRUST, Dark Silver, Josh

Rogue 9
Master

#1 So the 3e Profiler code has been released as open source...

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

question is, why would we as a site require one?

Sure, it looks like it may be a nice little service we could offer our users, but without something as a cross reference (read: we're running a sitewide DnD campaign in something like say, a site based chat), we've really no need for it that I can see.

But, I'd love to hear ideas.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

I brought this up a long while ago, online group RPG sessions, with a GM running the thing.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

That would indeed be the plan. I have a penchant for occasionally running a game by board, and the players would need a place to stash character sheets in online-viewable format.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Rogue 9 wrote:That would indeed be the plan. I have a penchant for occasionally running a game by board, and the players would need a place to stash character sheets in online-viewable format.
Indeed. Hell, I would be willing to co-GM such a game
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

And some Halloween necromancy...

I'm running a heavily houseruled D&D 3.5 game now, and the house rules include a heavily modded skill system. individually editing every NPC sheet's skill list is a pain in the ass, so if it's not too much trouble I'd like to request the addition of a sheet template where the skill fields are blank and to be filled in. If it helps, I think I can provide one.

If it is too much trouble, then never mind; I can keep doing what I'm doing.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

Your old link isnow 404 but if you put up the sheet I can probably whip something up pretty quickly. It just pre-fills a bunch of fields and you free-form write in the rest of the text, right?
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yes, the original 3e Profiler site has been down for quite some time. The software has been installed in many places around the Internet, though, so it's not hard to find. And yes, it's just a self-calculating character sheet; essentially it's a fancy spreadsheet program.

Here's an otherwise blank sheet I've altered with the houseruled skill changes. I have no idea if that's helpful, but I hope it is in some way. http://www.libriumarcana.com/RPG/public ... .php?id=54 Thanks to the way the sheet works, it will use the correct stat bonuses as long as you notate the correct abbreviation for the stat in the "Ab Mod" (ability modifier) column, which I have done.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Man, that sheet is a lot longer than I thought it would be!

We'll definitely want to find a copy of the old program to install.
Adam D. Ruppe
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Unless I'm missing something, it's already installed...

At any rate, it just occurred to me that I can just save the altered blank sheet as XML and upload it onto any characters I need it for, so it's not as big a deal as I thought; just slightly less convenient than selecting one of the sheet options.

Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Rogue 9 wrote:At any rate, it just occurred to me that I can just save the altered blank sheet as XML and upload it onto any characters I need it for, so it's not as big a deal as I thought; just slightly less convenient than selecting one of the sheet options.
Or not. It seems the backup uploading function doesn't work. This is the error it repeatedly gives:

Code: Select all

Error!

An internal error has ocurred while trying to perform your request, details of the error are listed below:

Failed to move uploaded file.

This error occurred at line 39 of file /home/libriuma/www/RPG/public_profiler/upload.php.

Use your browser's back button to go back to the previous page. If this error persists, you may wish to contact the site operator. 

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

try it now, I think the folder was just read only.
Adam D. Ruppe
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

It works now. Thank you.

Rogue 9
Master

#14 Re: So the 3e Profiler code has been released as open source

Post by Rogue 9 »

And a year later, the profiler seems to be missing. Did it get shuffled around somewhere else in the board update process, or is it gone?
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#15 Re: So the 3e Profiler code has been released as open source

Post by Dark Silver »

It's...there. again

It got removed and reinstalled with the site updates, it can be found at http://rpg.libriumarcana.com

Please be advised none of the characters you may have had in the old one made the transfer.....

Also, if you could point me to where I can find templates for other games character sheets, I wouldn't be remiss to thank you...
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Rogue 9
Master

#16 Re: So the 3e Profiler code has been released as open source

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well fuck, I noticed because I needed one of those.

Ah well. I've got a hard copy around here somewhere...