My custom phpBB

LAD: Where we design a lot of things, and talk about stuff we may or may not do with the site.

Moderators: B4UTRUST, Dark Silver, Josh

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 My custom phpBB

Post by Destructionator XV »

This thread is for me to document the customized board software I use, that am offering to Project Librium.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I am listening.

I started with phpBB2 v2.0.17 (the newest) and worked up from there. First, I installed easyMOD to get things started quicker. While it is still installed, it doesn't have much use now becaus emany MODs are dependent on a pretty fresh install.

I installed the eXtreme styles MOD, which allows much better styling.

I then installed the simple subforums MOD. This allows you to create forums and set the category as another forum creating a subforum of that forum.

Then I installed the official thread merging MOD. This allows moderators to merge threads with a button in the corner.

Then I installed the super quick reply MOD, which makes the quick reply box show up.

I also installed the Global Announce MOD which lets administrators post global announcements, which retain the permissions of their posting forum, but appear in all forums.

I also installed the year stars MOD and altered it to give a star for every month someone has been a member instead of 6 months.

And I installed the cronjob search MOD. This saves updating the search tables for one time, speeding up posting and editing.

I installed a MOD to change a user's post count from the admin panel.

I installed a MOD to allow me to disable people's signatures and editing privilidges.

I installed a MOD which allows registered users to post anonymously in special forums.

I installed the restrict guest access MOD which means you have to be logged in to search or see people's profiles.

I installed a MOD to log someone's IP address when he registers.

I installed a MOD so someone needs a mininum number of posts before he can PM. This number is editable from the admin panel.

I made it so posts in some forums don't count towards your postcount.

Then, I went into hack mode and made some changes of my own.

I added an option called 'limit moderator powers' which allows you to make a user a mod of a forum, but limit his powers so he can ONLY edit people's posts and post in locked threads. I did this so I can appoint 'clean up' staff who go around and edit peoples posts fixing mark up errors, etc.

I added an option called 'override colour' which allows the admin to override the colour in which a user's name appears in the who is online list. Currently there are 7 options:

You can enter a number. It decided what colour the user's name will be on the "Who is online" list. The values are:

0 - Normal (based on mod/admin or not).
1 - Administrator color (bolded)
2 - Administrator color (not bolded)
3 - Moderator color (bolded)
4 - Moderator color (not bolded)
5 - Normal user color (bolded)
6 - Normal user color (not bolded)

I intend to add more at a later time. You can use this to seperate out real mods from support staff or whatever.

I also created some custom styles for the board. Most my own work has been towards creating the CMS code.

These are the things I am working on:

The img=left code like SDN has for image formatting in posts.

A personal profile where users can optionally enter their photos or birthdays and maybe more.

Making more styles compatible with my heavily altered board.

And as always, as I see moderatorial or administrative distinctiveness, I always add it to my own. More as it devlops.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

And who said Adam wasn't a good decent kindhearted guy?

What I said before stands Adam. When I become Omnipotent God Emperor of the Multiverse in 3000 decades hence, I will let you fuck my sister.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

:lol: Nice work, though the entire personal profile thing seems to me abit useless but It will be fun.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

The profile thing came to me while perusing the Member Pic thread. I was thinking about how useful it would be to have something like that right in your profile. Also the person's age is somewhat nice to know, so I will add that too. Perhaps even a gender field.

And of course it is optional, so, if you don't like it, just ignore it.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Okey. Any update on the Librium website front?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Server Purchasing is on hold till I get home
Problem of being I'm stuck on a oil rig in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, and I need to send Scott the money for my third.

We need suggestions on pages to fill out the site design, I'm leaving the page layout for the Cyberpunk and other webgames to Scott and Adam, seeing as they had to configure the pages to the games interfaces.

If you have any suggestions for other pages, and for what can be put on the site, give me a hollar, I would like to know so we can get it worked on.

Or you know, leave a message on the Website thread.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Something I will need to know: what board styles will we want to install? Each style needs some rather heavy editing to work with all my enhancements and thus it takes me about 20 minutes per style to prepare them.

I have already done:

subSilver
SpackPilot3K
BlackSoul
subBlack
Glass
ClanzDarkness
Digitaltwilight

and some fully custom ones I have made.

What other requests do we have so I can get working on them?
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

ClanzDarkeness and Digital Twlight please :)

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

SubPortal done in a not so frigging bright coloration

maybe a bit darker, like in the Blacksoul or ClanzDarkness color, I like SubPortal's layout
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

I like Chronicles, but that's just me probably. subBlack is good too, or maybe Black Soul.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Finally worked the damn major bug out of the forum ban.
I still need to write the ban page itself, but that will be cake now that the backend support stuff is done.

Here is what you can do:

Admins appoint 'baninators' to forums, just like you appoint a moderator. You can even give it to usergroups! The baninator has the power to ban or unban people form that particular forum.

Naturally, the admins also have this power, but mods do not unless the admin explicitily gives it to them.

Here is how you use it: if you are a baninator of the forum, in the corner (where mods see "You can moderate this forum", under that you will see "You can baninate this forum," Following that link will take you to a list of all people banned from that forum so you can unban them (probably like a check box or something; I havem't written the user interface yet) and a box so you can enter the name of a person you want banned from that forum.

The person banned from the forum will be given access to the forum as if he wasn't logged in at all. This means banning someone from testing will do very little, except not let him vote in polls (beause he is treated as a guest as far as permissions go).

If he is banned from the HoS, clicking on it will say "This forum does not exist".

I think you get the idea. Very cool.
Adam D. Ruppe
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Mmmmmm, bannination. :cool:
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Adam, I'm adding in my third cousin on my Mom's side to that list now
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

A few more things I am working on today:

Making user's sig appear in his profile... DONE

Making it more friendly to the google bot so search engines will crawl the entire forum..... DONE

Admin user search: lets the admin search for users using a varity of detailed parameters, very cool.... DONE

Admin userlist: View a complete list of your users and perform various actions on them (I beleive freeyabb has this one preinstalled) .... DONE

Full backup of DB: With all the mods I have been doing, this will allow us to backup the ENTIRE db (in theory, not tested yet) instead of just the default tables... DONE

In progress (will probably do later): Profile addons.

My phpBB just gets better and better. However there are some downsides:

1) Admins almost are forced to use subSilver. they can use other styles, but the admin board will look really weird (I am not maintaining the admin panel for the other templates)

2) The other templates may still be frakked up. I am tring to maintain them (except for the admin panel), but I might be missing something.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Dude, you are AWESOME.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Oh the changes never stop coming.
Just felt the need to alter the edit thing:

You know how it says "Last edited by YOUR_USER_NAME on TIME edited # times in total"?

Well, that didn't list under some conditions. If fact, here are the conditions underwhich that would appear:

You edited your own post only after someone responded to it. Well, I decided to change that.

Now whenever the post is edited, it will display who did the edit. This has some ups and downs though. I will list the ideas here and let you decide if they are good or bad:

1) Takes some of the fun out of horsemanizing because it is obvious it was you.

2) If you post something quickly then edit it befoe anyone sees it, it still tells that you edited it.

3)Suppose a troll edits his post to backpeddle. Then a mod edits his post. It only shows the last person who edited it, so the troll may cry mod abuse because there would be no evidence that the troll ever edited his own post.

All in all, I think it is better this way, but if there are disagreements it is easily changed back (only one if statement in fact).
Adam D. Ruppe
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Banination is done. You must ban one user at a time by typing in his username (sadly, the user list and the find a username thing from the admin panel is not carried over, but cut and paste the username is easy enough).

You can mass unban simply by checking the boxes next to the name.

You can only do forum ban operations on one forum at a time.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

I dislike the editing, though if possible no invisable editing(except by mods) after ANYONE else sees the post.

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

excellent, the forum banning is perfect Adam.

Scott should be getting the money for the server tonight, so we can start setting up shop over there soon, with a changeover to the newly modified Adam-ized phpbb code by late next week.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Feature request: Ability for a forum not to be counted for post count, then we rename Testing as chat club and allow people to rampage.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Feature already implemented. That was one of the first things I did.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Ah, cool.

Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Well, I am going to get to work finishing the board today. I should have the styles done, keeping a ClanzDarkness as the forum default style and as many style requests as I can fit in the day done.

Styles will be maintaining global links across the top of the forum, but everything else will remain seperate to keep the forum and mainsite seperate for those who like that.
Adam D. Ruppe
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Feature request if possible: Differant colors for users per board on the global user list that appears in the bottom of each forum.

The same way Mods and Admins are signaled out, so should be differant forums.

Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Hmn, another thing, I was thinking, possible system to label very good/intresting posts, or posts worthy of mod attention, any way to do it?