Author Feedback: Dark Silver

UFR - Give author feedback

Moderator: LadyTevar

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#1 Author Feedback: Dark Silver

Post by rhoenix »

Thread created since DS apparently didn't have his own author feedback thread.

He's admitted that English was not his best subject in school, but the important thing in any written work is the story, and the evocation of feelings and concepts within and behind the words.

In the short stories he's writing to give more flavor for his TF game, I think they do so admirably, underscoring the low feeling of desperation that seems to settle onto the world like an invisible and oppressively heavy tarp once Megatron sprang his plan into action.

I like these little stories, and look forward to reading more.

And no, I don't mind being an editor for them. :wink:
Last edited by rhoenix on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

To skew any fears from players, present or pass, any of these vignettes I write will not involve and Transformers PC, past or present.

As such, unless you write it and include it in the Book One thread, don't expect to see Stryke, Crimson, Breakout, Shellshock, Overload, Deathstrike, Slipstream, Hornet, Blindside/Firetrack, Black Ice or Reaper (Reaper, despite being a NPC he still belongs to Havoc) to appear in these stories. Mostly because these stories all deal with the early days of the war, before the thread begins.
Last edited by Dark Silver on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

It would make more sense for the Rome nuke to either be on a timer or remote, instead of a guy on a switch.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:It would make more sense for the Rome nuke to either be on a timer or remote, instead of a guy on a switch.
But nowhere near as dramatic. :wink:

Though on the more realistic side, they might have been worried that if they set it for timer or remote something could go wrong and the nukes wouldn't go off when they needed them to, and with Cybertronian tech being so much mroe advanced it's possible that a remote detonation could be jammed or a timer could go off at the wrong time. Timer or remote makes sense to reduce friendly casualties, but for surety you use the guy on a switch.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Shiva's Wrath may have been the only thing to stop the insecticon hordes.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:Shiva's Wrath may have been the only thing to stop the insecticon hordes.
Nothing else that I could think of would have worked. So many people and Autobots died - but India remained free.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Pretty intelligent Bolos for the time-period, hon.

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Intelligent, but their also utilizing far better AI constructs than Earth of this time period should have access to.

While the firepower may not be equal, their about as smart as a Mark XVI or XVII Bolo.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I'm not that familiar with Bolo tech, but as for Sunstorm and his bitches, I can only say what happened couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of bots. And I mean that.

- William Gibson

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Chapter 4 (Storm Fall) has been edited with spelling and other fixes, as well as a slight restructuring of part of the HMBT's part.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

That explains so much about why those two were fucked up.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:That explains so much about why those two were fucked up.
Seriously. Arrogance was indeed their downfall - not just once, but several times.

Well done, DS.

- William Gibson

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Onto DS's Trek tale. Overall, a good preview of where you're going with this (either for a continued story or another game), and is tantalizing in doing so.

With that said, let's examine some typos - I'll boldface the corrections I'm making.

And...DS, Firefox has a built-in spellchecker now. Just saying. :wink:

Dark Silver wrote:"We are the Borg. You will be annihilated. Your Biological and Technological distinctiveness has become irrelevant. Resistance is futile...but welcome."

The monotone voice droned through he communications channel. Moments ago, a Borg Cube had appeared from seemingly nowhere above the planet Hypodron IV, surrounded by a wave task force of Spheres and even several of the not oft-seen Wedges.

A Borg armada had come. Before it, hovering in a protective formation, a fleet of Federation Starships had gathered. Ever since the Borg blitzkrieg attack that destroyed Borolia and Acamar and handed them the Federation's Multi-Vector Agent which was meant to finish the war once and for all.

A little over two months ago, the Enterprise-E had succeeded in a mission to destroy the captured and assimilated U.S.S. Einstein. Within a month of it's success, two Borg Cubes appeared mysteriously over the two planets - both five sectors from each other. A attempt to infect the Borg with the Agent resulted in failure, as the Borg had struck down the Away Team sent after them, instead of assimilating them. With a captured sample of the Multi-vector Agent brought onboard by Lt. Leybenzon as a last ditch effort to infect a Drone, the Borg adapted and became immune.

And now they had come. Borg ships appearing in Federation space, come not to assimilate, but to annihilate.

"Full power to weapons," Captain Trevor Sanchez of the U.S.S. Heritage ordered. Crew members responded to the orders, as the Defiant-Class Starship prepared for combat. In space above the planet, over fifty other starships and the "Hyperion" class Starbase armed their weapons and powered up their shields.

The Borg fleet remained motionless for a moment, before a flight of Wedges broke off and dived for the Federation formation.

Borg disruptors and Federation phasers and torpedoes cut through the depths of space, the Star Fleet ships breaking formation and running in multiple directions.

The battle was joined.

Borg Wedges drove into the Federation ships, weapons slicing out into shields of the Excelsior, Galaxy, Sabre and Luna class starships, dotted with the smaller explosions as Pergrine-class fighters were swatted out of the way. The Spheres floated lazily forward, disruptor beams impacting Federation shields, causing them to glow and flicker.

Two Excelsior class ship, the Lichton and the Dorsat, speed towards the Cube, which until now had not fired a single shot - but instead was drifting towards the planet and it's starbase.

Phasers cut through the blackness of space, striking at the monolithic cube, only to be intercepted by a group of Spheres. Borg torpedoes flew from the smaller ships. The Dorsat's shields flared under the barrage of green torpedoes, till it's shields failed, and torpedoes instead impacted on the hull. The first torpedo blasted into the center of the saucer section, ripping upward through the lower sensor dome, and out through he bridge dome. Three more torpedoes struck the ship's engineering hull, and breached the antimatter containment systems. Fragment of the Dorsat exploded outward, impacting the port flank of the Lichton.

The Spheres changed targets even as the Federation ship exploded. The Litchton attempted to put distance between itself and the Spheres, finding it's aft under assault by a flight of Wedges. Seconds later, the Lichton's shields buckled, and the ship was engulfed in a warp core breach.
There you are. Hope this helps.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Oh no, Borg! Not so easy to fuck with Starfleet when they have some new shit, huh? I bet those plasma phaser blasts tasted nice.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Vulcans would give a small smile at that.

Humans would scream "EAT IT, BITCH!" or something before restraining themselves again.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

hehehe. I knew the Avatar of Power would have to still be around, since Courage and Wisdom are.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

At ten, children are not that innocent, but know just what to say to get the point across. "out of the mouth of babes" is not just a proverb.

Still, I love it :)

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

"I am so tired..."

"DID I SAY YOU COULD SLEEP, BITCH?"

Awesome, I had shades of Maelstrom there.

- William Gibson

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Link has changed. Still good writing.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Well..apart of the Glitch has always been that characters in the Game-verse were never constrained to the same roles they had in the Earth Video Games....

I'm sure a few remember Glitch IV's Cloud Strife he joined up with the Glitch's forces back then and went evil...

Considering Link basically figured out a way to "game the system" with reguards to the Paragons of himself, Zelda and Gannon who have their own links to the Triforce.......

Who wouldn't be tempted to do that?
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Gannon, or the Mario who had the Tri-force Link tried to steal?