Feedback for Cynical Cat

UFR - Give author feedback

Moderator: LadyTevar

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1226 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by LadyTevar »

Ahh.... Paladins. If this works, I'll be surprised.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1227 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

Fight! Fight! Fight!

By the way I love these lines.

You dare question our honor!?!

I'm not the one with the blood of peasant farmers on his hands.

Win!

You know usually I'm all about the vampire killing especially after Twilight (shakes fist at Myers) but well I gotta ask... What the fuck exactly are a bunch of peasant farmers suppose to do about a noble vampire? It's superhumanly strong and fast, smarter then they are, better equipped and has class levels that matter. Oh, lets add in the troops, magic items, fortress, friends it can call on for help... Getting out a pair of words before they get gutted would be an accomplishment!

Seriously the Sun worshipers there aren't really being that realistic. They want to break the yoke of the dead upon the living? That's cool, I can roll with that. But butchering peasants won't do it and there's not much the peasants can do in this situation. If they were really badasses and righteous they would be shanking undead the effective way. We sneak in during daylight and roast the motherfucker.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1228 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by LadyTevar »

I fully agree, Frigid, but some people blame the victim.

BTW: WTF is Sharia? Elemental? Genasi?

Jezaine looks like she learned ShadowHand Martial Arts from Book of 9 Swords. It's great to see that being used in fiction, and you wrote it beautifully.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1229 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:I fully agree, Frigid, but some people blame the victim.
They aren't victims.
BTW: WTF is Sharia? Elemental? Genasi?
Vanilla human peasant sorceress with an affinity for storm magic.
Jezaine looks like she learned ShadowHand Martial Arts from Book of 9 Swords. It's great to see that being used in fiction, and you wrote it beautifully.
Actually I came up with it myself. She's basically a mid level fighter type with the coolness cranked up and a plausible reason for her being able to hang with lightning throwing sorceress and a skilled warrior blessed with divine might.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

#1230 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by The Cleric »

Your Free Federation stuff is quite excellent. I went back and re-read Rebirth; I really hope you keep churning out stories in that verse.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1231 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by LadyTevar »

Another wonderful chapter, Cyncat :)

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1232 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by LadyTevar »

So, you're writing for the Eldar now?
Very interesting start, I can't wait to find out more about this Eldar and why he left the Incubi.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1233 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by LadyTevar »

From Eldar to Rogue Traders? Where are you leading us, Cyncat :)

frigidmagi

#1234 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

Enjoying the Dark Eldar so far, but I have to ask what are the Laws of Vect?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1235 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:Enjoying the Dark Eldar so far, but I have to ask what are the Laws of Vect?
Vect is the closest thing the Dark Eldar have to a ruler and his power is absolute within his reach and his reach is long. His rules are essentially a series of "do not do this thing because it's dangerous to society and I will kill you in terrible ways if I catch you doing it." Things like Chaos Worship or using psychic powers (because they could attract the attention of Slaanesh) or fucking with the Slave Suns or calling you kabal a noble house (because Vect usurped power from the noble houses back in the day and doing so is essentially saying "fuck you" to Vect).
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

#1236 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

Reading Tattered Legion, interesting so far, as to characters... Heretic, heretic, super-heretic...

Alpharius.

Wait.

What?

Like, Alpharius, son of the Emperor Man, Alpharius?

I do like the line about transhuman supermen blundering to their dooms.
frigidmagi

#1237 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

So we got us a hunt in deeeeepppp spppppaaaacceeee?
frigidmagi

#1238 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

. "Killing genestealers in hand to hand combat covers a warrior in glory, but you need only do it once to be filled with the desire to find an easier way of killing them
I love this line.
frigidmagi

#1239 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

The Earthdawn story gets interesting. I await updates eagerly.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1240 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by LadyTevar »

Now I'm trying to recall what I knew of EarthDawn. Since it's been ~15yrs, that might take a while.

Norseman
Disciple

#1241 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by Norseman »

LadyTevar wrote:Now I'm trying to recall what I knew of EarthDawn. Since it's been ~15yrs, that might take a while.
I remember when EarthDawn was the latest new game and I pondered if I could afford to buy in!

(I couldn't.)
frigidmagi

#1242 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

Oh... Fuck. This? This is a pucker moment right here.
frigidmagi

#1243 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

I liked the fight and the byplay between the married couple is good. And damn it I was thinking of the floating disk thing, now I'll have to come up with something different.
frigidmagi

#1244 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

A blood elf? Man, not to many of those outside the damn woods, nor are they welcome in most parts. I'm a bit skeptical that bit about the bed skills. Maybe I'm being boringly conventional here but being stabbed by inch long thorns while doing the deed doesn't appeal to me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1245 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:A blood elf? Man, not to many of those outside the damn woods, nor are they welcome in most parts. I'm a bit skeptical that bit about the bed skills. Maybe I'm being boringly conventional here but being stabbed by inch long thorns while doing the deed doesn't appeal to me.
Earthdawn was the first place I saw S&M in fantasy RPG books. That and a truly fucked up marriage between two main characters. And it's okay frigid. No one's judging you and saying your too vanilla. Well maybe rhoenix is, but he romanced Jack in Mass Effect 2 so what can you say about his standards? :wink:
frigidmagi

#1246 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

It's a wonder he ain't dead yet. They must be force feeding him healing potions 3 times a day. It's gonna take some pretty solid mojo to bring him back into the fight.
frigidmagi

#1247 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

The formality was a good touch. You usually see that when two unknown groups of killers meet for the first time.

It seems odd that boneharvesters attackers were so competent that they stripped him of any gear but left him to die at something else's hand. Now I'll grant 99 times out of a 100 a horror will do the job, but hey looks like we just hit number 100 didn't we?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1248 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigidmagi wrote:The formality was a good touch. You usually see that when two unknown groups of killers meet for the first time.

It seems odd that boneharvesters attackers were so competent that they stripped him of any gear but left him to die at something else's hand. Now I'll grant 99 times out of a 100 a horror will do the job, but hey looks like we just hit number 100 didn't we?
Depends on how important it is that he suffer for a long, long time.
frigidmagi

#1249 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by frigidmagi »

Suffering is overrated, surety is better.

Seriously if you really want someone to suffer, beat them with a hammer and throw them into quicksand and watch them sink to a horrible death. Granted it's not as lingering or as mind numbingly evil as throwing them to a horror, but you shouldn't suffer a horror to live anyways.

Still I'm not claiming this was incompetence. Like I said before 99 out of 100 times, the horror would have done the job. But this does confirm my prejudices in the matter. No one is dead until you actually see them die.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1250 Re: Feedback for Cynical Cat

Post by Cynical Cat »

None of the adepts are disagreeing with you. This is also why you don't outsource your murdering to aristos. They try and get fancy, especially if they feel they have a personal stake in it.