Feedback for Rhoenix/Windswept

UFR - Give author feedback

Moderator: LadyTevar

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Part of what took me so long with chapter 4 was fleshing out the other students. I was a little surprised myself that two of them are lazy drunks, but it works out far better this way.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I know that 'lazy drunks' wouldn't be in the Advanced Class... but I can see where two guys who have busted their ass would not be wanting even more training afterwards.

I can see them trying too late to catch up, trying their own little training, but they'd be too proud to turn to the others for help. that would admit that they were wrong.

It's also a great way for the narrator to get rid of antagonists after they've served their purpose.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:I know that 'lazy drunks' wouldn't be in the Advanced Class... but I can see where two guys who have busted their ass would not be wanting even more training afterwards.
Basically, yeah. If they really were fuckups, they wouldn't be in the Advanced Classes. However...I don't see them keeping up with Alex, Amaya, Matthias, or Oquo at the rate they're going.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"Hat&Clogs" still has a unique way of teaching lessons. :lol: He was perfect.

Tia, on the other hand... well.. I think you're starting to name-drop too much

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LavyTevar wrote:"Hat&Clogs" still has a unique way of teaching lessons. :lol: He was perfect.
Thanks! I also wanted to show that Nemu was lightening up, compared to who she was around her father, for those of us who've seen the show.
LadyTevar wrote:Tia, on the other hand... well.. I think you're starting to name-drop too much
She needed to be introduced as someone Amaya looks up to as almost a mother-figure for stuff later on; the scene was a bit sloppy, but it showed what needed be shown.
Last edited by rhoenix on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Eternal Tag doesn't count as training. :lol:

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:Eternal Tag doesn't count as training. :lol:
Especially on Sundays.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Great job :)

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Thank you. :)

I was thinking of making character profiles for the main characters, in the style of those in the Bleach wikia site. Of course, there'd be updates as events warrant.

Major re-working of the ideas behind chapter 11 - should hopefully be done this weekend.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

An interesting look into Amaya's past. I liked it.

Matthias' soul-edge is going to be the most powerful, imho. Having soul-crushing power is one thing -- knowing exactly where to strike to make it count I consider the better ability.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:An interesting look into Amaya's past. I liked it.

Matthias' soul-edge is going to be the most powerful, imho. Having soul-crushing power is one thing -- knowing exactly where to strike to make it count I consider the better ability.
Keep in mind, as you see each character's soulegdge's awakening, you're seeing it in its most inefficient and flashy form. As you said, he doesn't have quite as much soul-crushing power as one or two of the others, but he'll know how to use it efficiently and where to use it for the most effect, generally.

As for Enervation's abilities, they're just about perfect for where he'll end up Division-wise.

And thank you for the complement of Amaya's past - making her the bratty little sister initially somehow seemed fitting - especially with what Zillah's personality is like now.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Now that was totally satisfying. :grin:
But you need to post the next chapter soon, so we can see who passed

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:Now that was totally satisfying. :grin:
Thank you - a lot of what was going on with life in the past two weeks got channeled in that chapter, and I have to say I'm proud of how it turned out.
LadyTevar wrote:But you need to post the next chapter soon, so we can see who passed
Yes, yes I do. And now that I feel like I'm having to concentrate less on how something is written, I think I'll start including writer's notes to ask for specific feedback.

I'll start now in an unofficial capacity:

1. What did you think of the beginning of 12, which included the rest of Sunday? More specifically, what did you think of Amaya now?

2. Though it's been somewhat sloppily done, what do you think of how Amaya's been slowly "thawing" toward Alex over time?

3. What did you think of Alex's examination scene? Were there any parts that hit you harder than others, or drew you into the scene more?

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Well well well... It seems that the new girl is going to add many more challenges to the group.

And honestly... to 'nearly fail' him for killing MORE than the required 100? That is just the kind of nit-picking I'd see the Vice-Captain doing :lol:

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:And honestly... to 'nearly fail' him for killing MORE than the required 100? That is just the kind of nit-picking I'd see the Vice-Captain doing :lol:
Exactly - give him a heart attack by telling him he almost failed, and make it seem like he passed by the skin of his ass.

It was also a minor way of knocking Alex down a peg - Vice Captain Ise knows from the recent war that arrogance can get you killed.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

What did she do? Did the Hollow come out and she hurt someone?!

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I will only say that most of the guesses I've heard were similar, but none of them were more than half-right. That, and all should be revealed next chapter.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

BRAVO BRAVO!!!

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:BRAVO BRAVO!!!
Thank you. :grin:

Rosa spoke the truth. Alex is in trouble.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

1. Yes, you did well to have these conversations here.
2. the background on the Guardian Spirits was perfect.
3. Amaya, of course. The playfulness with the cooking was perfect.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:1. Yes, you did well to have these conversations here.
2. the background on the Guardian Spirits was perfect.
3. Amaya, of course. The playfulness with the cooking was perfect.
Thank you, Tev. And yeah, I couldn't help but re-use the "fried chicken parts" line for Amaya - it fit. :wink:

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, that was extremely interesting.
It's really intriguing to find that one can dissipate kido like that. Jake's little 'party', however, is disturbing to consider. He's a bastard who's going to get his one day.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:It's really intriguing to find that one can dissipate kido like that.
It should come as no surprise that Urahara's by far the best at it. However, the fine energetic senses Maelstrom grants Alex allow him to see the subtleties. Just because he can see them however doesn't mean he can do much about it without a lot of practice.
LadyTevar wrote:Jake's little 'party', however, is disturbing to consider. He's a bastard who's going to get his one day.
Plan for it.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I hope they find his dad as a minor hollow and beat the shit out of him.

Otherwise, it was a great chapter ... but for one thing.
GRIMMJAW?!?! YOU BROUGHT BACK GRIMMJAW AS A REAPER?!?!?!?! I OUGHTA SMACK THE SHIT OUTTA YOU FOR THAT!!!

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:I hope they find his dad as a minor hollow and beat the shit out of him.
We'll see. Mostly, I'd planned his revenge as simply living well, despite not being in the foreground as much.
LadyTevar wrote:Otherwise, it was a great chapter ... but for one thing.
GRIMMJAW?!?! YOU BROUGHT BACK GRIMMJAW AS A REAPER?!?!?!?! I OUGHTA SMACK THE SHIT OUTTA YOU FOR THAT!!!
Yeah, I've had similar reactions from quite a few people for this. Honestly though, for the purpose, Grimm works perfectly. As Ichigo has Kenpachi as his nemesis, Alex will have Grimmjow.

Besides, it would've been Yoruichi otherwise, and I felt that would draw too many parallels between Alex and Ichigo, something I'm trying to avoid, in order to dodge Marty Stu-ism as much as I can.

- William Gibson