Post by LadyTevar »

Ouch. Mortality.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#327 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

The Big Blue Boyscout has his moments, and that was a helluva "Hero Inside You" speach.
I'm glad Korra realized the lead from the plant could also be used to block Kryptonite. Then, as the Doctor noted, it was a matter of playing keep-away until Kal-El could recover.

I don't suggest meeting with Batman until you have a different companion. I don't think Korra or Asami would fit in. However, I would like to see them in the utterly non-fantastical NCIS territory.
I can hear Abby now, looking over Asami -- "WOAH, Totally Steampunk!"

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#328 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

"Yes. It was rather unsporting of the hosts to try and murder their guests," I said. "So I was rather cross with them. And they were cross with me as well, with crossbows nonetheless...." I winced. "I'm terribly sorry. That pun has grown stale. Although the look on Lord Frey's face was rather amusing by the end of that fiasco. Anyway, as I was saying, I'm always good for weddings."
REALLY?! You tell instead of show? And you leave us in suspense on how the disruption of the Red Wedding changes things! You also don't say if it was the Song of Fire and Ice, or if it was Game of Thrones (as they do have some telling differences)

Steve
Master

#329 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

Now now, it's not the first time I've alluded to a fairly major event happening before instead of putting it in story format. If you recall, that's what he did just before he went on what became his last trip with Katherine. Which I put in as a very veiled foreshadowing to how the story would end (namely, that the ending would be a shocking event for the story much like the aforementioned Wedding was for its story).

....well, okay, the truth is that I haven't read the books or seen the show and don't know nearly enough about the settings to figure out any likely consequences for the SI Doc's little adventure there.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#330 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Militarily? King Robb Stark just takes over The Twins: he now holds the most secure fortification between the North and South, controlling the only bridge over the Green River for hundreds of miles. The road to it is the straightest path from Riverrun to Winterfell, and the one most used by merchants -- this is who the Freys got rich, by taxing the merchants for crossing the bridge. However, this will depend on how many of Robb's men survive the attack on the camp, outside the castle. He may need to garrison The Twins and fall back for reinforcements.

Politically? The Freys attempted Regicide, after welcoming them as guests. That breaks all laws/traditions of Hospitality, and is damn near a sin against the gods. The Boltons and, if Old Man Frey gives him up, the Lanasters are going to be tarred by the same brush. The Lanasters might be able to spin it down South, but even then they'll loose Allies, who will turn to Robb for leadership. It will certainly strengthen Stannis' position as well. In Game of Thrones, Arya Stark was at The Twins

Winterfell will not fall, as Theon and the Ironmen would not dare attack with Robb's army that close. Tyrion and Sansa will not get married, as that was to give the Lanasters a claim to the "Kingdom of the North". Bran has no reason to run away North of the Wall, unless his visions push him there, so that is questionable.

The big question will be if Robb continues South to take out the Lanasters, or if he leaves a garrison at the Twins and goes to drum up reinforcemenst and/or reinforce The Wall. (Reinforcing The Wall would allow Bran to run off for his training.) Also if you go by the Game of Thrones, Robb will not need to declare Jon Snow his heir, as his wife is carrying one.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#331 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

One Correction: All witches are Ms., whether married or not. In one of Pratchett's short stories Granny is called Mistress by another witch, and it shocked the whole gathering. It Just Isn't Done.
Granny Weatherwax is known as Granny Weatherwax, therefore it's ok to call her that as well.

Steve
Master

#332 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

IIRC, she doesn't like other witches calling her that.
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#333 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Ahha! Schala and Frozen together? I like this plan LOL

Steve
Master

#334 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

Did you like how I handled the cliffhanger, or the end of the Korra & Asami Arc?
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#335 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

I loved how you handled those :-D

But now I'm worried more for Elsa. Why's she sick! Who's poisoning her magic?

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#336 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Dark Silver »

I'm willing to bet the same person draining/leeching her magic is the one attempting to pull Schala back into the Time after Time.

Or The Dark One is deciding to jump timestreams and is visiting Frozen after alt-Anna messed up his deal...
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#337 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Nope, it's the Great Intelligence. Again. I'd forgotten he liked the Snow/Ice Routine.
I almost feel sorry for Hans. Almost. Barely. ... Ok, whom am I kidding. SUCK IT YOU WANKER!!!

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#338 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by frigidmagi »

A well done chapter Steve, although I'm a little surprised that Balther was so... passive. Then again it's been so long since I watched an episode of battlestar so maybe I'm just misremembering things. Adama was well done, I would have liked to see more of Apollo but that's just me. Rosalin's conversion was a bit sudden, but I've never had my life saved by someone I tried to kill. I hope we get to see more of Sharon/Boomer.

I look forward to seeing the greatest raid.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#339 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Now I REALLY want to know how the Sontarians react to "The Doctor".
BTW: Good job, you totally mislead me. When I heard "taking prisoners" my thoughts jumped to Cybermen.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#340 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, it seems the Sontarian Captain had enough information to put "Time Lord" and "Doctor" together quickly. That's going to be a bit of trouble for our Doctor -- up to this point, those he met had no clue who he was, what he was, or what he could do despite looking like a poof with no clue.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#341 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

The Sontarians are smart, if they figured out how to widen the crack that fast. :mad:

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#342 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Nice interlude. For a Fixed Point, simply being able to take it down to 612 is as close to a victory as The Doctor could get. I do have to wonder if that included the schoolchildren. :(

I can't wait to see how Liara and the Doctor mesh.

Steve
Master

#343 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

LadyTevar wrote:Nice interlude. For a Fixed Point, simply being able to take it down to 612 is as close to a victory as The Doctor could get. I do have to wonder if that included the schoolchildren. :(

I can't wait to see how Liara and the Doctor mesh.
It was actually some of the schoolchildren. I figure he managed to do something to absorb some of the blast to protect a few classrooms.

And over on SB I have a guy arguing that I shouldn't have written it that way and that Marvel's timeline shouldn't have Fixed Points given how it can be radically changed and such. Can't please some people.

As for Liara as a Companion, I imagine she'll probably be the first one who's really willing to get in his face on some things since he had Jan and Cam.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#344 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

Good. He needs someone to question him.

As for the idjit arguing Fixed Points, ask him if they've ever changed Spiderman's Origin. Or the Fantastic Four's. Or The Hulk's.

Steve
Master

#345 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

A marvelous point, if the argument resumes I'll be sure to bring that up.

And before I go to work, a few of my working titles for the rest of Series 3:

"In the Blink of an Eye"
"The Shadows of Undertown"
"The Price of Unity"
"Out of Time"

And last but not least, the Series 3 Finale

Part 1: "Fighting Monsters"
Part 2: "The Purpose of the Name"
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#346 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

I like the working titles. :)

So... Discworld. Amusing how you took her there. Tribute?

Steve
Master

#347 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

No, the tribute story is something else. This was a chance to further the Esk/River parallel and to give Liara a shining moment.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#348 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

The Doctor Always Lies.
It's never 'simple', never 'easy'. And it's never quite how he wants it to end.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#349 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by LadyTevar »

OH. Bugger.

Yes, that explains why The Queen and Mab aren't buddy-buddy.

Steve
Master

#350 Re: Author Feedback: Steve

Post by Steve »

LadyTevar wrote:OH. Bugger.

Yes, that explains why The Queen and Mab aren't buddy-buddy.
Mab's job is to guard reality. The Queen's purpose is to latch on to reality and steal things from it for her unreal parasite dimension. I figured the two would not get along.

I actually imagine the reason why the Queen and her kind became known as Elves, and have so much apparent connection to Faerie, is because of their first nasty encounter with the Realms of Faerie and the Queens.

And since the Queen's dimension is technically on the outside of normal reality... I imagined it was quite easy for her to have picked up an Outsider or two in her time. They are obviously the big guns, and probably kept exclusively to deal with Mab's agents or similar threats (the Lancre witches and Tiffany didn't warrant an Outsider) that don't just thwart the Queen but threaten the very existence of her realm.