Author Feedback for Academia Nut

UFR - Give author feedback

Moderator: LadyTevar

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I feel for Shinji here I really do. I mean I've never been a divine being but I've been there. You think you got a good deal going, everything is smooth and progressing favorably and according to plan...

Then the damn girl does something without even a fucking "oh by the way" first. It's enough to make you swear off sleeping with her for a week or two just as a start...

So yeah I feel for Shinji there. Even if he is a scheming soul eating bastard.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I thought they weren't supposed to bother the 40K universe!

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Why do you think Tzintchi is ready to rip out his (metaphorical) hair? That's not part of the plan!
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

LadyTevar wrote:But walking into the Colonial encampment with her EVA is a VERY BAD PLAN... even if she -does- have PreCog. Did she even consult it before walking in?
Why? What could they possibly do besides get upset and petulant? It's not like they're needed for anything, aside from having some interesting minor tech.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I see why yo're not happy.. there's so many typos and missing words I can' start listing them all!

However... Oz the Werewolf was always one of my favorite characters, and I love the idea of him following Leman Russ. :twisted:

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

. Now, normally vampires scoffed at gunfire, but that was when they were getting shot at with handguns firing 9mms or .45s, not an M2 machine gun firing .50 BMG rounds capable of decapitation or removing a vampire’s heart.
Thanks AN for addressing a pet peeve of mine.

Futher Information: Did y'all know modern military rounds even standard rifle bullets don't just make cute holes in you? Due to their flight pattern (they twist) and other bits, while the entry hole is roughly the size of your finger, the exit hole (and there is always an exit hole) is the size of your bloody fist. Marines and soldiers are trained to hit a single target several times.

Even a vampire is going to feel two in the chest from a modern M16-A2 round, despite the small size of the round. The sheer damage that the larger rounds can do... (fun fact the heavier rifle rounds that some of us have been whining for since the Iraq War started... Will rip off an arm if it hits it. Not hurt it. Rip it off.)

So I'm pretty happy to see the Mayor worried about what a tank shell will do or napalm (Fire according to legend is a great all purpose supernatural cure all) to his boys and girls.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Ah, I missed that latest post of yours frigid, but let it be safe to say that I try and apply real physics whenever possible, and I understand enough about ballistics to know that Buffy-verse vamps should rightfully be terrified of modern human firearms. Considering how flammable they are, tracer rounds should give them nightmares.

Plus when the Mayor turned into an elder demon he got killed by an IED. Basically anything less than an actual deity or great old one in Buffy would be ripped to shreds if it actually went up against a competent military, instead of the apparent retard dumping ground that was the Initiative.

Also, you will now see me savage the stupidity of the Yuuzhan Vong in Star Wars.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I always assumed the Initative was a CIA operation honestly. That's not how a Spec-Ops unit would operate in field and nor is it how the Pentagon would react. Seems about right for the Firm however.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

There's just nothing like a ghost story, is there.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Wait... what?

Did they just send a Jedi back to the Clone Wars?

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Yes, that's the perfect world for Skuld to be found upon.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

You're invading Girl Genius!?!

The Baron... He ain't gonna be for liking this.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Well, sucks to hear that. But you do what you gotta do.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

*CRIES*

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Q was cheating. He set Cain up just to toy with the 40K gods.

However, I have to admit he fits right in with them.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I would say Cain deserves that favor.
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Does this mean you're ~back?
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
frigidmagi

#93 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by frigidmagi »

Did you just?

You did not!

Are you insane?

Fuck man, there's a reason we don't do things like crossing Exalted and 40K. You could kill someone like that!
Academia Nut
Adept

#94 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by Academia Nut »

There's a reason I don't particularly feel like doing much more than the set up and the horrific realization of what has been unleashed.

I really only see fire after this point.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#95 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by LadyTevar »

:shock:
The souls of heroes... Oh my Fuckin' God. He did, he really just did.

Norseman
Disciple

#96 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by Norseman »

Overall I am enjoying the "Sparks from the Edge" story. Though there are a few places where I stop up and get confused.
"Praise be to the Emperor for continued miracles," Lex added on as he slipped through the various strands of air in the valley on something between instinct and careful planning, moving like a sidewinder to take the path of least resistance. Following the meandering, ice cut course of the mountains, Lex slipped into a hollow to take advantage of a lack of wind to accelerate further only to slam the fans into reverse and hit the retrorockets to bring the Land Speeder to an abrupt halt so as to not overshooting the sudden discovery within.

The little hollow had likely been cut by melt water thousands of years ago and offered a respite from the winds for the Land Speeder... and whatever vehicle had left the tire tracks were clearly cut into the fine, gritty glacial till that had accumulated. Undoing his restraints, Lex announced, "Cover me," as he dropped out of the Speeder to take a closer look at the track. As he was crouched over the impressions in the powder, Lyp panned across the horizon with his heavy bolter, seeking out threats.
IMHO it would have been better if you had just said that he spotted a small trail, then described the reaction. As it were I found myself going back to see where I missed the first mention of the trail.

Beyond that though I do like good crossovers, especially with WH40K as great fun often ensures. I also find that this story is getting better as it goes on.
Academia Nut
Adept

#97 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by Academia Nut »

I have a beta and alpha for this one, someone who knows significantly more about Battletech than I do to make sure I don't screw things up with them too much. Also, the different kinds of insanity of the two universes are fun to play around with.
Academia Nut
Adept

#98 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by Academia Nut »

So I was planning on posting Chapter Eleven tonight.

The plot of the chapter deals with a shoot out between Imperials and those who aren't happy about their actions, and a lot of civilians get caught in the crossfire. This chapter was completed back in March before life decided to club me upside the head. However, in light of the recent events in Boston I feel that some may find it a bit too soon. If anyone asks me too (including by PM) I will delay the chapter for a few days to let things settle down. I hope no one has been affected by this mess, either personally or peripherally through friends and family.
frigidmagi

#99 Re: Author Feedback for Academia Nut

Post by frigidmagi »

I don't think it'll bother anyone on this site.