Author Feedback, Duchess

UFR - Give author feedback

Moderator: LadyTevar

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Author Feedback, Duchess

Post by frigidmagi »

You know, Six really manages to get stick in my craw sometimes. Maybe I'm just an asshole but folks who committ nuclear genocide as a method of starting wars and then build rape camps don't really get to accuse others of sins. Not to mention the fact that hey, you won your freedom, the colonies gave in they even set a place where you could go talk to them if you wanted anything else. The Cyclons didn't try, went straight to genocide and sexual (or should I say reproductive?) slavery. I really wish someone put a fight when the Cyclons start sling their lists of whines around.

But hey, you got the head-six perfectly in character. As well as the other members of NBSG as far as I remember, 10pts to Duchess.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

#2 Re: Author Feedback, Duchess

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

frigidmagi wrote:You know, Six really manages to get stick in my craw sometimes. Maybe I'm just an asshole but folks who committ nuclear genocide as a method of starting wars and then build rape camps don't really get to accuse others of sins. Not to mention the fact that hey, you won your freedom, the colonies gave in they even set a place where you could go talk to them if you wanted anything else. The Cyclons didn't try, went straight to genocide and sexual (or should I say reproductive?) slavery. I really wish someone put a fight when the Cyclons start sling their lists of whines around.

But hey, you got the head-six perfectly in character. As well as the other members of NBSG as far as I remember, 10pts to Duchess.
Thank you very kindly. I try to keep everything as realistic as possible. It will stay that way, even at the point of diverging very radically from the series, as the circumstances of course require.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm honestly thinking at this point that Adama may find himself installed as monarch of the colonies at the end of this story.

Course to be blunt, I think the refugees were insane to indulge themselves in what I can only call their current insanities, both political and social. I've listed my complaints in a thread in Sci Fi.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

frigidmagi wrote:I'm honestly thinking at this point that Adama may find himself installed as monarch of the colonies at the end of this story.

Course to be blunt, I think the refugees were insane to indulge themselves in what I can only call their current insanities, both political and social. I've listed my complaints in a thread in Sci Fi.
I think I've seen that thread. And to some extent those difficulties were what inspired this story.

Don't necessarily expect the plot to be so straightforward as Adama's ascension to a monarchial position, however... There are many interests at work here, some of which have not yet been covered. And even exiled and disgraced, a Midelan heir is not an easy individual with whom to contend.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

[quote] “With five exceptions composing approximately one-fourth of the population.â€
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

[quote="frigidmagi"][quote] “With five exceptions composing approximately one-fourth of the population.â€
Last edited by The Duchess of Zeon on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Thank you for replying so swiftly and throughly.
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

I actually made a mistake. Because of the marriage of the Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Phillipos of Greece) to Queen Elizabeth II, the house title that the Talorans would recognize would be the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, as the current heirs of Queen Elizabeth II will be the Mountbatten-Windsors, the Anglicized but inappropriate surnames adopted by the Duke of Edinburgh and the Queen respectively for nationalistic reasons, which the Talorans would not recognize.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Why do I feel Cain was less then truthful about the actions of her "press ganging"? And for the record I do not consider her a fit military commander at all, although she is admittedly a gifted fighter and tactician.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

If I may suddenly interject on the issue of the British Royals.... I don't think they'd follow the Talorans in reverting their names. By this point they've been the Windsors or Mountbatten-Windsors for centuries. I think they'd still go by that and the British would still call them that, but the Talorans wouldn't and, being the stubborn traditionalists they are, resist any attempt to call the royal family by anything but.... that long line of German house names. :razz:
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

A well written tightly fought battle. I believe the Admiral got carried away for a bit there and almost got sucked in.

All Well most sins are forgiven in the light of victory.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I did say most sins are forgiven in the light of victory didn't I? Still I love to see a family get back together, now someone had better hide all the knives before the reunion turns bloody...

Oh and Duchess? Somehow you're making the S&M couple creepier and creepier with each post. That takes talent.

Side question: Can I infer that there aren't many tabloids in the Taloran Empire? As a group they seem remarkably unwilling to gossip about the failures of others. Is gossiping considered sinful or just unmannered?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

An interesting start to the rebellion. If I remember right the Arabs are rebelling on account of religion correct?

Is there a rebellion taking place in India, Russia or the US?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

who needs imagination when one has the atom bomb?
It's not a proverb but it should be!
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

That was disturbing Duchess and I got money that says Adama don't take shit sitting down from a jumped up pirate and her alien backers.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

I love your writing; the Talorans are among the best aliens I have ever seen. Very good work on creating them.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

Thank you, Destructionator. And now you have another chapter to enjoy..
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

OoooFfff! That was a hell of a duel. I like the way you wrote it and how it was done. Although it only cements my position that dueling is blade work.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

OoooFfff! That was a hell of a duel. I like the way you wrote it and how it was done. Although it only cements my position that dueling is blade work.

I honestly thought Cain was going to win that duel and walk away. Good job surprising me. Nicely done.
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

frigidmagi wrote:OoooFfff! That was a hell of a duel. I like the way you wrote it and how it was done. Although it only cements my position that dueling is blade work.

I honestly thought Cain was going to win that duel and walk away. Good job surprising me. Nicely done.

*smiles* Thank you kindly. We are now approaching--over the last two chapters--the conclusion of the detailed original plot for the story way back in 2006, some two years after I began writing it. The story is, however, only half over, so you will see plenty more in the near future.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Oh what a treat! Two at once!

EDIT: Having finished reading them now, I can't believe you actually killed Bill! I wasn't quite expecting that.

Very excited for the continuation.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Wed May 14, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
The Duchess of Zeon
Initiate

Destructionator XV wrote:Oh what a treat! Two at once!

EDIT: Having finished reading them now, I can't believe you actually killed Bill! I wasn't quite expecting that.

Very excited for the continuation.
Edward James Olmos had said he'd quit the show if aliens appeared.

*snerk*

It was the basis of a fairly extensive plot, that.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Holy Hell that was a bloodbath. We got Adama and Zarek both down and out for good and our little sadist of a noblewomen must be kicking herself hard for that. Ellen Tigh gets bitchslapped in a moment of pure fan service.

Gotta wonder if Zarek was allowed any last words, whoops doesn't seem to quite make the cut though.

The AI ship is interesting and I would like to see more of her.
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Oh Kick Ass. But posted right as I have to go to bed, but this will surely be awesome in the morning!

And edit: I just finished reading it. It was awesome.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Damn Duchess that kicked ass and made a rather pointed show of how easy it is to conduct information gathering in such a society at times.

Are you planning to make this into a multi-versal story? Or are the Hapsburgs going to disappear menacingly into the background for now?

Also, question is this story utter canon like Steve's Alliance fics?

Last question can you tell me the settlement status of the various planets and orbits in the solar system (mars, Jupiter moon system etc) and how the Talorans deal with them? The remark about the O'Neil colonies being independent from Earth interested me and I would like to hear more if you would indulge me.