Need recipe help.

KT: Where the Culinary Masters Showcase their art. A'la Cuisine!
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Need recipe help.

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm trying to work out a fish dish. The 1st attempt didn't work well at all.

I used
Fish- 1pound (some cheap stuff from safeway don't remember the type)
Potatoes- 2 medium sized, sliced and chopped.
Egg Noodles- 1 medium bag
Mushrooms- about a cup and a half chopped finely

It was to dry and starchy, although adding a packet of pizza sauce I had lying around improved it dramatically. Silence didn't like it either.

So the question becomes what kind of sauce/cream/broth should I use? Should I add any ingredients (I'm leaning toward putting in corn and onions)? Take any ingredients out? Replace something?

Suggestions and thoughts welcome.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

depends on what you want the final result to be?

you want something like a soup? or a cassarole? First off you need to add something to "liquid" it up. Make a sauce, even if it's just fish broath (made by a simple simmering of the fish in a pan before adding it to the rest).

Best advice...try backing it all together, and adding water to the bottom of the pain to capture and make a sauce. It'll cut the starchiness, and add juiciness to the fish.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Well... for a WV flavor to it...

Butter or oil the pan lightly.
Toss in sliced mushrooms and diced onions. Saute until onions are translucent.
Potatoes should be sliced into thin rounds, approx 1/4in thick. Keep them the same approx thickness to cook evenly. Pile deep in the pan, as they will cook down, and flip the pile often so they all brown evenly and the mushrooms and onions mix well.

Season fish with salt & pepper. Scoot the taters to one side of pan and lay fish in the bottom. If using whole fish, you may need to remove some of the taters out of the pan to give it room. Don't worry, they can be added back to reheat. Cook fish approx 2-4 min per side, or until flesh is firm.

"Pan Drippings", aka serving sauce: Remove cooked fish and tater mixture onto serving dish, cover to keep warm. Deglaze the pan with either water, broth, or beer. Scrape up everything stuck to the bottom of the pan and let liquid boil (especially to boil off the alcohol). Beer will reduce faster than Broth or plain water, but you want to let it thicken only slightly. Dribble over fish before serving.

Serving suggestions:
If making for that night's meal, just place the fish on a plate with a big spoonful of the taters, and chow down.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Shark Bait
Adept
Location: A god forsaken chunk of swamp some ass built a city on!

Post by Shark Bait »

you could use a can of cream of mushroom soup for a classic casserole type thing, the directions are usually on the can. You can lightly boil the noodles (don't cook completely) first, then cut the potatos into quarters, then use just some vegetable broth a handfull of baby carrots some chopped onions and crushed garlic put the fish in a non stick oven safe dish/pan and surround with other ingredients then pour broth over it. Bake till fish is firm, opaque and pulls apart with fork (approx 20 min @ 400-425).

Alternately: set egg noodles to boil in a pot with a table spoon of oil (olive oil is best) and 2 cloves of crushed garlic or a pinch of garlic powder. Take your fish dip it in water then roll it in 1/2 cup flower mixed with 1 tablespoon seasoning salt and whatever other spices you like (GARLIC powder!) till it is evenly coated. Fry it in really really hot oil just a thin layer to coat the bottom of the pan, to keep it from drying out. Once again cook till it is "fork tender" if you want throw the mushrooms in with and saute them, onions again are a bonus. the potatoes i'm not sure... you could try roasting them with some rosemary garlic and oregano. Toss the noodles with butter and stuff and serve the fish on top of them.
Last edited by Shark Bait on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/ ... giite1.png[/img]"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
-Adam Savage "Mythbusters"

"Rule 4: Blades don't need reloading."
-Zombie survival guide

"What is burning people but stabbing them with fire?"
-Frigidmagi
Malfius
Acolyte

Post by Malfius »

Hopefully...... I haven't arrived too late ...

Take two fillets of white fish I prefer Trout
2 large waxy potatoes slice length wise as thin as humanly possible (think chips )

Salt and pepper the fillets then wrap the fillets with potato (think mummify)

Slice 8 good sized mushrooms thinly and fine dice red onion (half )

Add oil (I use grape seed ) to cast iron pan med high heat when hot add one tea spoon of garlic paste.

Slip in the fish brown them on both sides then remove.

In the same pan add one tbl spoon of butter then the onion and shrooms,
saute till onions are translucent pour in one ounce of sweet white wine (gewurztrminer works well) to deglaze the pan.

Clear the mixture to the sides of the pan and the fish back in pan. Finish in the oven.( 5 min @ 350)

Plate with shoom mixture under fish. The left over pan sauce over top.

Any questions feel free to look me up.

The Chef Has Spoken..........
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

frigid, Malfius is a former professional chef and his cooking is divine. Listen to him.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm sure he is, I'm not sure if I can A: do that. B: Afford that.

Also I tend to try to cook meals that are large enough to last a couple days, which is a challenge with my roommate.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Malfius
Acolyte

Post by Malfius »

Well then the next big question is do you have a slow cooker..
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

A what now?
Malfius
Acolyte

Post by Malfius »

lol a slow cooker or crock pot.. I have a kick butt fish stew that rocks
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Ah, we do have a crock pot.