Chef De LibArc

KT: Where the Culinary Masters Showcase their art. A'la Cuisine!
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

#1 Chef De LibArc

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

As I am now in the final weeks of my culinary arts program at http://www.culinaryschoolrockies.com and preparing for my first stage (needs accents, but roughly equates to an unpaid internship in a kitchen before the chef hires you), I am going to open a thread with a few basic pieces of info for your home chefs, to answer your questions from a professional standpoint. Also to give out recipes and techniques that can help even those home chefs that can blow up (literally) toast
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Gravlax: Cured Salmon

Ingredients :

1 whole Salmon, 8-11 lbs. Filet, with skin on

Cure:

¼ lb. Fresh dill, rough chopped
1 cup Sugar
3 cups Sea salt, non-iodized
Scant ⅓ cup cracked black pepper
½ cup Tequila
½ cup Vodka or Pernod
Clear wrap
Weights

Techniques/Methods :

1. Combine dill, salt, sugar, pepper, and alcohol.
2. Lay out one piece of clear wrap, longer than the length of the filet by ½
3. Place one filet, skin side down, on the clear wrap
4. Cover evenly with all the paste
5. Top with the 2nd filet (head to tail), skin side up
6. Tightly wrap in clear wrap 3 more times, sealing completely each time
7. Place wrapped fish in a hotel pan, top with another hotel pan, and place about 30 lbs of weight in the 2nd hotel pan
8. Turn fish every day
9. Unwrap and thoroughly rinse off paste in cold water.
10. Note: Once unwrapped, gravlax will hold chilled for 2 weeks
11. Thinly slice & serve.

NOTE: May sometimes be necessary to increase the amount of salt and sugar 2 fold and the booze by 75%, BUT do NOT increase dill at all. Dill can also be replaced with other herbs, my #1 personally being a combo of 1/6th sage and 5/6 thyme
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Sauce Rouille et Croutes
Saffron-Garlic Mayonnaise and Toasted Bread

Ingredients:
Yield: 1 ¼ cups sauce and 10 servings of bread

For the sauce
1 ½ cups diced French bread, crusts removed (day old is fine)
½ cup fish broth
4 to 5 ea garlic cloves
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground red chile
pinch saffron threads, crumbled
1 ea egg yolk
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

For the croutes
2 oz unsalted butter
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 ea garlic clove, crushed
2 ea baguettes, sliced thinly on a long bias

Techniques/Methods:

To make the sauce, soak the diced bread in the fish broth, then squeeze out the excess. Mash the garlic cloves with salt in a mortar. Place the bread, garlic, and the rest of the sauce ingredients except for the olive oil into a food processor and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds. While the machine is still running, slowly pour the oil through the feed tube in a slow, steady stream. If the sauce separates later, whisk in 2-3 tablespoons more fish stock. Refrigerate the sauce until needed. Store up to a week.

To make the croutes, melt the butter with ¼ cup of olive oil over medium heat with the crushed garlic clove to infuse its flavor. Don’t let the garlic burn, remove and discard when it has lightly browned. Brush both sides of the bread slices with the flavored oil. Place back into the skillet or into a 350°F oven to toast on both sides.

This makes an awesome crustini/croute with an AMAZING spread. The rouille can also take a PINCH of curry if you want to add a real depth of flavor, but without the curry is traditional
-- Sir Issac Asimov

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

French onion soup

Ingredients:

8 lbs Yellow onions, very thinly sliced
6 oz. Butter
¼ cup Cognac
½ btl White wine
2½ qt. Veal, beef, chicken or vegetable stock (I prefer a brown veal stock, or best a partially demi-glaced veal stock)
1 Bouquet garni
8 slices Baguette, 1/3â€
-- Sir Issac Asimov

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

This is for all you choco-holics out there!

Chocolate Satin Mousse

Ingredients: Yields: 4 cups

7 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped if not in pistole form
2.5 oz. yolks
2 oz. sugar
1 Tbs. dark rum
24 oz. heavy cream

Techniques/Method:

1. Melt chocolate and keep it warm
2. Combine yolks, sugar and rum in a bowl. Place over boiling water (make sure water doesn't touch the bowl), and whisk vigorously until pale and thick.
3. Whip cream to firm peaks.
4. Working quickly, combine yolks and chocolate. Stir about 3 times. The mixture should remain fluid and will not be emulsified at all.
5. Sacrifice 1/3rd of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. Mix until it is emulsified and there are no lumps.
6. Fold in the rest of the cream.
5. Refrigerate until firm.
-- Sir Issac Asimov

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

How do you sweat onions?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

medium low heat and let them sit for a min or two before you move them around till the fonde (stuff sticking to the bottom) is picked up and repeat, this should take about 6 or 7 rolls till your done, maybe even more. I have had times where it has taken up to 20 times
-- Sir Issac Asimov