Turkey Question

KT: Where the Culinary Masters Showcase their art. A'la Cuisine!
Derek Thunder
Disciple

#1 Turkey Question

Post by Derek Thunder »

I ask this here because this is of limited value after this week:

I purchased a 13-pound frozen turkey last Thursday night and it's been defrosting in my refrigerator since then. Will it be okay in the fridge until Thursday or should I play it safe and cook it tonight?

Edit: It's still in its original plastic packaging and has not been tampered with.
[align=center]Image[/align]
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#2 Re: Turkey Question

Post by Dark Silver »

Depends.

Does the bird still have any frozen bits to it?

By now it should be well and defrosted, I'd say you're still good till this Thusday to cook it, but no later.

Also punting this to Kitchen Stadium because this will have value for those who buy the birds and want to know how long they have for it......

Also, BRINE IT. Mix Salt and Water till a unboiled egg will float in it unassisted, soak the turkey in the solution (with various spices and herbs) for a hour per pound of turkey, and then cook that bad boy.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Derek Thunder
Disciple

#3 Re: Turkey Question

Post by Derek Thunder »

I actually got the brine suggestion from another friend as well, I'll probably go that route although I don't know if my fridge shelf can handle it (if I can do it in a bag instead of a pot full of water, all the better). I was thinking of a spicy brine, maybe some cajun seasoning and/or chili powder/cayenne powder and fresh garlic.
[align=center]"Wikipedia is mankind's greatest invention. You can learn about anything. We all know Ray J. We all know he's a singer. He's Brandy's brother. And he was in that classic sex tape with Kim Kardashian. But, did you also know he's Snoop Dogg's cousin AND he was in the 1996 Tim Burton movie Mars Attacks? Suddenly, you're on the Mars Attacks page!'"[/align]
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#4 Re: Turkey Question

Post by Dark Silver »

Don't even need that

Make sure you have a lot of ice to add to the brining solution, and put it in a ice chest!
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Derek Thunder
Disciple

#5 Re: Turkey Question

Post by Derek Thunder »

I actually found some giant ziplock bags! Brine turkey is go, will get it going tomorrow after work and start cooking it around 11ish on Thursday.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#6 Re: Turkey Question

Post by LadyTevar »

I have never brined a turkey in all my years. It's been washed off, coated with well-salted butter, and then stuffed and roasted in foil. Never had a problem.

Still, the turk is fine as long as it's in the Fridge. Experts say you can even ReFreeze it at this point. Once you have it out of the bag, remove the giblets and neck BEFORE brining or whatever you wanna do to it.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers