FF:ELA - Character Class

FFGD: For the Developers of the Final Flamwar JRPG series....were we make the video games.

Moderator: Dark Silver

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#1 FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

Discussion of Character Classes for Final Flamewar
OP will be edited as classes are worked out.

Code: Select all

Class format
[b]Class name[/b]
[b]Weapon Type[/b]
[b]Armor Type[/b]
[b]Special Abilities[/b] (if any)

0----Classes----0

Class name - Fighter
Weapon Type - Sword, Axe, Bow
Armor Type General Armor, Light Armor
Special Abilities
Level 1 - Flame
Level 5 - Cleave (hits for 50% extra weapons damage)
Level 7 - Double Strike (hits the enemy twice)

Class name Paladin
Weapon Type Sword, Spear
Armor Type General Armor, Heavy Armor, Shields
Special Abilities (if any)
Level 1 - Heal
Level 3 - Cure (removes negative status effects)
Level 6 - Holy Bolt

-----------

Class name Dragoon
Weapon Type Spear
Armor Type Light Armor, General Armor, Shield
Jump Attack

Class name - Thief / Treasure Hunter
Weapon Type - Dagger, Sword
Armor Type - Light Armor, General Armor
Steal (chance to steal items from enemy mobs)
Level 1 - Double Strike
Level 3 - Feint
Level 6 - Trip
Level 10 - Backstab

Class name - Black Mage
Weapon Type - Dagger
Armor Type - General, Magical Armor
All Spells but Resotrative

Class name - White Mage
Weapon Type - Staff
Armor Type - General Armor, Magical Armor
Restorative and Defensive Spells, Holy Magic

Class name - Blue Mage
Weapon Type - Staff, Sword
Armor Type - Light Armor, Magical Armor
Can Steal Abilities from Opponents

Class: Marine
Weapon Type: Axes, spears
Armor: Any, no shields
Special Ability: (may be tweaked)
Level 1 - Claymore Mine (physical damage only, chance of paralyze)
Level 3 - Fire Bomb
Level 6 - Ice Bomb
Level 10 - Lightning Bomb
Level 15 - Void Bomb
Level 21 - Holy Bomb
Level 28 - Illogical Bomb (all 25% Elemental Damage types )

Class name Berserker
Weapon Type Axe, Hammer
Armor Type Light - Medium Armor, Large Shields
Special Abilities
Level 1 - Shield Bash (chance to cause confusion)
Level 3 - Fire Charge (fire damage)
Level 6 -
Level 10 -
Level 15 -
Level 21 -
Level 28 -

0----To be Updated----0
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#2 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

Proposed Class:

Class name Berserker
Weapon Type Axe, Hammer
Armor Type General Armor and Large Shields
Special Abilities
Shield Bash, Berserker Rage (Damage & Attack Speed Bonus)

Thoughts? suggestions?
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#3 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by LadyTevar »

Suggestions:

Add HAMMER as a weapon, make it something the Fighter, White Mage, and Berserker can use.

Allow Black Mages to use Staff as well.

Allow Thief to use Bows instead of Swords? or do you want a dual-wield Sword/Dagger there? If you want Dual Wield, make a Duelist class or something. LOL

I'm trying to spread out the weapons so each one can be used by multiple classes, that way there's not a bunch of Katanas in your inventory when you don't have a Ninja/Samuri/whatever.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#4 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Batman »

Question (possibly a stupid one)-are those weapon/armour restrictions for keeps, or just what the classes start with, with the option to gain more as the game goes on?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#5 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

The Armor and Weapons restrictions are going to be what they can equip from the start (unless I can figure out how to let them access different armors dependent on level).
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

#6 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Batman »

So at least for the time being, it's for keeps. In which case I'd ask for thieves to be allowed access to bows on top of swords and daggers because in every other CRPG I played, that kind of class is seriously handicapped in close-quarters combat so allowing them to stay out of it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#7 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

Class name Void Knight
Weapon Type Swords (all), Spear,
Armor Type General, Heavy
Special Abilities (if any) Uses Void/Dark based magical attacks
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#8 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by frigidmagi »

Can we suggest classes in this thread?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Hotfoot

#9 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Hotfoot »

Batman wrote:So at least for the time being, it's for keeps. In which case I'd ask for thieves to be allowed access to bows on top of swords and daggers because in every other CRPG I played, that kind of class is seriously handicapped in close-quarters combat so allowing them to stay out of it doesn't seem like such a bad idea.
Bats, it's a JRPG, and a fairly simple one at that. Range is meaningless, this is all style stuff. It matters more if you've got some special type of damage that the weapon does than if it's actually melee or ranged. Go watch some videos of, well, anything Final Fantasy, but particularly like FF3-6, and you'll get the idea.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#10 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by rhoenix »

Ranged weapons could be accounted for if something like party placement is used, if it's possible for this engine (and if such a mechanic would genuinely add to the game).

In Final Fantasy 4 (and others), you had the option of putting a character on the front, or the back row. Front-row placement allowed someone to deal full damage with melee weapons, and receive full damage from most attacks from enemies. Back-row placement halved the damage dealt and received, but magic-users still dealt full damage - and so did characters with ranged attacks.

In this sort of setting, if such a mechanic was used, then Bows, Throwing Knives, Crossbows, and the like would allow a character to deal full damage in the front or back row, at the cost of not adding one's STR bonus to damage. This would inherently make the idea unattractive for the more melee types, but it would offer a decent option for the more squishy types.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#11 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

Frigid:

That's pretty much what these various threads are for - suggestion and discussion (and possible refinement) of the stuff needed for the game. I'm not silly enough to believe myself creative or inventive enough to cover everything, and thus I'm crowdsourcing with the help of all of you.

So please, PLEASE feel free to suggest and discuss ANY class, and we can go from there and figure out how things will work - if you have a idea on what their abilities should be and levels they come out at, even better!

Batman: Range is irrelevant here - since this isn't a actual combat simulation like Hotfoot has state. This is more Final Fantasy JRPG stuff - so what we see in a full tabletop RPG or a modern video game won't work

Rheonix: While the engine, at default, doesn't support "positioning" during battle (and the combat engine I'm currently using does not either. . . and I'm not sure I'm up to modifying it yet with my non-grasp of the Ruby Scripting language since it's also originally in Japanese) but once I get a grip on the programming language fully and can properly translate the current Combat System, I *MIGHT* be able to code something like that in - but that would be a Beta Stage coding development.
Batman
The Dark Knight

#12 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Batman »

So if range is a nonissue why bother with ranged weapons at all? If it's for variety's sake there's a fuckton of melee ones to work with even before we go into the patently silly ones.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#13 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by frigidmagi »

Class: Marine
Weapon Type: Axes, spears
Armor: Any, no shields
Special Ability: Throw bombs
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Batman
The Dark Knight

#14 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Batman »

Well that's certainly none I've seen in any other CRPG so far.
Class: Vigilante
Weapon type: HTH, staff, thrown weapons as long as they make no aerodynamic sense
Armor type: Light, technobabble
Special ability: Hide in shadows

What?
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#15 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

why did I know you were going to come up with a Marine Class....

I just hadn't gotten around to working on it yet....

Congrats, now I have something to work on fleshing out (mostly the special moves - we already have throwing potions...)
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#16 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by Dark Silver »

Updated OP with Marine Class, and fleshed out some of the non-magic abilities.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

#17 Re: FF:ELA - Character Class

Post by B4UTRUST »

Bard Class -
Class type: support
Weapons: Light swords, knives/daggers
Armor: Light - Medium
Weaknesses: Low attack and defense stats. Stronger/more resilient than a mage, not as tough as a fighter.
Advantages: AoE abilities for party/enemy. Stackable buffs/debuffs

Abilities: Songs are the bards ability, to create various buffs, debuffs or effects.
Sleep
Stun/Confuse
Party Atk+
Party Def+
Mob Atk-
Mob Def-
Haste
Slow
Flee (percentage chance of making targeted mob/s flee from battle, unusable in boss fights, enemies of more than a few levels above party auto-fail)

I picture the bard as an offshoot of the thief/rogue type classes. Not built for frontline combat but a bit more useful than a mage if it came down to it. However their true strength lies in standing in the back with the mages and buffing the party to great effect.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers