Totally random thoughts

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

speaker-to-trolls
Acolyte

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

frigidmagi wrote:We only use the good names for places we happen to live on.
For example, Neptune?
"I'm goin' to hell (he's goin' to hell) in a handbasket (in a hanbasket), I'd pray if I had the guile.
No it ain't no word of a fib, I'd rather be a smear on the devils bib; cos on my knees repenting ain't my style!"
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Compare that to the names used for human cities. On one hand you got a name stolen from old mythology. On the other hand you got names like

Baton Rogue.
Ottawa
Tulsa
Edo
Beijing.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Yeah, but there's also places like Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Ciudad Bolivar, Washington, Athens, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Xi'an, Mumbai, Abu Dhabi, Jerusalem, or Vladivostok, whose names are either mythologically-based, or based around historical or other non-literal meanings.

It takes all kinds :smile:
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

So a truck drives by the guard post, takes the turn too quickly and pops it's side door. Out fall 8 chickens.
Now, a lesser group of individuals than my fellow brave soldiers would have panicked and shot them. No, we checked whether we can cook them.
Obviously not, so a few days later some security dude goes to pick them up, but misses the two chickens that got tangled up in the barbed wire.
Yes, chickens are stupid.
So we were left with two chickens.
For a day and so we decided we're taking care of them. One of them was a cannibalistic alpha chicken, tearing and eating the other chickens feathers. It was also as dumb as a rock, and stepped in the water we left it all the time.
A thai foreign worker came to pick up the chickens. He had this grin on his face that he was going to eat them. That was quite disturbing.
He forgot to pick up the eggs they laid.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
speaker-to-trolls
Acolyte

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Actually as it turns out at least two extrasolar planets do have names, Osiris and Bellerophon. I'd just not that Icarus would arguably be more appropriate as a name for the first one.

I've been thinking, dinner is usually the biggest meal we have in the day, this is absurd. Unless you work a nightshift or for some other reason need to be awake and active for a long time after dark dinner is by far the least important meal of the day, you've already done all the work you're going to do, you're about to go to sleep, the state in which you use the least energy it is possible for a healthy human to use, and yet this is usually the biggest, most energetic meal of the day. Madness.
I'll concede it might make sense for it to have the most protein, though, since I've heard the digestive system may work better while you're asleep.
Last edited by speaker-to-trolls on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm goin' to hell (he's goin' to hell) in a handbasket (in a hanbasket), I'd pray if I had the guile.
No it ain't no word of a fib, I'd rather be a smear on the devils bib; cos on my knees repenting ain't my style!"
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

speaker-to-trolls wrote:Do you know how males came to exist?
According to some theories, in earlier times all sexually reproducing organisms would have produced complete egg cells, or cells would have budded off and exchanged DNA in the way some protozoa do now. But some animals started producing smaller sex cells, because one can produce more of these smaller cells for the same amount of resources as you can produce a few larger cells. But, obviously, a reduction in the size of one cell means less nutrients, fewer organelles, and so on, so other sex cells had to compensate. Thus the egg and sperm were born!
This is only the outline of the theory which I've been taught(and it's confusing because it doesn't really explain hermaphrodites), but still, it does not cast us males in a good light.

An unrelated thought: There are over 200 extrasolar planets which we have discovered, and all of them have dry alphanumeric names. Someone should get to work on naming them properly.
We have over 300 extrasolar planets, actually. We might want to learn more about the individual ones before we start finding appropriate names for them. :smile: The one found around Epsilon Eridani was actually called "Vulcan" by its discoverers for some reason, though I don't know whether it is official. :grin: It won't be habitable due to its orbit, though, so perhaps we should wait until we find habitable ones before we start breaking out the good names (especially since the planets in the galaxy probably number in the hundreds of billions the way stars do).

BTW, I hear that the first sexual reproduction probably occurred between single celled organisms fusing prior to cell division, such that when they finally split, the DNA of the "daughter" cells was a mixture of the two original parents. Everything else that was added later, including distinct genders, distinct gonads in multi-cellular organisms, mating behavior patterns, etc. is just gravy. Perhaps Comrade Tortoise can enlighten us more about it.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

You know a guy really had a bad day when you see the Death Certificate say : Motor Vehicle Collision: Hit deer, then Tracter-Trailer, then Pickup

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

You know those people who go to McDonalds as a treat? McDonalds, with all the crappiness that entails? What the hell do those people eat on a normal basis that McDonalds is a treat?
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Steamed Veggies.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Mayabird wrote:You know those people who go to McDonalds as a treat? McDonalds, with all the crappiness that entails? What the hell do those people eat on a normal basis that McDonalds is a treat?
When my family first came to the US in the early 90s (we went back to Russia once the worst of the post-Soviet collapse passed), we could not afford McDonalds on a regular basis, and so it was something we'd do once every few months as "eating out". The only birthday party I ever had outside my home then was one of those crappy McDonalds ones. It was awesomest thing ever, I thought then.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

Didn't answer the question. :razz:

fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Potatoes, really cheap franks, some veggies. Noodles. That sort of things.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

We have to clean our rooms before we go back home for the summer and you know what a room mate of my threw out? "Adventures of Huckaberry Finn"! People these days. :sad:
Squidgey
Apprentice

Post by Squidgey »

So, with a random conversation to my genetics tutor at uni, I am now unsuccessfully trying to recall the name of the guy that wrote a paper that apparently has successfully argued that Cows are Tool Users based off of the fact that some cows rub their arses up against fence poles in their paddocks.

That all said, I've had a whole host of random calls asking how I managed to get to Africa suddenly and whether the email they had recieved from our biological society (I'm the president of it) at uni was legit or as it appeared a scam. Great scam, almost believeable as I intend to go to Africa at some point and preferrably for most of my life study the elephants there in some capacity, but wholly annoying in any case because I now can't log into that account and thus can't recover email addresses not found elsewhere nor change the password - whoever cracked it changed the password and I cannot recall how to get in touch with Hotmail Support to try and rectify the issue.

Cheers all,

Squidgey.
I am the Squire to a Gobbo named Ram Rock Ed First who is trapped inside of an Impenetrable and Indestructable Magically Imbued Steel Orc Golem Prison Shell!

Wow!
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Holy shit, Anton Yelchin played both Kyle Reese and Chekov! I didn't realize it until I was looking through IMDB moments ago!
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I suppose one good thing about the networks censoring curse words is that you get to fill it in yourself. I watched Gabriel Iglesia's latest comedy first censored and then not and when I heard the way he said a curse word, the joke lost its appeal. :eek:
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

If Lucky Charms are magically delicious, are Unlucky Charms magically malicious?
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

C(18)N(24)O(2) + CH(3)N(4)O(2) = C(11)H(15)NO(2)

Estrogen + Chocolate (Theobromine) = Ecstasy

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

Ah chewing gum, a great way to prevent continuous eating and yet get the impression it is still happening.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

So what exactly does Timmverse Solomon Grundy want money for? He CAN'T pay cash for anything because wherever he goes people are bound to call in the National Guard and he doesn't have the brains to use direct deposit or credit cards, leave alone the steps he'd need to go through to ALLOW him to use his money via direct deposit/credit cards.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Mayabird

Post by Mayabird »

I think it's just force of habit from his previous life. He doesn't even know why he still wants money or what he can do with it and doesn't have the brains to question any part of it.

Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

I love the three public libraries New York City has. The Queens Library stocks many multi-cultural items. The New York Public Library (serves the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island) is more reliable to get British Television (Cadfael, Doctor Who, etc) and television series in general. Lastly, the Brooklyn Library has items that are out of print.

I can get anything. :grin:
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Soontir948 wrote:I can get anything. :grin:
And Lo the Bird by Nelson Bond...

and go!
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

It's a short story so it took me a little while to find an anthology that included it; "The Best Animal Stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy" edited by Donald J. Sobol 1979 - Queens Library

Woodside is where I live so I'll visit them tomorrow and see if they actually still have a copy on the shelf.

:razz:
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Alright. I'm impressed. Suitably so...

Only ever found one anthology that included that story and only ever found it in the dollar bin of a bulk warehouse bookstore type thing... so never actually seen a library carry it anywhere...