Please take a moment to do this...

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Rukia
Pleasure Kitten

#1 Please take a moment to do this...

Post by Rukia »

The song is a great one and the video is touching. Three minutes could help a child with Autism.

The band, Five for Fighting, is generously donating $0.49 to Autism Speaks for each time the video is viewed. The funding goes toward research studies to help find a cure. When you have a moment, please visit the link below to watch the video and pass it along to your friends and family. They are aiming for 10,000 hits.

http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com ... /id/408214
shark42bait: you are evil...
shark42bait: i admire that in a woman....
I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack!
"if you want to get out of a speeding ticket short skirts and crying are still the way to go" Kairy on "mythbusters"

LimePink: "Um, Mr. President? I was doing a suduko puzzle, and based on the hidden co-ordinates in the grid, I think Osama Bin Laden is either here : points on map: or here :points to another spot within 5 miles:. Also, Jay-Z killed Tupac Shakur and the lost treasure of Atlantis actually turned to the glacier that sunk the Titanic."
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

That's a beautiful song regardless. It's definitely worth listening to even if it weren't for a very good cause.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Given that they're at well over a million hits so far, I'd say they succeeded. Causes aside, it is a good song.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

Ah they changed their name from "Cure Autism Now" to Autism Speaks. You know in the neuro-diversity community the nickname for Autism Speaks is "Autism Speaks, but we won't listen." Among high functioning autists these guys have a truly poisonous reputation, not least because they rarely, if ever, actually talk to adult autists.

They're also the reason for Cure All N-Ts (CAN'T) and Institute for the Study of the Neurologically typical both of which are parodies of the "curebie" attitudes of groups like Autism Speaks.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Forgive me, but what in the world is the "Neuro-diversity" community?

That sounds rather like a Star Trek term.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Norseman
Disciple

Post by Norseman »

General Havoc wrote:Forgive me, but what in the world is the "Neuro-diversity" community?

That sounds rather like a Star Trek term.
Neuro-Diversity but note that this gives you the gist of things. You might also want to check out the Asperger community on livejournal.

You see the thing is that autism covers a whole range of things from people being virtually unable to function, to people who can function but act very "weird". However the word invariably conjures up the images of the worst case scenarios. This has led to things like a mother with aspergers having her child taken away from her (link) and there's a discussion of the case here.

You might also be interested in this presentation with Temple Grandin. Note that she gives her point of view, not the point of view. However she shows what can be accomplished.

But you can make up your own minds.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Watched it. Although a little bit jerky due to my bandwidth.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Watched it. Although a little bit jerky due to my bandwidth.
Pause 'til it's completely loaded, THEN watch it?
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'