Michael O’Hare: 1952-2012

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Michael O’Hare: 1952-2012

Post by frigidmagi »

Comic Mix
J. Michael Straczynski posted earlier today on Facebook that Babylon 5 star Michael O’Hare has died at the age of 60.

I regret that I must convey the sad news that Michael O’Hare passed away today. He suffered a heart attack on Sunday and was in a coma until his passing this afternoon. This is a terrible loss for all B5 fans and everyone involved with the show wishes to convey their condolences to the O’Hare family. He was an amazing man.

Michael O’Hare was born in Chicago, Illinois. He attended Harvard University, majoring in English literature, and studied at the prestigious Juilliard School of Drama, as well as with Sanford Meisner. He appeared in a number of theatrical productions on Broadway and in the New York area, including an acclaimed revival of Shaw’s Man and Superman with Philip Bosco and originating the role of Col. Jessup in the original stage version of A Few Good Men (the role played by Jack Nicholson in the film version) He was the first white actor nominated by the black theater community of New York for the AUDELCO Award for the Best Actor for his performance in the play Shades of Brown which examined the effects of apartheid in South Africa.

In 1992, he was cast in Babylon 5 in the lead role of Commander Jeffrey Sinclair. O’Hare remained with the series for the first season, and came back for appearances in the second and third season. He had various appearances in other TV shows, from Law & Order to The Trial Of The Incredible Hulk.

I had a few conversations with Michael over the years, though I hadn’t seen him in almost half a decade. He was a kind and gentle man, and much funnier than his roles would have made you think. And his voice makes for one of the best intros to a science fiction series ever:
O'Hare joins an ever increasing number of the Bab 5 cast. God bless and sleep well sir.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
White Haven
Disciple

#2 Re: Michael O’Hare: 1952-2012

Post by White Haven »

'The One Who Was' in truth, now. :(
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#3 Re: Michael O’Hare: 1952-2012

Post by Josh »

Man, most of Star Trek's TOS cast is still around, but the B5 cast just keep dropping off.

Not that I mind the longevity of Nimoy, Takei et al, it's just weird.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

#4 Re: Michael O’Hare: 1952-2012

Post by Stofsk »

This is sad news.
Josh wrote:Man, most of Star Trek's TOS cast is still around, but the B5 cast just keep dropping off.

Not that I mind the longevity of Nimoy, Takei et al, it's just weird.
It seems B5's cast has more bad luck, in that those who have died were taken too soon. But you could say the same for Deforest Kelly and James Doohan, both may have had good long runs, but both died rather badly; Kelly died of stomach cancer, and Doohan had Parkinson's, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes and pulmonary fibrosis. (it was the Alzheimer's and pneumonia that killed him)