Robocop Trailer (2014) released

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#1 Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Dark Silver »

So yeah, new trailer for Robocop is out

[youtube][/youtube]

....it doesn't look ENTIRELY like a shit sammich.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Hotfoot

#2 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Hotfoot »

It's interesting that in this remake they are throwing out the details of the original and are making that clear in the trailer. It would have had more impact, I think, to not reveal how they're changing the origin story but instead have the trailers make it look like they're going to follow the original beat for beat, and then throw in the monkey wrench in the movie. It would throw off the inevitable comparisons for a little while.

I may see it, but the timing of the release does not speak to confidence with the film.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#3 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by rhoenix »

From the trailer so far, this is looking more like another iteration of the Hollywood Reboot Fetish than it is anything worth seeing.

I might end up being very pleasantly surprised with a few more trailers, I can grant that possibility - but right now, it seems like they left not only the meat and bones of the old story in the trash, they left it's soul there as well.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Hotfoot

#4 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Hotfoot »

I don't know, focusing more on the dynamic of losing his humanity and how that affects not only himself, but his family, could be very good. His loving wife and child are pretty much swept under the rug in the original, and while they attempt to make some connection in the later movies and TV shows, they don't really get anywhere with it. How this affects the people close to him could make for some fantastic scenes...but we'll have to see.
Lys
Master

#5 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Lys »

The original Robocop was deeply rooted in the 80s, which is ironically part of its timeless charm. I can see they're trying to do new twists on this remake, but for it to work they really have to own the fact that it's been 30 years and make something truly new and fresh that's relevant to the modern audience. Honestly though, the film's probably doomed to be a watchable and fun summer action flick with none of the enduring power of the original. It's just one of those things. Though I can see enough new and fresh elements in the film, such as the taking the ditchtonomy between man and machine, and what programmed into us versus what's inherent, which could make the film more enduring if done well. They weren't absent from the original, but it was more toned down and less overt, and I think the modern audience might respond to having those things brought front and centre. So what I'm saying is that it's possible that they'll do this remake really well, but most likely they'll just do good enough or even mediocre, and either way it'll be forgettable.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
The pretty flowers remind me of a song of elves.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#6 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by frigidmagi »

I wonder why they did the voice distortion.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
fgalkin
Initiate

#7 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by fgalkin »

Hotfoot wrote:I don't know, focusing more on the dynamic of losing his humanity and how that affects not only himself, but his family, could be very good. His loving wife and child are pretty much swept under the rug in the original, and while they attempt to make some connection in the later movies and TV shows, they don't really get anywhere with it. How this affects the people close to him could make for some fantastic scenes...but we'll have to see.
Huh? The whole point of Robocop was Murphy losing and slowly regaining his humanity.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Hotfoot

#8 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Hotfoot »

fgalkin wrote:Huh? The whole point of Robocop was Murphy losing and slowly regaining his humanity.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Note the part about his family? That was the thing I was talking about.

Yes, regaining his humanity was a major theme in Robocop, but they pretty much ignored how it all affected his wife and son in the original film. They just moved away and were never seen or heard from again (until the later movies and live action TV show).
Lys
Master

#9 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Lys »

Wait, wait, Murphy in the original Robocop had a family?
Lys is lily, or lilium.
Hotfoot

#10 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Hotfoot »

Lys wrote:Wait, wait, Murphy in the original Robocop had a family?
I'm not sure if you're serious, or if you're playing up how little they were in the original. :???:
Lys
Master

#11 Re: Robocop Trailer (2014) released

Post by Lys »

I don't actually remember that he had a family. I thought part of the reason he was such a great candidate for Robocop is that he didn't have any close relatives. I also got the impression that if he hadn't been shot to ribbons he would have eventually hooked up with his partner. I am completely flabbergasted by this revelation, Murphy having a family actively makes the movie less coherent for me. Which might be why I forgot the detail, since I try to avoid remembering things I don't like.
Lys is lily, or lilium.