Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#1 Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by LadyTevar »

So, as I posted in Down Below, my recent lack of employment gave me plenty of time to catch up on all the great WarnerBros/DC Comics TV Series that I never got to see before, but have popped up on Netflix. One of these shows I never got to see because it came on at the same time as another show Nitram preferred to watch. Now, I'm finally seeing why ARROW was said to be such a great show.

First Season: I understand now why so many people were saying it was Dark. Oliver Queen was one focused, deadly, and disturbing individual, but I understand PTSD. His murderous rampage through The List was just a coping method with what he'd been through on the island. The scenes on the Island were nearly as compelling as the main story, and very well-done. I don't know how many 'years' of Island scenes they filmed, but they made me think all of those scenes were filmed first, before any of the Starling City scenes were even cast.

Malcolm Merlin was another very broken individual, and gave me the creeps whenever he showed up, polite, almost friendly, but clearly the one in control of The Initiative. My knowledge of DC Comics was providing context from Merlin's rants about cleaning up Starling City to a well-known villain from another comic, and then Merlin showed Ollie wasn't the only archer in the city. Yeah, I was pretty sure who Merlin got his ideas from, but I didn't know if it'd come out and be said. But his reaction when he discovered Ollie was The Hood was shocking to me -- he actually seemed remorseful for hurting Ollie. He actually was sad that Ollie was the one he'd been fighting. Even now, I have to wonder if Merlin was trying to kill Ollie on the roof, or if he just wanted to delay him long enough for the earthquake machine to go off.
Nice play on that, btw: even seeing the size of the box it'd been in, I never connected the smallness of the device to the fact there were TWO of them.

Moira was someone I simply couldn't sympathize with. She knew Merlin had killed her husband, but was too afraid to move against him. She was complacent in every way, and only the threat to family got her to move. When it came down to it, I was happy when Steel left her, happy when her carefully balanced lies tore her family to shreds ... and then she confessed. And I had to admire her balls.

Det. Lance. Perfect guy to play him. Blackstone brought his A-game, and where I couldn't sympathize with Moira, I did with Lance. Best performance out of the whole piece. He gave us angry father, loving father, vengeful father, devoted father, determined cop, good cop, and all the while hiding how much of himself was poured out of a bottle. I love this guy.

Diggery. What the fuck, man, how many times are you going to say "I'm Leaving", when we all know you'll be back? It got tiresome. Nice background with Deadshot, nice buildup with his sis-in-law, but seriously dude you were as big a whiner as Ollie. Also, all the 'friends' he has that can get info for him? Yeah, writer's dues ex.

Felicity. Love the personality, rolled my eyes at how an IT girl was able to run tests on drugs, soil samples, etc. Other than the "computer girl knows everything", she's a great person, and a good foil to Ollie and Diggs. Really needs to work on getting a gear between her brain and her mouth, tho.

Laurel. No wonder Ollie loves her. Smart, dedicated, honorable, and able to kick ass. Totally fucked up when it comes to who she loves: Tommy, Ollie, the Hood, her Father.... but good heart. When she finally chooses Ollie, I was thrilled... and then we see who was looking in the window.

Tommy. Wow. Like Det. Lance, they got a good guy to play him, and the writers gave him a fantastic storyline. We never hear his last name, have no clue who he was until the reveal after his money was cut off. Great job. And then, the storyline gets even better. Tommy Grows Up. We see all the changes, follow all the passion, learn why he's estranged from Malcolm ... and then he finds out about Ollie and it shakes his world, to the point that he actually goes to his father for a job. Then he realizes Ollie and Laurel still love each other, and it makes him worse. And, when he finally decides to fight for Laurel, he sees them fucking. And yet... and yet Tommy is the one who rescues Laurel. Tommy is the one there when she most needs help, not Ollie ... and then he's gone. Ripped my heart out.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#2 Re: Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm really starting to see themes in the seasons. Season One was Revenge. Season Two is looking to be Repentance. Only half-way through the season, but have to note I do love the introduction of the Flash (always late LOL!), and the little throwaway of sorting chemicals in a lightning storm before the REAL cause hit. Particle Acceleration Meltdown = man able to break sound barrier. I love it.

Does this mean I have to watch a few eps of Flash in between Arrow eps? :wtf:

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#3 Re: Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by rhoenix »

They made the two shows tie in together, but you don't necessarily have to watch the Flash for other storylines.

You're about at the point of Arrow where I started getting bored. It was about at this point where they just seemed to go for melodrama rather than storytelling, and it just got progressively worse.

Your mileage may vary of course.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#4 Re: Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by Dark Silver »

The Flash Season 1 picks up after Arrow Season 2 ends. It takes time for Barry to heal up from being hit with the Lighting Bolt and the Dark Matter and the chemicals and being infused with the Speed Force.

Arrow picks up somewhat in Season 3 and 4 has it's up and downs for me.

I think you'll like Flash more than Arrow (I know I did) and the Crossover with Supergirl in Season 2 was good (only shown from Supergirl's side).

Though as of next season Supergirl will be joining Arrow and Flash on the CW.

Don't forget to check out Legends of Tomorrow once get caught up with Flash and Arrow (it draws in side characters from both shows).
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#5 Re: Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by LadyTevar »

So... Season Two is over, now my thoughts. First -- MY GODS KILL THE MELODRAMA ALREADY! Yes, Crucibles. Folks have to go through them and then see if they're stronger or if the broke. Did we have to spend the entire season overwhelmed with it?

Slade Wilson. I will admit the only way I knew him before was from the Teen Titans cartoon. He was a scary mutherfucker then, and he's just as terrifying now. In the cartoon he was a highly intelligent, manipulative bastard with a grudge against Robin. I have to say he's got more reason for his grudge against Ollie this time, and DAMN what a scheme he had.

Sebastian Blood. Asshole got what he deserved. Slimy little bastard.
Isabel. Also got what the bitch deserved. Seriously, Ollie really should remember the rule about Don't Stick It In Crazy. She was well-played by Summer Glau, and I guess this is the only show she's been in that WASN'T Cancelled.

The Island flashbacks played so much of a role in this one, but I have to admit by the end I was skipping those scenes, because I wanted to know the Here and Now, not how/why Ollie did or didn't do something then. It really didn't matter to me after Slade got the boat.

Laurel. Good gods I wish she'd OD'd and died. I guess she needed her "crucible", but we could have done without. While her little crusade against Arrow was a nice start, she just hit the "pity me, I'm hurt" button too much.
Sarah/Canary. Again, the island and Sarah was meh. Yes, it was a really nice touch, making her part of the League of Assassins. Canary herself is a good match for Ollie (duh, of course), but I don't agree with her decision to leave with Nyssa Raatko. I really loved having the League of Assassins seen as a threat outside of the Batman franchise. It's hard to believe they're a threat in the DCU when only the Bat-Family deals with them on a regular basis. It also says so much that Nyssa brought a few of her warriors to help when Canary called. Guess she really does love Sarah.
Quenton Lance. Still trying to be the Good Cop, Still the best-written character in the show, imho.

Moira Queen. I thought she was going to be in prison the rest of her time on the show. Nice of Merlyn to help her out, but I loved the part where she told Merlyn off and called down Ras' al Ghul on him. I'm surprised she thought she could run for mayor, with all the secrets she carried. But, she was a true Mother at the end. Slade respected her for that. I honestly thought she'd make it out alive.
Thea. Gods Thea, you had the shit dumped on you right and left. I'm surprised you weren't drinking and doping worse than Laurel. Guess that's the Merlyn in you. Good job putting two rounds into your dad. Pity it didn't take.

Roy. He does truly love Thea ... but I wish we'd not had to see him on the Miracuru. While it gave us a very nasty view into how fucked the drug was making Slade, did we really have to put Thea and Roy through all that?

Felicity. Still growing, still improving. Loved all the little jealous fits she had over Sarah and Isabel. I'm still hoping Ollie drop-kicks Laurel to the curb for her.
Diggery. Very nice growth here as well. His interactions with Deadshot, with Lelia, and with Amanda Waller really moved him to the forefront as a hero this season. I think "Suicide Squad" was his best ep. (Nice 'cameo' in that ep: Harley's voice offering to help Diggory and Lelia with counseling) Also, Deadshot's willingness to die to take out the chemical lab. He's far more honorable than we think.

Speaking of Amanda Waller ... yeah, she was "high heels" from the Island flashbacks. Why else always show her shoes first, then her face? I thought she was a cold bitch in BTAS. This Waller couldn't melt butter in her mouth. She's a stone cold killer.

Did I forget anyone?
OH! Nice cameos by the Flash's buddies from Star Labs. Can't wait for Season Three, where Flash can make a few more cross-overs.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#6 Re: Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by LadyTevar »

I didn't think Arrow's writers would do it, but they did TWO things that shocked me.

First, Sara. What a fuckin' shitty way for her to go. Yes, it set up more Merlyn (The Magician... yes, fun with Puns, from the League). It set up more Nyssa goodness. But, most of all, it set up the Other Shocker:
Holy Shit, we see Ras' al-Ghul himself. Not sure I like the casting, doesn't have just the right look, imho. But kudos for the balls to have The Demon actually show up in a non-Bat-Family show!

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#7 Re: Catching Up with DCTV: Arrow

Post by LadyTevar »

Season Three.

Where it ALL GOES TO HELL. Holy shit, that was a fuckin' nasty season. All that Ollie worked for, taken from him bit by bit. And then, he goes full Nutso (so it seems) by trusting Merlyn, by joining the League, by seemingly being lead around by the nose -- and it's all a Thanatos Gambit to take out Ras al-Ghul ... that WORKED. And, then Ollie gets the girl and rides off into the sunset.

So... Hong Kong flashbacks. All to set up the Alpha/Omega virus, as well as Maseo and Tatsu. Once again, I just skimmed it, because I was more interested in the present than the past, and thought that Waller was a fuckin' bitch doing this to Ollie. She's got a lot to answer for, and I hope I get to see a season where she gets hers.

Maseo and Tatsu. What a tragic love story. It seems Diggle was right: All the League of Assassins are just people running away from their problems, from their real life. Maseo may have remembered who he'd been, but it never freed him, and left Tatsu to become Katana. Yes, I was bouncing in my seat when I recognized the mask she wore. I really love how the writers are digging into the pool of DC secondary characters to expand the TV mythos.

Which brings me to Ray Palmer. First I thought he was an ass who was just there to fuck over Queen Consolidated. I'd forgotten his whole ATOM thing, because I never read much of his comics (second stringer, again). He's still annoying as the "male Felicity", but he's stepping up as a hero. His cameo on Flash was great. Of course, the explosion is just going to make him more of The Atom than he was with the suit.

The Flash/Barry Allen. Oh yeah, great introduction, very wonderful cameos and crossovers. I should talk about his show later, it was a really refreshing change from everything happening with Ollie & Co. This season really needed all the humor it could get.

Felicity. YES GIRL! YOU GOT GAME! First, Barry. Although the 9 month coma and Iris put a downer on that, it's still cute to see Barry and Felicity together. Then comes Ray, who you really should have slapped more sense into. At least you got a rebound fuck from him. But FINALLY... FINAL FUCKINGLY, you got your true love, Ollie, and I swear my ovaries exploded during that love scene.
But more than just a lovelife, Felicity grew herself. She will still always be support for the team, but she has become more confident in her skills, to the point she is more than a match for Ray, and stands on her own with the Flash's crew.

Laurel and Quentin. *sigh* More damn tragedy. Why the hell didn't she just up and tell her dad about Sarah, and not go through all the drama? Yeah, he's got a heart problem. It wouldn't have killed him! Now, you've gone and made Quentin fall off the wagon, go on a rampage that shut down the Arrowcave, and get Roy "killed". At least you got the balls up to become Black Canary. Smart to get StarLab's Cisco to do you up a voice mic to trigger the sonics as well. Also nice how you made nice with Nyssa, and for a little while gave her a life outside the League.

Roy. Arsenal. He really grew from Sidekick to Partner, and I hate they wrote him out. He had a great exit, saving Ollie's ass once again. But it was still an exit, and I really missed him.

Thea. Source of 90% of Ollie's drama. Gods below this girl couldn't get a break any more than Ollie could. Merlyn's catspaw, all the way. At least she finally took up the Speedy mantle.

Merlyn. The man we all love to hate. First, he trains Thea, and seems honestly wanting to make up for everything as her Dad. Then, we see the Xanatos Gambit roll out, and despite everything the Magnificent Bastard winds up as Ra's al-Ghul. I hope Nyssa strangles the two-faced bastard in his sleep.

Diggory. He got the girl, got a baby, and seemed totally good with everything. Then the League rolls in, and he's once again back in the "do I/Don't I" with Ollie. He was right about Merlyn, about Waller, and damn near everything else, but he just couldn't get his head enough in the game to think of ways that Merlyn and Ollie hadn't already planned for.
I did like he finally made his peace with Deadshot. And I liked that Deadshot got to go out in style (and get away from Cupid's sudden crush on him).

Ra's al-Ghul. Well Played, in so many ways. I wasn't sure I liked how he was cast, as he didn't look right to me, but the writers sure knew their stuff. He was everything the Ancient One of the comics should be, even to the over-confidence that let Ollie play him. I'm almost sorry he's not getting a dip in the Lazarus Pit, but Ollie isn't Batman, and Nyssa isn't Talia.