Has anyone heard of Pandora Internet Radio?

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

Something Awesome
Initiate

#1 Has anyone heard of Pandora Internet Radio?

Post by Something Awesome »

My friend told me about this while we were discussing math in music earlier.

It's an internet radio thing and it's free. What makes this awesome is it reads your mind or something. Not really. You create your own stations, based on one artist or whatever, and it plays not only songs by who you selected, but also similar groups and things it thinks you'll like. It's pretty amazing.

Here's the site: http://www.pandora.com/

After a few songs, it'll ask you to register to keep listening to the same station, and it's completely free. You can pay for a subscription to get rid of ads, but they're not a big deal.

edit: Oh, I just noticed that it's limited to US only.
Last edited by Something Awesome on Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartzap
Keeper of the Beer

Post by Dartzap »

Pfft, I use it at college and I sure as hell don't reside on the other side of the pond :smile: Just give it a .com ending email address and it could no care less. :wink:
Last edited by Dartzap on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why hello! Could I intrest you in some giant bonsai trees?"

The Grim Squeaker
Initiate

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I use it sometime, it's nice but the ability to go by genre or for it to get info from my itunes library (Like last.fm is supposed to) would be nicer.
Formerly known as the .303 bookworm
Veni, Vidi,Vici.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/ ... 0av/CW.jpg[/img]
My Photography
My Picasa based Photography

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel, New York, wars while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in water having a good time.
But the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

It was pretty lousy at finding my stuff, but my tastes are somewhat eclectic and it's generally not easy for this sort of software to figure out what I go in for.

I did find Vain Glory Opera from it, though, and that rocks the fuck out.
Last edited by Josh on Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Angelod
Acolyte

Post by Angelod »

I really enjoy Pandora. The music genome project as a whole interests me. Punching in "The Seatbelts" and getting some good ole Miles Davis was my highlighting moment.
Discombobulated
Acolyte

Post by Discombobulated »

I love Pandora's way of analyzing music; they go a lot deeper than the well-known genres of music and break everything down into individual elements. I like to read the reasons that they give for playing a certain song: rhythmic piano, acoustic instrumentation, vocal harmonies, poetic lyrics. But there's a lot they don't tell us there, and I'd do anything to know all the factors in the music genome project.