X-Files Set to Return

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#1 X-Files Set to Return

Post by rhoenix »

the guardian wrote:The X-Files is set to return to television screens for the first time in 13 years, with David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson resuming their roles as Mulder and Scully.

The US broadcaster Fox has confirmed that a six-episode series will begin production in the summer. The broadcast date has yet to be revealed.

The series creator Chris Carter described the show’s absence as “a 13-year commercial break” and added: “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The six-episode run is shorter than most US TV series, and Fox described the X-Files return as an “event”. Dana Walden and Gary Newman, chair and CEO of Fox Television Group, said: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.

“The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

Mulder and Scully at San Diego Comic-Con: the 13 best X-Files episodes ever
Read more
The original series was cancelled in 2002, although Duchovny and Anderson returned for a feature film, X-Files: I want to Believe, in 2008. Rumours of the show’s return have swirled around the internet for years, and in 2013 Anderson and Duchovny generated much excitement when they hinted during an online discussion that another X-Files film might be in the works.

Advertisement

Such was the on-screen chemistry between FBI investigators Fox Mulder and Dana Scully in their quest to explain the unexplained that Anderson and Duchovny themselves became a story – according to the press at various times during the height of the show’s popularity, they were having an affair, hated each other or both.

This year Anderson told the Guardian’s Simon Hattenstone: “I mean, yes, there were definitely periods when we hated each other … Hate is too strong a word. We didn’t talk for long periods of time. It was intense, and we were both pains in the arse for the other at various times.”

Since the last X-Files series, Anderson has starred in a string of literary adaptations – as Lady Dedlock in Bleak House, Lily Bart in The House of Mirth, Miss Havisham in the BBC’s Great Expectations, and Mrs Castaway in The Crimson Petal and The White – and more recently she played Supt Stella Gibson in murder drama The Fall, which has been recommissioned for a third series set to air next year.

Anderson also received warm reviews for her performance as Blanche in a feted Young Vic revival of Tennessee Williams’s A Streetcar Named Desire.

Duchovny found further success in the US with Californication, which finished a seven-season run last year. This year he published his debut novel, Holy Cow, in which a cow called Elsie, a pig called Shalom and a turkey called Tom escape a farm in upstate New York in search of a better life.
So, they're not trying to reboot it with a new cast. There's at least that - plus, said reboot is contingent upon David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, and Chris Carter all being willing to come back.

A part of me is admittedly curious, and another part of me thinks that X-Files pretty much wrapped up and closed when it should have, so this might be taking a horse carcass from out back to practice flogging... but we'll see.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

#2 Re: X-Files Set to Return

Post by Josh »

X-Files was always funny for me, because it went from can't-miss TV to 'never watched again' somewhere in the third season, and I couldn't even explain why. Still can't really.

I just went from catching it every week to missing a single week, and then never watched it again. I caught the first movie when it came out and enjoyed it just fine, but I bogged down in a Netflix rewatch a few months back, right around the Duane Berry episode.

I loved Duchovny and Anderson's* portrayals, along with the supporting cast, I enjoyed the story, but then it just died for no apparent reason and I totally lost interest.

Hmm... sudden personality change. I wonder if I had any missing time in that period.

*By loved I also mean lusted, in this case. She bewitched me all over again on the rewatch.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
rhoenix

#3 Re: X-Files Set to Return

Post by rhoenix »

Josh wrote:X-Files was always funny for me, because it went from can't-miss TV to 'never watched again' somewhere in the third season, and I couldn't even explain why. Still can't really.

I just went from catching it every week to missing a single week, and then never watched it again. I caught the first movie when it came out and enjoyed it just fine, but I bogged down in a Netflix rewatch a few months back, right around the Duane Berry episode.

I loved Duchovny and Anderson's* portrayals, along with the supporting cast, I enjoyed the story, but then it just died for no apparent reason and I totally lost interest.

Hmm... sudden personality change. I wonder if I had any missing time in that period.

*By loved I also mean lusted, in this case. She bewitched me all over again on the rewatch.
Honestly, my experiences were the same. The first few seasons were riveting, but then... yeah, I also just lost interest after a while. I'll try to catch up a bit on Netflix, and see if my perception of the show is any different now.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

#4 Re: X-Files Set to Return

Post by B4UTRUST »

I think that's the point where it went from monster of the week to trying to concentrate on the story arcs and such. I'd have to go through and watch it again to be sure. I may make that sacrifice for Gillian...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
rhoenix

#5 Re: X-Files Set to Return

Post by rhoenix »

B4UTRUST wrote:I think that's the point where it went from monster of the week to trying to concentrate on the story arcs and such. I'd have to go through and watch it again to be sure. I may make that sacrifice for Gillian...
Heh. It's funny; before, the monster-of-the-week would have held my attention more than the story arcs, and now the opposite is true. I'm looking forward to testing my own perceptions, and looking at X-Files again once I get home.

- William Gibson

Josh

#6 Re: X-Files Set to Return

Post by Josh »

The problem with the arc wasn't the fact there was an arc- I looooooooooove me some long-term story arcs. As a child of the old syndicated TV programs that hit the reset button, arc-based TV stories are totally my shit.

It's just that somehow X-Files failed to catch me with its arc. It's another case of the creator not having it decently fixed in his mind when he started, so it had some false starts and rambling before it got serious, and by that point I wasn't really engaged.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Josh

#7 Re: X-Files Set to Return

Post by Josh »

B4UTRUST wrote:I may make that sacrifice for Gillian...
I would make many sacrifices for Gillian. All these years later when I started my rewatch she still gets my motor humming.