How hard it is to boycott RIAA? (favorite music performers)

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Sick, Twisted Fuck

#1 How hard it is to boycott RIAA? (favorite music performers)

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I was intrigued by Adam's post in his own board, regarding RIAA:
Destructionator wrote:I have zero sympathy left for people who buy stuff from the RIAA and company. That's right, I am done with the buyers. They get exactly what they deserve.

The RIAA fuckwads would have absolutely no power if people would just stop fucking buying their shit. With the frequency of these attacks, people should know better by now.
Thus, I decided to check my collection against list of RIAA members. After all, I have stopped listening to shitty, "MTV Top Fourties" mainstream music for years, so I guess my collection should be FREE of anything associated with RIAA.

Okay, let's pick some samples:

Moby
Published by Mute , which was acquired by EMI in 2002. EMI is, of course, one of the RIAA's big four. Fuck.

Cafe del Mar series
This includes Cafe del Mar: Dreams, Cafe del Mar Chill House Mix, and Cafe del Mar Aria. I thought this one is independent since it is club compilation anyway. Alas, when taking a closer look at the covers (something I've actually never done), turned out the series is published by Universal Records. Son of a bitch!

Buddha Bar series
It is a good thing that the French club compilations is published by some unknown label named George V Records. Ha!

Back to Mine series
Again, this one is published by Dance Music Collective, which is not listed as RIAA member. Yay!

Late Night Tales / Another Late Night series
Published by Azuli Records, which is an independent record label. Hah.

Nick Warren
Seven of his albums were published by Global Underground, which is again, another independent record label. Go fuck yourself, RIAA.

Chicane
Behind The Sun was published by Xtravaganza, while Sommersault is published by Modena. Well, at least none of them found in RIAA member list.

Tiësto
He's got his own record label; Black Hole Recordings. Furthermore, it's a Dutch record label. A safe pick!

Putumayo series
Published by, guess what, Putumayo World Music. Now that's what I called independent!

Smoma
As far as I knew, this indie, electric jazz band has only released two albums: Casual Lounge and Smoma and Friends, which were published by C&B Media. It's a good thing that the label is not RIAA member. Yay!

Brand New Heavies
Turned out Chrysalis record is a member of RIAA. Aaaargh!!!

Moloko
Sing it back, sing it back.... Still my favorite tune to hum during shower and masturbation . Fortunately, Echo Records is not RIAA member.

Jamiroquai
Columbia/Sony BMG. Enough said. Gah!

Soulstice
Quite relieving to discover that Wandering Soul is not part of RIAA. Whew.

Kosheen
Anyone who clubbed/raved heavily during early 2000s should remember the following lyrics:
If you were in my heart, I'd surely not break you
If you were beside me, and my love would take you
I'll keep you in safety, forever protect you
I'll hide you away from the world you rejected...

Moksha Record is not a member of RIAA, but they have collaborated with the likes of Universal and Sony BMG in publishing Kosheen's albums; do they count?

So how about yours?
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

Share your free D&D character here.

:welcome :arrow: :sheepfucker: :thumbsup

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

NEVER buy a LiteOn CD/DVD Writer. Ever.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Here's a question Kreshna, do you know who owns your independent record companies?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Sick, Twisted Fuck

frigidmagi wrote:Here's a question Kreshna, do you know who owns your independent record companies?
Well, Global Underground was founded by trance DJs because they don't wanna get dicated by big record labels. Dance Music Collective is not owned by RIAA member as far as I know. Tiesto has his own record label --and so does Carl Cox. Buddha Bar is French club compilation.

Do you know something that I don't? :???:
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sick, Twisted Fuck | Sap #2 of the Bitter Trio | Knight of the e-mail | Evil Liberal Conspirator | Esoteric Order of Dagon | Weird TGODer

So be it. If saying "NO" means being alone, then to hell with love, with romance, with marriage, and all the shit life keeps pumping at me. I'll walk alone, but with freedom and a healed pride.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Not about those companies I don't no. But I do remember a not so fun surprise in highschool when I found out one of my more favored "independent companies" was fully owned by Columbia.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Sick, Twisted Fuck

frigidmagi wrote:Not about those companies I don't no. But I do remember a not so fun surprise in highschool when I found out one of my more favored "independent companies" was fully owned by Columbia.
Argh!

Need to do further research then. I always got the impression that big record labels are never really interested in my kind of music --chillout and electronica and the likes, but still....
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Silly KAN, big companies are interested in two things. Profit and hiding it.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Lets see here...

Kidney Thieves - all their cds are directly from them, except for Zero Space and Phi in the sky which was released under Extasy Records

Black Sabbath - shit, I own damn near every one of their albums. So I'm sure somewhere in there I'm guilty since they've been under multiple record labels including their own.

KMFDM - released under Metropolis and Sanctuary Records. Sanctuary is a subsidary of Universal. Metropolis owns itself. Quite a few bands I like are under Metropolis actually.

Collide - Noise Plus Music. Independent

E Nomine - Universal International, damn =(

So yeah. But most of the time, if possible, I buy directly from the artist so I'm not overly concerned.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers