Frigid watched Scott Pilgrim versus the world

ART: Movies, Pictures, Music the stuff that could be considered Art by some people

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Frigid watched Scott Pilgrim versus the world

Post by frigidmagi »

I haven't read past the first issue of the comic so don't ask how faithful it was.

Boy falls for Girl. Boy meets Girl (yes I've chosen this order on purpose). Boy fights for Girl. Girl helps Boy fight. Boy figures out who the hell he is and what it means to be an adult. That's the plot and it's well executed with alot of pretty lights, bells and whistles.

See this is a love story, yes. But the love story isn't the whole story. It also about two people growing the fuck up and learning who they are as grown ups. Another part of this story is learning to man up and move on past bad relationships and break ups, which in my view is part of learning to be a grown up.

Let's look at the characters:

Scott Pilgrim, is a douche and a loser. A 20 something dating a highschool girl while pining for an ex. He's got 3 talents, he can fight, he can attract girls way to good for him and he can play the bass hardcore. He sponges off his gay roommate and just kinda rolls through life, never really reaching for anything. Until he sees Ramona.

Ramona Flowers, is running. Fleeing New York for Canada and hoping for a do over. Scott sad to say is the nicest guy she's ever dated. She wasn't all that nice either in the past and wrecked more then a few hearts on her way out. She's aware of this and hence the desire for a do-over.

Wallace, the gay roommate that Scott is sponging off of, to the point of platonicly sharing a bed. Wallace is there to make Scott follow through. He's also there to seduce (straight or are they?) men in a ridiculous amount of time. He's kinda a combination shoulder angel/demon and older brother.

Stephen, the band leader. He's desperate to be signed to a label. He's the driving force in Scott's life, since all Scott has is chicks and the band.

Young Neil, youngest guy in the group and back up bass player. He can do Scott's part in the band.

Knives Chau, highschool Scott was dating til he saw Ramona in a library. She's pissed.

Kim Pine, drummer in the band, Scott dated her in high school. She's cute and deeply bitter (which somehow makes her cuter... I think I may be fucked in the head here).

There are other people in the film but they're not that important or are mainly plot devices. I won't go over the ex's you can watch the movie or read the comic and find out alongside Scott.

Now I'm going to advocate a heresy. This isn't mainly a love story. The love story is there yeah. But it's mainly about Scott and Ramona growing up and... Huh... I liked it! I did. Ramon and Scott are forced to confront what they've done to others in the past and why it was wrong. At the end of this movie both characters are more then what they were in the beginning. Like I said at the beginning of this movie Scott is a douche. A rather harmless one, but still a douche. At the end of this movie, he's a real person and almost a grown up. This character development is accompanied by big shiny loud fights that are no where near realistic but are damn fun to fun. See Inception first and then watch this one as your cool down.

B+
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I more or less agree with all of the statements Frigid made above, and came to the same basic conclusion as to the score I give this movie. I walked out of the film unable to really elucidate what it was that I had just seen, but knowing that I had enjoyed it quite thoroughly. I also give it a B+.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I forgot to mention this funny bit. One of the previews for Scott Pilgrim is a horror movie named Devil. It's about a random group of people stuck in an elevator where one of them is a monster cutting on the others. The whole theater was interested... Until M Night Shyamalan's name came up and the whole theater started groaning and laughing. Rightfully or wrongfully, even being associated with his name killed the movie's buzz.

Movie death thy name is Shyamalan.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Funny...I thought Movie death was named Micheal Cera..
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Rukia
Pleasure Kitten

Post by Rukia »

Michael Cera is just a less funny more assholeish Jesse Eisenberg (the kid from ZombieLand)
shark42bait: you are evil...
shark42bait: i admire that in a woman....
I'm a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in an AWESOME rack!
"if you want to get out of a speeding ticket short skirts and crying are still the way to go" Kairy on "mythbusters"

LimePink: "Um, Mr. President? I was doing a suduko puzzle, and based on the hidden co-ordinates in the grid, I think Osama Bin Laden is either here : points on map: or here :points to another spot within 5 miles:. Also, Jay-Z killed Tupac Shakur and the lost treasure of Atlantis actually turned to the glacier that sunk the Titanic."
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Dark Silver wrote:Funny...I thought Movie death was named Micheal Cera..
Michael Cera did a credible job in this movie. I wouldn't trust M. Night Shamwow to direct a peanut butter commercial.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Funny...I thought Movie death was named Micheal Cera..
Hmmm... Considering Cera has never actually killed a movie... I have no damn idea what the hell you're babbling about.
Mayabird
Leader of the Marching Band

Post by Mayabird »

Just got back from the movie.

I was sold on it the moment I saw the old-school pixel and sound Universal logo. It was a crazy lot of fun and silliness and a lot of laughs for me.

...I was planning on saying more but it's hard for me to make anything more coherent than "Squee!" and "what Frigid said." So there.
I :luv: DPDarkPrimus!

Storytime update 8/31: Frigidmagi might be amused by this one.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Strangely enough I've heard some hate for this movie because Scott Pilgrim is a douche. This is odd for me, because to me if you simply pay attention, you quickly realize that's the point.

This movie is about Scott learning he's a douche, deciding not to be a douche anymore and learning how to be a real human being. That's his whole character arch/journey/thingie.