Heroes: Rebirth

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

Alright, I have redone it, hopefully for the last time. Check it out.
Those who do evil to others...the killers, rapists, psychos, sadists...you'll come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me....The Punisher.

The world will look up and shout Save Us and I'll whisper..No.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Question: instead of making him slow everyone around him....why not just give him the speed?

It'd let him still do bullet time, without something as vague and easy to abuse as Time Dilation (I mean, really...his reaction and senses would increase when he moved so everyone else seemed to be standing still), plus you'd still fill a role the team doesn't have.

Otherwise..the character is fine..excpet you know...the weapons. .50cal pistols? ouch...
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Havoc has a fucking Rail Gun! Let him keep his pistols.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

The pistols are fine. Without superstrength have fun with the recoil, even with the reducers on them.

I would like some hard limits on that time dilation though, and at least the GM needs to know if you're planning on it getting any better, because fucking with time is pretty powerful. But as long as you do that I have no problems with the character, your other powers aren't that big at all so it makes sense for you to have a big one to compensate.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Dark Silver wrote:Question: instead of making him slow everyone around him....why not just give him the speed?

It'd let him still do bullet time, without something as vague and easy to abuse as Time Dilation (I mean, really...his reaction and senses would increase when he moved so everyone else seemed to be standing still), plus you'd still fill a role the team doesn't have.

Otherwise..the character is fine..excpet you know...the weapons. .50cal pistols? ouch...
Hotfoot's super-speed from the last game was essentially a time-dilation ability, rather than proper super-speed. As long as there's a set limit on how much he can slow things down, it's not that big of a deal. With time dilation, his punches don't get stronger, just faster, so it's not like he's even the flash. He's just a guy who can move quickly and shoot his guns lots of times. This type of super-speed is a nearly pure support/defensive ability.

Right now, all the guy really can do is a knock-off of Max Payne/FEAR. In reality, without a really specialized firearm, he's actually underpowered for the game.
Last edited by Hotfoot on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Well, Haizu has a tendency to copy video game characters.

1 was the Prototype lead
2 was Master Chief
3 is either the PC from FEAR or Max Payne

My thoughts on the next ones he might come up with are...
4 Dante from DMC
5 Kratos from God of War
6 Solid Snake from MGS
7 Altair from Assassin's Creed
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Agent Fisher
Adept

Post by Agent Fisher »

Just a nitpick, a special ops soldier would not be deemed too old and let go. As long as he was physically fit enough, they'd keep him in the field, or shift him to a training school to train new and upcoming soldiers.

An example would be during the Battle of Mogadishu (aka Black Hawk Down) one of the SFOD Delta guys was 38 years old. Also the two Delta guys who defended the second crash site were 33, and 35.

So, 30 would not be deemed too old.
Last edited by Agent Fisher on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheus:I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

True enough Hotfoot. As long as he can give a ultimate limit on how much he can dilate...I don't see a problem either then.

But the .50 calibur guns......those are going to be hellishly loud. I mean, deafening anyone whose anywhere close to him when he fires..

True, they'll penetrate almost anything but military grade armor and a few metas....but the recoil and sound will deafen us as his teammates - especially when shot indoors.
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

B4UTRUST wrote:Well, Haizu has a tendency to copy video game characters.

1 was the Prototype lead
2 was Master Chief
3 is either the PC from FEAR or Max Payne

My thoughts on the next ones he might come up with are...
4 Dante from DMC
5 Kratos from God of War
6 Solid Snake from MGS
7 Altair from Assassin's Creed
Kratos was one of his characters from the last game. His first one.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Dark Silver wrote:True enough Hotfoot. As long as he can give a ultimate limit on how much he can dilate...I don't see a problem either then.

But the .50 calibur guns......those are going to be hellishly loud. I mean, deafening anyone whose anywhere close to him when he fires..

True, they'll penetrate almost anything but military grade armor and a few metas....but the recoil and sound will deafen us as his teammates - especially when shot indoors.
Potentially, and as you and B4 pointed out, they're going to be hard to handle, especially a fully-auto .50 cal. I mean really, a stripped down Ma Deuce?

Bluntly, all of those weapons are things Mark 25 could use, and actually use well. He's got the super-strength to handle them easily, and he's got the aim to use them modestly well. However, firearms are really secondary in a superhero game. Sure, there are plenty of metas that aren't immune to bullets, but then there are just as many that are. Shit, someone like Mark 25 can make entire groups of people immune to this character.

I'd also like to point out that right now we already have a super-speed blaster, only he won't run out of bullets, injure himself from firing, and he can fly.

Look, Haizu, instead of pulling from video games, pull from superhero games and comics. Decide the role you want to fill, and go from there. I even gave you a suggestion for an interesting brawler type that stands out from the others we already have with his own unique style.
Agent Fisher
Adept

Post by Agent Fisher »

Point, Hotfoot, his assault rifle isn't a chopped down M2. It's a seriously upgraded (in terms of caliber) M4 carbine
Morpheus:I remember that I am here not because of the path that lies before me but because of the path that lies behind me.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Alright, alright let's stop dogging Haizu especially those of you who essentially copied your powers from a comic book or a movie. You know who are.

I suggest giving him some nifty guns to keep him om par and calling him good as long as B4 and him work out the limits on this time slowly power thing.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

Alright, stop bashing me for a second, the only one that I had pulled from a video game was the second one. I didn't even think about how they related to other video games. Second, the Beowulf assault rifle is exactly what Fisher said, a modified M-4, if you don't believe me then look it up. Third the noise level from the Barrett would deafen somebody if it was fired indoors, but the other weapons would not, they are not all that much louder than any other firearm. Now the reason I keep making underhanded characters it seems is because most of you have already done all the cool stuff and I don't want to come across as god-modding. The time dilation effect was meant to literally only be used for movement and reflexes, purely support and defense as Hotfoot stated. Now was would be really nice for a change is if you all would give me constructive criticism and help me out instead of blowing up everything i post on here. Now B4, if this character is fine besides the guns, I will be more than happy to design some.
Those who do evil to others...the killers, rapists, psychos, sadists...you'll come to know me well. Frank Castle is dead. Call me....The Punisher.

Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

Alright, I'll take away the Deagles and give him dual Five-seveN Tacticals. They fire the 5.7x28mm SS190 round. Have a 300 meter range against lightly armored targets, 100 meters against heavily armored targets. Has a 20 round clip. Agreeable?

frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Actually I think you don't need to downgrade your guns dude.
Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

Well everybody was complaining so I changed them. What do you suggest?

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

You're not listening. We're saying that those kinds of guns are generally underpowered for the targets we're going to face, and that the ones you specified are too high-power for someone with baseline human strength to use efficiently.

Ergo, the suggestion is that you increase your physical abilities to peak human or just above, and maybe get some better guns.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Actually I was going to ask how he felt about lasers...
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

For one Haizu, I wasn't bashing you. I was more pointing out (and I think B4 was also) that your characters bare, at least the framework, of the VG characters. It's not nessacrily a bad thing....but there's other media to draw inspiration from.

As for the guns. Admittedly, I got a pair of .45 cal M1911A1es for my guy...I'm not far behind you on the pistol department, especially for the ear shattering kaboom they'll make unless I get them modified for noise and flash.

I mostly wanted to point out, .50cal handguns are hefty pieces of equipment. I'm not saying remove them, I'm just making notes for you to see and think about. In close quarters, minus flash or noise suppression, your gonna be deafening yourself, and everyone else around you. That and even with the recoil suppression, it'll still kick up on you something fierce. The .50cal full auto will have you shooting ceiling after two seconds of sustained fire, if that.

And what Hotfoot pointed out, your baseline strength for them...to hefty for you to use. Increase your stats some in order to make efficient use of the weapons - and get better ones (exactly what Hotfoot says).

And ultimately, the only complaints you do have to listen to, is B4's. It's his game, the complaints of myself and any others, really, amount to two things here: jack and shit.

I mean, we can point out stuff, and try to help make the character work, or feasible, but what we say eventually means nothing compared to the GM.

And frigid.....all of us essentially copied our powers from movies or comics....between the two media, there's really no power that hasn't been done. Even your Blast was technically a different version of Bishop from X-men.
Last edited by Dark Silver on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

While I've never seen another comatose cyberpath in superhero movies/comics, Albert/NeXT is still derivative. He's essentially a Good Guy version of Synapse, logistical command of the Teragen. Who is also a comatose body hooked to a hidden life support system. And also projected holograms. Synapse, of course, had no problem being known as a Nova.
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Sirocco was, as far as I know, a unique creation; then again, I didn't pay as much attention to comics as I could have. The combination of air and fire was just fun.

As for Tempest, he is very similar to Jean Grey in terms of abilities - however, his TK also cuts things, as well as being capable of fine manipulation.
Last edited by rhoenix on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

And Mark 25 is robocop plus the invisible woman. There's a line where things are inspirations and direct copies, thiugh it is a fine one. Personally I don't care as long as it's done well, but whatever. That's another issue entirely. I'm more interested in making sure characters are on par with each other and with the threats they are facing. If you're making a combat character you need to make sure your offensive power is substantial enough to be useful.

Like Frigid said, you may want to consider futuretech weapons. Lasers, Plasma Rifkes, whatever. You may want to have dimensional storage for the guns.
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

Hell, I made nothing about hiding the fact I used Parasite and Rogue as inspiration for Legion's power set. Eventually it became Parasite and some other person who has force fields....but you get the idea.

really, Haizu, if your not gonna have a offensive power, and want to keep guns, really switch to futuretech like Frigid and Hotfoot suggest.

Lasers, 23megawatt plasma rifles, particle beam rifles......PPG pistols (Babylon5 stuff here), all offer good future tech, and will work great with the time slow down power.
Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

Alright, I'll come up with some hi-tech weapons and go with those.

Haizu
Initiate

Post by Haizu »

John Crichton

Height: 5'10"

Weight: 165 lbs

Physical Description: Tanned, blue eyes, blonde hair, well built.

Distinguishing Marks: Long scar running down his left eye.

History: Born September 16, 1975. His ability to manage his bodily functions manifested shortly after he reached puberty. Joining the Marines at age 17, his abilities as a marksman soon became apparent. Joining the Scout Snipers division, he quickly moved up in the ranks and was made squad leader for his team. Taken all over the world for missions, he has extensive connections in many countries. At the age of 30, Ultima came to him and asked if he would like to be brought into a special tactical group more suited to his level of ability. Accepting, John was given an honorable discharge and moved into Ultima's Special Target/Recon program.

Affiliation: Ultima

Abilities

Biofeedback: Able to control the electrical impulses emitted by his brain, John is able to alter his bodily functions. Able to manipulate everything from oxygen consumption to metabolic rates to adrenalin output, this allows him to adapt to virtually any situation. Also greatly accentuates his body's regenerative capabilities.

Time Dilation: Telepathically able to manipulate the local time/space continuum, John is able to slow down everything around him yet still move at normal speeds. This ability also extends to anything he is currently holding or touching as well. Although this allows him to move and fire at increased speeds, shortly after the rounds leave his weapon they drop back to normal speeds due to them leaving his area of influence. He is currently able to slow time down to 1/3 speed. Able to hold this effect for 10 seconds. Due to the large amounts of energy needed to use this ability, he starts to become physically fatigued if he exceeds this 10 second limit.

Unerring Aim: As a side effect of his biofeedback ability, his neural pathways have broadened, allowing more perceptive data to be analyzed at faster rates than normal. This allows him to be faster, more accurate, and more efficient with firearms and other such weapons.

Equipment

Light Mass Accelerator Rifle aka Phobos: This rifle is equipped with a Mass Accelerator system that is capable of propelling 1.5 inch projectiles at hypersonic speeds. Equipped with a specialized targeting computer, it takes in range, wind speed, coriolis effect, and several other pieces of data to calculate the amount of acceleration needed to hit the target and adjusts targeting as well. It fires three types of rounds: Gel Shock, Penetrating, and AP. It's default round, the Gel Shock, is non-lethal, moderately damaging due to the high velocity of the projectile, and capable of inducing a knockout in one shot. The round is made up of a ultra-thin coat of iron which is stripped away during the rounds flight, which releases a high density gel that is encased in thin plastic to allow it to retain it's aerodynamic shape. When the round impacts, the plastic shell is ruptured, "splashing" the target to reduce the impact to non-lethal capacities. The penetrating round consists of a super-dense tungsten steel alloy that is tipped at the business end. A veritable wrecking ball, this round should only be used to take down hardened targets due to it's speed and ballistic energy. The last round is Anti-Personnel. It consist of a tungsten outer layer with a ferrous core. Upon impact, the round penetrates, then shatters, sending shrapnel throughout the immediate area, maximizing the wound cavity. This rifle is equipped with a speed load/release mechanism. 40 rounds per box.

Particle Carbine aka Swarm aka The "Snotgun": This medium ranged assault carbine utilizes beta particles from a nuclear gel cartridge. Fires at 200 shots per minute, 600 shots per cartridge. The particle discharge is created by vaporizing the nuclear gel in the cartridge, condensing the beta particles that are released in an electromagnetic field, and accelerating them at supersonic speeds towards the intended target. The discharge is a neon green, hence the nickname "Snotgun". Outfitted with a specialized scope for moderate image magnification and target recognition. Cartridges become clean, inert material upon depletion.
Last edited by Haizu on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.