Knights of the Old Republic Game

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Yeah, because hardened mercs respond REAL well to threats.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I did warn the little Sithies. . . .

But I am a merciful god. Here are some common enemies.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

My recipe for dealing with Sith threats.

1) Jedi uses the force to hold the Sith down for a second.
2) 4 Mercenaries pump a hundred blaster bolts into said Sith's body while he is delayed.

Let sit for five minutes and then argue about who shot first over nachos and beer.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I was wondering if Trys heard that statement... because if so, I was going to tell the boys "Nevermind, just dump him over the edge and be done with it."

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, Cyncat, how many rounds for the Sunrise to get there?

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:Ok, Cyncat, how many rounds for the Sunrise to get there?
It can't unless you blow a pit from the top of the city structure to the bottom, where they are.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The Jedi just told him that if he did not disarm himself in the presence of armed mercenaries and then submit to being dragged before a kangaroo court staffed entirely by the sworn, mortal enemies of the Sith, he would leave him on this planet to die by the hands of invulnerable, innumerable bounty hunters. Both of those choices sound like "automatic, absolute death"

What choice did he have but to try a threat? Even if threats give him a 99% chance of just being shot down, it's a better chance from his perspective than either of the other options.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote:
What choice did he have but to try a threat? Even if threats give him a 99% chance of just being shot down, it's a better chance from his perspective than either of the other options.
You had options besides answering yes or no, including redirecting the conversation. Instead you threatened a Jedi, a Wookie, and a Mandalorian.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Cynical Cat wrote: You had options besides answering yes or no, including redirecting the conversation. Instead you threatened a Jedi, a Wookie, and a Mandalorian.
Perhaps, but from his perspective, the Jedi issued the first threat. Sith don't tend to sit around calmly debating how to politely reply to Jedi who propose to abandon them to die at the hands of lackeys and bounty hunters, or demand their abject surrender. I have to act in-character, even when it's inconvenient.

Besides, as it turns out they didn't have time for any lengthy discussions. If y'all want to shoot him in the back, you're well within your rights.

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Hmmmmm Friendly fire is a sin before God. However!

Wookies do not worship God.

Is shooting a Sith who threatened to kill me really friendly fire?

Hmmmm...
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

My only suggestion, self-serving as it is, is that there are sixteen targets who right this moment, trying to kill you. And the Sith is not one of them. Perhaps you could defer your shooting him unil thereafter?

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Save it til later, Dewaddik. We can always toss him out the airlock.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

*grumbles*
Then can I give them directions to the 'fastest way out'? :razz:

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

LadyTevar wrote:*grumbles*
Then can I give them directions to the 'fastest way out'? :razz:
They're big boys. They can find the elevator cages they came down in on their own. :razz:
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Bruce Willis captures the moment best, I think.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

"Boring conversation anyway.
YES!
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Who's that with the sexy warcry? Must be the Wookiee, aw yeah.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote:Cyncat, did you just kill my character by ambushing him from behind with adversaries he could not have known were there? In other words the only way for me to have survived this scene was to metagame and cheat?

Lots of luck to the rest of you.
No, I killed you by shooting you from the side and above while you were busy using your secondary power to throw around large and massive war droids easily, despite me already having whapped you in the nose with a rolled newspaper about this. Apparently saying "novice" doesn't stick. I have other methods of getting my point across.

There were droids converging on three sides, which I clearly posted. Anyone who didn't retreat was facing 270 degrees of droid shooty death and you tossed away your cover to boot.

So yes, you died.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Excuse me? Whapped my nose with a rolled up newspaper? I asked you for permission for every action I made but this one, and you waved your hand and said "go right ahead". This is the first indication you gave me that I was overplaying the TK. In fact you explicitly told me several times to just go ahead and have fun butchering nameless NPCs with it. And then suddenly I do it one too many times and I'm dead.

Well done.

And moreover, my character didn't know that the grenade in question was a smoker. If a mercenary threw grenades at you, would you sit there and calmly wait for them to detonate on the off-chance that they happened to be non-lethal? Or perhaps your suggestion was that I should have cheated, and metagamed the knowledge of what they were directly into his mind.

If that's the sort of thing that is to be encouraged, it's probably for the best that I died. Have fun with the rest of the game.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote:Excuse me? Whapped my nose with a rolled up newspaper? I asked you for permission for every action I made but this one, and you waved your hand and said "go right ahead". This is the first indication you gave me that I was overplaying the TK. In fact you explicitly told me several times to just go ahead and have fun butchering nameless NPCs with it. And then suddenly I do it one too many times and I'm dead.
I told you to you could kill them, but use restraint. You weren't just killing them, you were tossing them around and butchering them as if you were Darth Vader.

I specifically mentioned that the reason you were shot in the arm and lost your lightsaber was from pushing your powers and leaving you open, which is a not at all subtle way of saying "pull it way the fuck back."

The grenade decision was reasonable, but didn't help. Your decision to stay in the center of a bunch of converging droids covered in armour and guns wasn't. Blaster deflection wasn't your character's bag even before you were wounded and you had succeeded in alienating the rest of the PCs, so there was no reason for me not to let you suffer the consequences of exposing yourself to blaster fire from three different angles.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Cynical Cat wrote:I specifically mentioned that the reason you were shot in the arm and lost your lightsaber was from pushing your powers and leaving you open, which is a not at all subtle way of saying "pull it way the fuck back."
I'm sorry, Cyncat. That was not at all how I interpretted that. I interpreted it as "No, you do not get two lightsabres right off the bat, let me take one away from you." I am not psychic. I cannot derive your intentions that way. You never once mentioned anything of the sort, even when I was asking you for permission for things. I suppose I picked the wrong moment to post before asking permission.
The grenade decision was reasonable, but didn't help. Your decision to stay in the center of a bunch of converging droids covered in armour and guns wasn't. Blaster deflection wasn't your character's bag even before you were wounded and you had succeeded in alienating the rest of the PCs, so there was no reason for me not to let you suffer the consequences of exposing yourself to blaster fire from three different angles.
No, I suppose there was not.

Lots of luck to you all.
Last edited by General Havoc on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Dude, the hardened mercs who all but laughed in your face and were about to slaughter you outright ran away at top speed from what was coming, as did the other force-user.

16+ droids with big guns and thick armor are not something to fuck with, even if you're Han Solo. Hell, even if you're Darth Vader.

Your character was clearly suicidal. Don't be pissed when said suicidal actions result in death. You could have run away with us at any time. Nobody bolted your feet to the ground, and last I checked "Run away to fight another day" was still a highly valued Sith mantra.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

You guys were just as threatening to him as he was to you, he had little reason to follow after you and expect to live, but his chances would have been slightly better.

I don't think he's upset over dying because he was surrounded though. I think he's upset because communication between player and GM was not clear and that aided in his death.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

General Havoc wrote: I'm sorry, Cyncat. That was not at all how I interpretted that. I interpreted it as "No, you do not get two lightsabres right off the bat, let me take one away from you." I am not psychic. I cannot derive your intentions that way. You never once mentioned anything of the sort, even when I was asking you for permission for things. I suppose I picked the wrong moment to post before asking permission.
I spent enough time bitching about the Force users being novices and toning it down. I specifically mentioned restraint when talking to you.

You threw around Gamorreans like it was easy and cut them apart like you were a blade master.

I specifically mentioned that you had pushed your powers passed their limit and thus let your defences down and were thus wounded.

Style wise, I tend to give players freedom, but the consequences come do. You pushed and you pushed and you got shot and then you alienated the rest of the PCs, stood in crossfire, and kept pushing.

So yes, you died.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

My character believed that to follow you people would be to be shot down dead. He believed this because, in leaving, one of you threw a grenade at him. The fact that I know it was the wrong move to make cannot be permitted to affect the decision I made. I got surrounded and killed. I accept that as the logical consequences.

But I stand by every action I made as being in-character and reasonable given the perspective of the situation. I would make them all again.
I spent enough time bitching about the Force users being novices and toning it down. I specifically mentioned restraint when talking to you.

You threw around Gamorreans like it was easy and cut them apart like you were a blade master.
You did not specifically mention restraint when talking to me! Not once! And I threw around Gamorreans like it was easy and cut them apart because you told me I could do so. I asked you if I was overdoing it no less than twice, and you told me no, that it was fine, that they were just slavers and that I could do as I liked to them. You told me that. I did what you told me I was allowed to do. Every time.

Don't tell me that I did not.
Last edited by General Havoc on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.