Order of the Stick Comment thread 611 and counting.

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I promise this is a published character in a fantasy book series that sold a good number of copies during it's run. In fact to keep with the OoTS theme he's even a character on a DnD world. :grin:
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

For the record, I wasn't so much referring to actual justice as the justice of seeing consequences come up and bite the players in the ass long after their actions.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

frigidmagi wrote:I promise this is a published character in a fantasy book series that sold a good number of copies during it's run. In fact to keep with the OoTS theme he's even a character on a DnD world. :grin:
I don't know this one :shock:

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:I promise this is a published character in a fantasy book series that sold a good number of copies during it's run. In fact to keep with the OoTS theme he's even a character on a DnD world. :grin:
OK, so spill the beans! It's obvious we're not getting it. Who is this mystery character? :grin:

PS: in other news, GITP forums are still slower than molasses and chock full of timeouts, even after the deletions of old threads. Sigh. I really can't see how those deletions were supposed to help anyway, they should get a better server.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Here's a hint: the ranger in question has a sentient hellhound skin.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

OK, I got the answer, but only due to my Google-fu and Cynical Cat's hint. :smile:

I'm afraid that I must relinquish a few nerd-points, since I was not familiar with that series previously (I don't have much stuff from that setting). :???:
Spoiler: show
The Justicar, White Plume Mountain, Grayhawk setting
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

You got it.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, I believe I said that deleting threads wouldn't help server speed, because stuff on the database has nothing to do with traffic volume, which is their problem.
The Paladin's Domain, My Blog (Updated 5/18/2009)

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." -- General John Stark

"A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle.
A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat.
Do not forget the difference."

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Rogue 9 wrote:Yeah, I believe I said that deleting threads wouldn't help server speed, because stuff on the database has nothing to do with traffic volume, which is their problem.
Perhaps they could set up an alternative low-bandwidth board format, one with no graphics of any kind (avatars, sigitars, etc), just ultra-plain text-only minimalism. People could switch to that when things got difficult.

Or, just hire a new and improved server. Do you know whether they're hiring some service or is it Rich's own server? :???:
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's his own server. The trouble is he doesn't have money for a better one. This wouldn't be a problem, as there have been plenty of donation offers, but he also won't accept donations because he doesn't want people to feel they have the right to demand the comic on time because they donated.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed." -- G. K. Chesterton
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Rogue 9 wrote:It's his own server. The trouble is he doesn't have money for a better one. This wouldn't be a problem, as there have been plenty of donation offers, but he also won't accept donations because he doesn't want people to feel they have the right to demand the comic on time because they donated.
Well, then the low bandwidth version option seems to be the only way, I think.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Damn. That's nasty stuff. Are "all the wrong reasons" revenge for what is about to happen? It seems that this could be what drives V to the dark side.

PS: "other parent", heh. No revelations yet. The kids seem darker than both V and Parent. Does this imply adoption or that dark skin is recessive among elves (as opposed to humans)?
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

26 and only in kintergarten. How cute :lol:

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

well, on one hand I can understand why the Dragoness is doing what she's doing...she's evil aligned after all (being a black dragon), and she's following "Eye for a Eye" by taking V's children when V and his party took her child. She doesn't even care about the horse, just her spawn.

I'm not saying it's defendable, but it's understandable.

Sucks for V though.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
Rogue 9
Master

Post by Rogue 9 »

What horse?

And given the typical Huge dragon's touch AC, that's one hell of a miss.

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Rogue 9 wrote:What horse?
I think he mispelled "Hoard"

And given the typical Huge dragon's touch AC, that's one hell of a miss.
V's not been trancing.... sleep dep.

Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

Post by Dark Silver »

yes, i meant hoard......but I went to spell it horde...

shaddap, I'm still recovering.
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

Hello? I have a message here for - AAAAH!!!!

This is not going to be easy. And did the dragon not teleport directly to the site of V's home? Unless V's family was unexpectedly not at home at that time, there may very well be nothing left to save.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

The Dragon would drag the torture out as long as she could.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

"My Mate is an Apprentice BAKER!"

I have to wonder how many years The Mate has to apprentice to become a master.

The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

And we have proof that these "pre-approved" junk mail deals are indeed the work of Hell. :shock:
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Somehow I'm not shocked that an active, long lived, high level mage is pre-approved.
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

frigidmagi wrote:Somehow I'm not shocked that an active, long lived, high level mage is pre-approved.
Yeah, I know. Especially after Quarr commented on how few mages actually make it that far, and how Kubota was rejected due to the fiends not thinking they'd get a return on their investment. Pretty clear.

It was more a joke on all that real world junk mail we all know and "love". :smile:
The Minx
Pleasure Kitten

Post by The Minx »

It's an unholy alliance, <gasp>.

Seems the fiends are pulling out the stops to get V aboard.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

IFCC.... I've heard that before somewhere...

Not surprised at this. I am wondering what they'll ask for though. Getting V's soul, while nice enough doesn't help their goals as much as a rampaging Elder Black Dragon in the middle of the Elvish lands does (ah the suffering of near immortals, it's like a well cooked steak...) Do they want V to do them a little favor? Life for a Life? We kill the Dragon, you promise to kill someone for us? Or maybe just train a number of aspiring evil doers?

Most evil mentors have the tendency to kill their students at a pretty alarming rate. One of the reasons good can win as often as it does is good mentors are less likely to murder their students, thus ensuring a better replacement and renewal rate. With V training say... 5 evil doers on being an effective arcane power tosser... Well it would liven things up wouldn't it?