New User Introductions Mk II

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Listen Malza, we don't like your kind here.

*flunky whispers in my ears*

Yes, I'm aware that the Malazans employ kick ass Marines as part of their hosts . . . . right. Frigid.

Okay, some of your kind are welcome here.

*more whispers*

Yes, I guess the Tiste Andi aren't that far off from other people we have around here.

*more whispers*

Alright, alright. You're welcome here. *grumbles* I never get to freeze someone with the might of Omtose Phellack.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

I take it you know some of them, Cyncat?

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

His user name is the Elder Warren of Darkness from the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Ericson.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

One of these days, I'll read those.... :roll:

Kurald Galain
Acolyte

Post by Kurald Galain »

You should. They are pretty good. It does have the standerd 'long series decay,' but the first few are excellent.
Out- out are the lights- out all!
And, over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
Comes down with the rush of a storm,
While the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy, "Man,"
And its hero the Conqueror Worm.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Memories of Ice" is my favorite, but I'm quite looking forward to the family reunion now that Draconis is free.

Unlike some series, the books maybe long but stuff gets resolved in them. Isn't that right oh Undying Emperor of the Tiste Edur and - oh. Someone bury that mess. And give the Toblaki some room. As much room as he wants.

I love Karsa Orlung's way of getting supplies from a city governor. "I will tell him that I intend to stay until I get supplies for my journey." :grin:
Iron Magus
Acolyte

Post by Iron Magus »

Hello people! I'm Iron Magus, and I've been lurking here for quite a while. I'm mostly here for the userfics, so I decided to register now that that forum is member-only.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Well, crap, if that's what it takes to get people to register, we should have done that LONG ago! :wink:

Welcome, and don't be a lurker! Feel free to comment or critique the authors. :grin:

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Welcome
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Shit, seriously.

Welcome!

Only most of the people here have rabies, so you stand a better than 9.5% chance of not contracting this ordinary and common disease.

Most of us think that it helps our writing. Between the incoherent screaming and calls for the blood of those who dare offend us, that is.

Good minions are so hard to find these days.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

The rabies thing is news to me, frankly. Or maybe it's because I'm not part of the writing subset of this community.
Welcome to LA, Kurald Galain and Iron Magus. Don't say we didn't warn you.
Um-at leatht for you perthonally, you DIDN'T, Mather Bruth...
Well don't say we wouldn't have warned you if we had the chance then. Or something.
Last edited by Batman on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Jason L. Miles
Acolyte

Post by Jason L. Miles »

I'm Jason L. Miles on SD.Net, ASVS, and various other places across the net. I'm here because I followed the link in Imperial Overlord's signature.

I'm still exploring around here, but it looks like a fun place!
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

We've gotten more people that way....

Welcome Jason. We have more fun than SDnet, imho.

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Be welcome, sweet guest.
Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Bugger. Now I'll have to start remembering last names again.
Welcome to LA, Jason. You'll never
That was SDN, Master Bruce
Abandon all hope, ye who
You ditched that one too, Master Bruce
Screw it. Welcome to LA, enjoy your stay, and if I were you I'd be VERY protective of my vital organs.
A warm welcome from the rest of us Cave Dwellers, and Master Richard and Mistress Barbara too, Master Miles.
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
BadgerMan
Acolyte

Post by BadgerMan »

Hey all, I have been informed by management that I must post here, I am a local games store owner and friend of JF and Utanka. I am not the one that booted them I am the other games store in Boulder, but I am on the opposite side of town from them, about 40 min away.
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

'must' post here? This place is way more influential than I thought :grin:
Welcome to LA, BadgerMan. I can't promise your stay will be enjoyable but it WILL be interesting :razz:
A hearty welcome from the rest of us Cave Dwellers, and Master Richard and Mistress Barbara, too.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

You actually claim to know them IRL, Badgerman? Wow... I'm impressed!

:wink:

Welcome to the board, I hope you find lots to enjoy here

Squidgey
Apprentice

Post by Squidgey »

Greetings everybody.

Those of you who have been around for ages might remember me, I was invited here by Petrosjeko because we had some pretty solid and fun times in urbandead on our respective side of things (is anyone still playing? I got back into it for Borehamwood and I'm one of the last 59 survivors in the mini-perma death server - our graffitti taunts of the junkyards "We're in the other one you fools!" has either backfired on us or worked beyond our wildest dreams depending on the side you take but having all JY's in a suburb compromised within 2 hours of each other, well hehehe). I introduced rukia here and yes this is more of a re-introduction because I stopped posting ages ago because to be perfectly honest I didn't feel I quite fitted in. Alot of the stuff in the science and logic section was far above me at the time but now that I'm at university and doing a BA of Science majoring in Animal Behaviour I felt it was time to check back in once in a while as perhaps I can contribute more on discussion of many things biology and in particular elephants and their conservation, for which I am working towards. So whilst this is not a new introduction I felt after such a hiatus and the likely sporadic posting that I will do here, that a re-introduction was needed. So greetings to you all and especially to Cass and Josh.

Squidgey,

Luke.

P.S. I have just gotten into the Malazan Empire books by Steven Erickson myself, I'm currently up to the 5th book and Tehol Beddict (pretty sure that's his last name) is an awesome awesome character. If you've not read the books, read them. They are different to alot of fantasy in how gods are portrayed for a start, with the complexity of the plot and sub plots within sub plots being quite spectacular. That you'll get references to a character in one book and not see them again for another 4 or 5 books is intriguing and seeing the overlapping story arcs as differing characters stories are explored is most intriguing. The thing about the books is the shear depth of content. Some may disagree with me but when you see one unit pop up here then end up there and you actually realise it's them you'll smile a bit. They are books where you can re-read them once twice maybe even three times and still see things you hadn't seen before. Iskural Pust though would have to be one of my favourite characters thus far. :)
I am the Squire to a Gobbo named Ram Rock Ed First who is trapped inside of an Impenetrable and Indestructable Magically Imbued Steel Orc Golem Prison Shell!

Wow!
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Welcome back. You don't need to be a scientist or anything to fit in here, there are so many areas in which one can contribute.

I've recently returned to LA as well, and if someone hadn't noticed then I'm checking in now. Hiya all *waves*

Read Gardens of the Moon, was not impressed, to be honest. Didn't even finish.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

"Gardens of the Moon" is, unfortunately, not as well written as the rest of the Malazan series.

<Insert pimping R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing and Matt Stover's Caine books here>
Batman
The Dark Knight

Post by Batman »

Some of us indeed DO remember you :grin:
Welcome back, Squidgey.
A heartfelt welcome back from the rest of us Cave Dwellers, and Master Richard and Mistress Barbara, too, Master Squidgey
And good luck on the elephants.
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

And for the record Cass and Josh haven't been around in ages. Years at this point, I think...
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Squidgey
Apprentice

Post by Squidgey »

Batman wrote:Some of us indeed DO remember you :grin:
Welcome back, Squidgey.
A heartfelt welcome back from the rest of us Cave Dwellers, and Master Richard and Mistress Barbara, too, Master Squidgey
And good luck on the elephants.
Yes, my last PM's from 2006 and Jan 2007 are from you Batman so that isn't too much of a surprise. I must say though I do not recognise Master Richard or Mistress Barbara's names however...oh and my actual name is Luke, but call me whatever you feel like, it's actually a bit odd being Squidgey as I've gone through 2 or 3 other usernames across various online MMO's and forums in the past 3 years, bit of a change heh.

B4UTRUST Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the record Cass and Josh haven't been around in ages. Years at this point, I think...

I haven't spoken to Josh for years myself, and last time I spoke to Cass she'd fixed her life up awesomely moved across country and gotten engaged and stuff was going well for her. Anyone heard anything updated from her?
fgalkin Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome back. You don't need to be a scientist or anything to fit in here, there are so many areas in which one can contribute.

I've recently returned to LA as well, and if someone hadn't noticed then I'm checking in now. Hiya all *waves*

Read Gardens of the Moon, was not impressed, to be honest. Didn't even finish.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Hey fgalkin, welcome back. :)

I've been doing alot of gaming recently, gotten back into 40k, picked up more of the metagame, and am picking upa rogue trader era space marine army off a mate a state away for a good price, does anyone here play 40k and if so where would one discuss such things and other games board or otherwise here?

Gardens of the Moon i was told by several people that it was a book you either read through and loved or didn't. If you didn't like it 150 pages through you weren't finishing it and weren't going to read on. A bit of a shame as it's only when you hit the second book - that's the chain of dogs one isn't it? Oh man, seriously the 30 page battle in that is beyond epic - and subsequent books that you can start to see just how complicated yet artfully linked the differing events in each book are. But to read the 2nd and subesequent books you do need to finish the first one...
I am the Squire to a Gobbo named Ram Rock Ed First who is trapped inside of an Impenetrable and Indestructable Magically Imbued Steel Orc Golem Prison Shell!

Wow!
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

Cass and Josh moved in together and that was the last anyone really heard from them to my knowledge. They shacked up and kinda dropped off the face of the earth. So I assume they're still together and still marginally happy.
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers