His Majesty's Dragons

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Let me get this straight... you won't play a Pole because of the evil things the Poles did to your people in WWII, but you're perfectly willing to play a German from the same period?

Wow... just... wow...

Rarely have I ever seen someone torpedo their own application with as much vigor as you just did. Ignoring the fact that you asked for assistance, ignoring the fact that your own concepts were unworkable for reasons I have explained, did you actually just pull out 'Polak'? Seriously? That epithet is so archaic, I had to look up the spelling. What's next? Dirty Papist jokes?

No, no, I'm sorry, I am not amused by racial epithets in OOC, no matter how archaic, and I find the notion of attempting to excuse them with your own racial/religious background to be offensive. If you're gonna spew this kind of crap around "because of what was done to the Jews", then as a Jew myself, allow me to say: "Go back to bed". That sort of crap cuts no ice with me. You don't want to play a Pole, that's fine, but in deciding to frame it in that manner, you have just proven that you do not have the maturity to handle a game involving Nazis. I have neither the time nor the inclination to waste further words on this matter. Your application is denied. Go away.
Last edited by General Havoc on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

ou won't play a Pole because of the evil things the Poles did to your people in WWII, but you're perfectly willing to play a German from the same period?
That does seem a little odd. To be fair the Polish of the time were racist bastards, but who wasn't?
Dirty Papist jokes?
I do have some mighty good zingers about that. One has lepers!
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

Utanka, speaking as a board mod, please keep the ethnic slurs to yourself.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Post by Avian Obscurities »

Oh really there were three Kampfritters? i thought it was just the two, one on you and the one im working on. >.<
I accidentally all the Brujah.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Avian Obscurities wrote:Oh really there were three Kampfritters? i thought it was just the two, one on you and the one I'm working on. >.<
Well, no...in my sleep-deprived state then, I had Veritas pick a fight with three Kampfritters. He took down the first one, and was getting double-teamed by the last two when Flinder showed up.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Looole, musta been the same state i was in when i was like, "Whatsthat? A named NPC heavyweight Jotun dripping with guns? I can take it! Whatever, whatever, i do what i want!" ;D
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Avian Obscurities wrote:Looole, musta been the same state i was in when i was like, "Whatsthat? A named NPC heavyweight Jotun dripping with guns? I can take it! Whatever, whatever, i do what i want!" ;D
I'm not following. I'm in my normal state and still charging Albatros. :grin:
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Charon wrote:I'm not following. I'm in my normal state and still charging Albatros. :grin:
Albatros is, as far as I know, far less scary against a fellow lightweight than against something bigger. Ironically, Kunja & Jake might have the best chance against him.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

rhoenix wrote:
Charon wrote:I'm not following. I'm in my normal state and still charging Albatros. :grin:
Albatros is, as far as I know, far less scary against a fellow lightweight than against something bigger. Ironically, Kunja & Jake might have the best chance against him.
It's still about as suicidal as one of you heavies attacking Ragnarok.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

...Holy crap. AO, if I read your post correctly, that last Kampfritter is in a very, very bad position. If your intent was to serve it up on a silver platter for Veritas (again, if I'm visualizing this correctly), then it seems you succeeded admirably.

However, if this does end up like I think it will, Flinder and Veritas will likely have to start leaving in a major hurry after the last Kampfritter is dealt with properly. Despite having troops to spare, I really doubt the Big Cloud O' Nazi's would take well to having three of their heavyweights mauled with little or no retaliation for it.
Last edited by rhoenix on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- William Gibson

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Charon wrote:It's still about as suicidal as one of you heavies attacking Ragnarok.
Exactly. :cool:

- William Gibson

Jason_Firewalker
Disciple

Post by Jason_Firewalker »

Captain's Name: Captain (and Lord) Andrew Walder the Fifth
Captain's Age: 22
Captain's Description: A tall Welsh man with braided beard and massive muscles, Andrew is also a former tank driver driven into air corps service, something he is not extatic with. Much preffering the solidarity of mother earth to the wind and rain of the skies. He takes a typical tank driver mentality with social situations but is suprisingly tactical in his manuvers in combat. He hates being nobility and will shy away from any questions about his heritage and how he became captain of a Anglewing. With the recent deaths of his three older brothers (two of whom were air corps, one of whom was a radar operator), and his father's debilitating heart attack and stroke combination which left him a vegtable, Andrew has been thrust into two services he would rather have never taken on.

Dragon's Name: Tempero
Dragon's Age: 40
Dragon's Breed: Anglewing
Dragon's Description: Born in 1899, Tempero was pressed into the service of Lord Admiral Johnathan Walder, and loved every second of the command it gave him. He is somewhat boistorous and exudes an aura of leadership but unfortuantely with the untimely change in his first Captain's condition, he has been thrust into service with the youngest of the man's sons and into a role where he is taking orders, not giving them.

Background: Raised on a large acreage in the northern Welsh hills, both Tempero and Andrew have a great appreciation for natural beauty and motherland of England. They were never the greatest of friends when Andrew was just a lad, infact Andrew secretly as a child almost hated the air corps because of it keeping his father away so much. With the deaths of his three older brothers and the insistiance of his sister that she wished to remain out of the war, Andrew was pressed into service as captain of his own Anglewing.

Tempero is a veteran of the First World War and a very tactical commander. He chooses his angles of attack and defense with precision not known to most dragons. An expert at dealing with Bavarians and other middleweights, he is known to carry a slightly lighter crew of men then the average middleweight so that he can manuver more elegantly and quickly. He is very set in his ways about being a commander but now that he is just your average dragon he is very good about giving "advice" as he calls it, to other dragons.

Resubmitted, again, for approval or disapproval
'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today — but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all'
-- Sir Issac Asimov

The True Resurrection would undo the chartrusing of the Gnome
-- My friend figuring out how to permanently turn a gnome chartreuse

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents
--HP Lovecraft in Call Of Cthulhu
Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

rhoenix wrote:...Holy crap. AO, if I read your post correctly, that last Kampfritter is in a very, very bad position. If your intent was to serve it up on a silver platter for Veritas (again, if I'm visualizing this correctly), then it seems you succeeded admirably.

However, if this does end up like I think it will, Flinder and Veritas will likely have to start leaving in a major hurry after the last Kampfritter is dealt with properly. Despite having troops to spare, I really doubt the Big Cloud O' Nazi's would take well to having three of their heavyweights mauled with little or no retaliation for it.
Lole ;) I was discussing with Havoc what to do, and he pointed out the lack of crew and suggested I try taking the...bird? No...lizard? no....whatever. Taking him.

Course i have NO IDEA what i will DO with said Kampfritter should I actually SUCCEED >.>
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

The GM requests player commentary on the above application.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Feed him to the dogs, my emperor.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Feed him to the dogs, my emperor. "Former tank driver driven into the air force"? "Very tactical, choosing his angles of attacks with precision unknown to other dragons?" Did he actually read what he wrote and does he actually understand what "tactical" means?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

*cough* Actually Jason? Your boy is to big to be a tank driver. Very cramped space you understand?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Avian Obscurities wrote:Course i have NO IDEA what i will DO with said Kampfritter should I actually SUCCEED >.>
It's the same thing that Albatros did with Jebediah and Judith.

You put a gun to the Captain's head, and tell him land. The Dragon, knowing his captain's in trouble, does everything you say because he doesn't want his captain hurt... and most captains are not suicidal either. Instant prisoner, and you get rewarded for capturing a heavyweight dragon.

(It helps if you don't lose a lot of people while doing so.)

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Is there actually a reason that Tempero would be unusually skilled with his aiming despite being a middleweight? I mean, Kunja's got some moves but I've tried to at least EXPLAIN why he's got some moves.

Really? What is with players and wanting to post characters that are already "hot shit". Slightly hypocritical? Maybe. But again, I tried to explain why my character was good at maneuvers, never claimed he was better than most, and fully recognized in his character history that the shit he does is occasionally outright suicidal.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Hokay, part by part, since there is certainly some salvageable stuff here.
Jason_Firewalker wrote:Captain's Name: Captain (and Lord) Andrew Walder the Fifth
Captain's Age: 22
Captain's Description: A tall Welsh man with braided beard and massive muscles, Andrew is also a former tank driver driven into air corps service, something he is not extatic with. Much preffering the solidarity of mother earth to the wind and rain of the skies. He takes a typical tank driver mentality with social situations but is suprisingly tactical in his manuvers in combat. He hates being nobility and will shy away from any questions about his heritage and how he became captain of a Anglewing. With the recent deaths of his three older brothers (two of whom were air corps, one of whom was a radar operator), and his father's debilitating heart attack and stroke combination which left him a vegtable, Andrew has been thrust into two services he would rather have never taken on.
Frigid pointed out how Tankers during this time weren't big and burly folk, just out of necessity. Change that, and you should be okay.
Jason_Firewalker wrote:Dragon's Name: Tempero
Dragon's Age: 40
Dragon's Breed: Anglewing
Dragon's Description: Born in 1899, Tempero was pressed into the service of Lord Admiral Johnathan Walder, and loved every second of the command it gave him. He is somewhat boistorous and exudes an aura of leadership but unfortuantely with the untimely change in his first Captain's condition, he has been thrust into service with the youngest of the man's sons and into a role where he is taking orders, not giving them.

Background: Raised on a large acreage in the northern Welsh hills, both Tempero and Andrew have a great appreciation for natural beauty and motherland of England. They were never the greatest of friends when Andrew was just a lad, infact Andrew secretly as a child almost hated the air corps because of it keeping his father away so much. With the deaths of his three older brothers and the insistiance of his sister that she wished to remain out of the war, Andrew was pressed into service as captain of his own Anglewing.
No nitpicks here (Thanks to Tev for pointing out that it is Anglewing after all)
Jason_Firewalker wrote:Tempero is a veteran of the First World War and a very tactical commander. He chooses his angles of attack and defense with precision not known to most dragons. An expert at dealing with Bavarians and other middleweights, he is known to carry a slightly lighter crew of men then the average middleweight so that he can manuver more elegantly and quickly. He is very set in his ways about being a commander but now that he is just your average dragon he is very good about giving "advice" as he calls it, to other dragons.
- Him preferring a light crew for maneuverability is a good quirk. That's okay.

- Him being "a very tactical commander" is...misleading. Say that "due to his previous experience, he has gained first-hand knowledge and experience of aerial combat," and leave it at that. As Charon said, Kunja and Jake are daredevils, but they're not mentioned as being the best in Australia or anything. Heroes are normally borne of humble beginnings, after all.

- Having Tempero be "set in his ways" will be a problem, especially because of the Germans' versatility and invention of new tactics during this time in this universe. Additionally, having him be the type to shout advice to others makes me instantly think "know-it-all," which won't do wonders for his interaction with others.

- Having him be an "expert" at anything is min-maxing, really. Say that he is more experienced and knowledgeable at aerial combat against other midweights, and that would be ok.

All in all, the character should be okay, given different directions about certain attributes.

(EDIT: there really is a breed of Anglewing, after all)
Last edited by rhoenix on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- William Gibson

LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

rhoenix wrote:it's *Angelwing, but that's my only nitpick.
No dear... it's Anglewing, because the sharp angles of their wings makes them adroit at fast maneuvers. However, they have the drawback of being easily tired by constant flight, iirc.

rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

LadyTevar wrote:
rhoenix wrote:it's *Angelwing, but that's my only nitpick.
No dear... it's Anglewing, because the sharp angles of their wings makes them adroit at fast maneuvers. However, they have the drawback of being easily tired by constant flight, iirc.
Aha - thank you, and edited my post above.

- William Gibson

Avian Obscurities
Apprentice

Whoah theres a Temeraire Wiki? Awesome :D
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

Post by LadyTevar »

Avian Obscurities wrote:Whoah theres a Temeraire Wiki? Awesome :D
Nomai Novik also has a LiveJournal page and a Facebook page, where she posts short stories as well as previews of what she's writing.

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Havoc and I were up for several hours working on this one...

Here it is.