STGOD?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Rocketships? Hrm, is it going to be that kind of game? :razz: I have to admit I'm not a fan of steampunk.

Also, heh, Nit, kind I, y'know, sortakindahaveAustraliaasawholemaybeNewZealandtooprettyprettyplease? :grin: :mrgreen:
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
SirNitram
The All-Seeing Eye

Post by SirNitram »

You will not be rocketed into submission. Go ahead. They're so far from the damn zero-line we'd need to dedicate part of the navy to send resupply, instead of the convenience of Black Flight.

(Black Flight requires a waiver form signed. Please follow all Skyman-issued orders to the letter and without question. Skyports have designated areas for the issuing of wills and last testaments and other legal advice in case the worst occours.)
Half-Damned, All Hero.

Tev: You're happy. You're Plotting. You're Evil.
Me: Evil is so inappropriate. I'm ruthless.
Tev: You're turning me on.

I Am Rage. You Will Know My Fury.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

After some consideration, I lay claim to the rest of Australia. :smile:

But don't worry! This shall be my last territorial claim in the Pacific! :grin: :wink:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Havoc, you have 30 points to spend, not 31.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

It appears I mis-counted when I was allocating points. I'll adjust Standing Military Limit down from 3 to 2.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
KlavoHunter
Acolyte

Post by KlavoHunter »

Updated!

I took the rest of New Guinea and some of the islands in between. I have explicitly left Timor open for anyone who wants it.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Okay, few corrections/comments:

I should have Norway, Iceland, and whatever's left of Denmark. However, I shouldn't have Silesia unless our Germany player doesn't want it. The first province along the Baltic actually should be his too, the border there should curve a bit ala the OTL 1939 border.

In the east, we've drawn some borders that don't neatly follow the province borders on the map, however for the sake of sanity I'm okay with us using a different, more detailed map for the specific border. Something tells me it's going to likely change at some point or another during the course of the game anyway.

Colony wise, I'm going to claim Greenland, as Denmark technically owned it during this point in time. However, it was a completely uninhabited wasteland, and they didn't do much more than plant a flag on it, so if I've got to pay points for it I'm just going to say forget that.

I'd like the Maritime Provinces of Canada, except Labrador, as a rather well developed colony. I'm going to say the Swedes colonized it in the 17th century on tales of the old Norse colony of Vinland, however fantastical they might be.

I'd like a smallish chunk of India, I've gotta figure out where, and my Africa claims are still being pondered. Might grab a couple of Caribbean islands, not sure. I assume we've thus far got a Suez and no Panama canals.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Alright marking it down now.

A Polish Colonial Empire, the mind boggles.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I am going to tentatively throw my hat into the ring with the United States (what's left of it) with colonial holdings in Central America, including Panama. The reasons why should be abundantly clear.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Hotfoot wrote:I am going to tentatively throw my hat into the ring with the United States (what's left of it) with colonial holdings in Central America, including Panama. The reasons why should be abundantly clear.
That they should. You, me, and Zeke if he ever gets his ass online need to hammer things out for history. Though SLacker here just complicated things by claiming Acadia and Nova Scotia. :razz:
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Well, why doesn't the US grab the rest of Canada? Say they got it in the Revolutionary War and stayed in the Union when the South and you western hippies broke away.

Also explains how the Brits lost it in the first place-they couldn't resupply from New Stockholm, now could they? No Halifax as a secure base in *this* timeline.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Slacker wrote:Well, why doesn't the US grab the rest of Canada? Say they got it in the Revolutionary War and stayed in the Union when the South and you western hippies broke away.

Also explains how the Brits lost it in the first place-they couldn't resupply from New Stockholm, now could they? No Halifax as a secure base in *this* timeline.
I was intending on 1775 being the PoD in relation to North America. Schuyler doesn't get sick, Wooster never gets left in charge at Montreal, and most importantly, a pestilence saps the will and strength of Quebec City's garrison, permitting it to fall. Perhaps, heh, to Benedict Arnold's 600 starving riflemen who got there before Montgomery did by trekking through the New Hampshire wilderness.

Would be interesting if a butterfly means Hotfoot here would have a naval ship somewhere named the USS Benedict Arnold. A couple Arnold memorials, towns in the Midwest named after him, etc. :cool:
Last edited by Steve on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Let's give it a few days, Dark Silver is considering playing as a French Canadian power. If he decides not to play or to play another power, then go crazy, although I think the US is near a 5 in home turf as is?
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

frigidmagi wrote:Let's give it a few days, Dark Silver is considering playing as a French Canadian power. If he decides not to play or to play another power, then go crazy, although I think the US is near a 5 in home turf as is?
It's a 4 I believe. With Canada a 5. Though if Silver doesn't play as French Canada I intend to claim Saskatchewan for Pacifica.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Update for you Frigid. Cyncat and I hammered our borders out, and we determined that I will control both Macedonia and Slovenia. We're splitting Montenegro evenly, but it's so small on the map that it's probably not worth indicating.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Steve
Master

#93 An example of Springsharp

Post by Steve »

I've told some of you about this program, let me show you what you can make from it. I made this using, as a base, the historic Majestic-class pre-dreadnought battleship built by the Royal Navy in the 1890s, the first battleship to use Harvey Armor instead of older compound iron-steel arrangement. (Said Armor only remained in use for a few years, then it was superceded by the new Krupp armor).

Dauntless, Pacifican Battleship, laid down 1895

Displacement:
12,668 t light; 13,407 t standard; 15,101 t normal; 16,456 t full load

Dimensions: Length (overall / waterline) x beam x draught (normal/deep)
(445.00 ft / 430.00 ft) x 74.00 ft x (27.50 / 29.53 ft)
(135.64 m / 131.06 m) x 22.56 m x (8.38 / 9.00 m)

Armament:
4 - 12.00" / 305 mm 35.0 cal guns - 810.00lbs / 367.41kg shells, 150 per gun
Breech loading guns in turret on barbette mounts, 1895 Model
2 x Single mounts on centreline ends, evenly spread
12 - 6.00" / 152 mm 40.0 cal guns - 100.00lbs / 45.36kg shells, 150 per gun
Quick firing guns in casemate mounts, 1895 Model
12 x Single mounts on sides, evenly spread
16 - 3.00" / 76.2 mm 50.0 cal guns - 12.50lbs / 5.67kg shells, 150 per gun
Quick firing guns in deck mounts, 1895 Model
16 x Single mounts on sides, evenly spread
12 - 1.85" / 47.0 mm 45.0 cal guns - 3.19lbs / 1.45kg shells, 150 per gun
Quick firing guns in deck mounts, 1895 Model
6 x Twin mounts on sides, evenly spread
6 raised mounts
10 - 1.06" / 27.0 mm 40.0 cal guns - 0.58lbs / 0.26kg shells, 15,000 per gun
Machine guns in deck mounts, 1895 Model
8 x Single mounts on sides, evenly spread
4 raised mounts
2 x Single mounts on centreline, aft deck aft
Weight of broadside 4,684 lbs / 2,125 kg
Main Torpedoes
12 - 18.0" / 457 mm, 12.00 ft / 3.66 m torpedoes - 0.372 t each, 4.468 t total
submerged side tubes
2nd Torpedoes
6 - 18.0" / 457 mm, 12.00 ft / 3.66 m torpedoes - 0.372 t each, 2.234 t total
In 1 sets of deck mounted carriage/fixed tubes

Armour:
- Belts: Width (max) Length (avg) Height (avg)
Main: 10.0" / 254 mm 272.00 ft / 82.91 m 10.32 ft / 3.15 m
Ends: 7.00" / 178 mm 158.00 ft / 48.16 m 10.32 ft / 3.15 m
Upper: 6.00" / 152 mm 272.00 ft / 82.91 m 8.00 ft / 2.44 m
Main Belt covers 97 % of normal length

- Torpedo Bulkhead - Additional damage containing bulkheads:
2.00" / 51 mm 272.00 ft / 82.91 m 14.00 ft / 4.27 m
Beam between torpedo bulkheads 61.00 ft / 18.59 m

- Gun armour: Face (max) Other gunhouse (avg) Barbette/hoist (max)
Main: 10.0" / 254 mm - 14.0" / 356 mm
2nd: 6.00" / 152 mm - -

- Armoured deck - multiple decks:
For and Aft decks: 4.00" / 102 mm
Forecastle: 2.50" / 64 mm Quarter deck: 2.50" / 64 mm

- Conning towers: Forward 14.00" / 356 mm, Aft 3.00" / 76 mm

Machinery:
Coal fired boilers, complex reciprocating steam engines,
Direct drive, 2 shafts, 13,970 ihp / 10,422 Kw = 18.00 kts
Range 9,000nm at 10.00 kts
Bunker at max displacement = 3,048 tons (100% coal)

Complement:
680 - 885

Cost:
£1.078 million / $4.311 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 807 tons, 5.3 %
- Guns: 795 tons, 5.3 %
- Weapons: 12 tons, 0.1 %
Armour: 5,335 tons, 35.3 %
- Belts: 2,261 tons, 15.0 %
- Torpedo bulkhead: 282 tons, 1.9 %
- Armament: 948 tons, 6.3 %
- Armour Deck: 1,621 tons, 10.7 %
- Conning Towers: 224 tons, 1.5 %
Machinery: 2,368 tons, 15.7 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 4,158 tons, 27.5 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 2,433 tons, 16.1 %
Miscellaneous weights: 0 tons, 0.0 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
22,122 lbs / 10,034 Kg = 25.6 x 12.0 " / 305 mm shells or 12.4 torpedoes
Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1.39
Metacentric height 5.7 ft / 1.7 m
Roll period: 13.0 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 75 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0.41
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 1.87

Hull form characteristics:
Hull has a flush deck,
a ram bow and a cruiser stern
Block coefficient (normal/deep): 0.604 / 0.613
Length to Beam Ratio: 5.81 : 1
'Natural speed' for length: 20.74 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 45 %
Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 40
Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): -15.00 degrees
Stern overhang: 7.00 ft / 2.13 m
Freeboard (% = length of deck as a percentage of waterline length):
Fore end, Aft end
- Forecastle: 20.00 %, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m
- Forward deck: 30.00 %, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m
- Aft deck: 35.00 %, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m
- Quarter deck: 15.00 %, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m, 18.00 ft / 5.49 m
- Average freeboard: 18.00 ft / 5.49 m
Ship tends to be wet forward

Ship space, strength and comments:
Space - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 87.8 %
- Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 117.2 %
Waterplane Area: 23,360 Square feet or 2,170 Square metres
Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 117 %
Structure weight / hull surface area: 132 lbs/sq ft or 643 Kg/sq metre
Hull strength (Relative):
- Cross-sectional: 0.91
- Longitudinal: 2.29
- Overall: 1.00
Adequate machinery, storage, compartmentation space
Adequate accommodation and workspace room
Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Excellent seaboat, comfortable, can fire her guns in the heaviest weather
Last edited by Steve on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

I'll also note that the line between Battleship and Armored Cruiser was very thin, mostly a mechanic of A) how much armor belt there was or B) if the main guns exceeded 10" caliber. The famous battleship Maine of "Remember the Maine!" infamy, for instance, was built not as a battleship but as an armored cruiser, but she ended up too slow to actually be a cruiser, while not well-armed enough to fight battleships, thus she was considered a "second class battleship".
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Tentative claim on France and some of the Middle East; which parts exactly I'll work out with Frigid.

[edit] Also, Morocco, some of Sudan, and large coastal swaths of Brazil. Map sent to Frigid.
Last edited by The Cleric on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Sunhawk
Acolyte

Post by Sunhawk »

I'll throw my hat into the ring for Madagascar, Mauritius, the Seychelles and the other Indian Ocean small islands. Writing up the background and points right now.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Vasan Commonwealth Colony Claims:

India:
Kerala, Mysore, and Pondicherry regions-essentially, the 'southern tip' of the sub-continent, organized as the Crown Commonwealth of India. The Commonwealth's major traditional colony, efficently administered by the Commonwealth Ministry of Colonies with significant native contributions. There is a growing movement to give the colony a say in the federal government.

The Americas:
Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, and New Brunswick, organized as the Crown Commonwealth of Vinland. Gustavus Adolphus had the occasional flight of whimsy in his old age in this TL. At this point a fully functional province of the Commonwealth, with representation in the Sejm. Home to approximately 400,000.

The Falklands: Settled as a whaling colony in the 19th century; while the demand for whale products has declined, the settlement retains some economic value.

Iceland/Greenland: Greenland is uninhabited other than the occasional whaler; Iceland, however, is home to a respectable colony devoted to fishing, whaling, and farming.

Middle East:
The Crown Port of Aden; Seized for the India trade, it has become even more strategically important with the opening of the Suez Canal. Consists of the port of Aden and the surrounding territory of the Sultanate of Fadhli

Africa:
The Crown Colony of Gambia; once essential for the India trade, with the opening of the Suez Canal the importance of the Gambia colony has decreased dramatically and is now viewed as a relative backwater.

The Crown Colony of Christiana (OTL Sierra Leone/Liberia) Settled to grow smuggled rubber plants, a growing concern for the Commonwealth in this industrial age.

The Crown Port of Zanzibar; annexed to support the India trade, it hasn't seen the same decline of importance as Gambia as the port supports a lively trade up and down the African coastline.

Pacific:
The Crown Colony of Tahiti: Settled as a coaling station, home Commonwealth whaling and fishing concerns as well as a small naval presence.

-----

Poweigan fisherman and whalers are a stereotype in this ATL. ALL YOUR SALT COD AND BLUBBER ARE BELONGING TO US!
Last edited by Slacker on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Middle East:
The Crown Port of Aden; Seized for the India trade, it has become even more strategically important with the opening of the Suez Canal. Consists of the port of Aden and the surrounding territory of the Sultanate of Fadhli
That is actually being claimed by the france player. map has been submitted to frigid.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Caught it, all good with me.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

All these land claims being made are making me feel nervous about the size of my territory. Suddenly it's like I don't have anywhere near enough.
Last edited by Hadrianvs on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.