STGOD?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

1930 eh... all right... I need new Consuls then:

(This is mostly for my own edification for the present).

Status and extent of the Roman Empire, A.U.C. MMDCLXXXIII, the Year of the Consulships of Ivanus Bonomius Mediator, and Mustaphus Cemal Paterturcii

Senatorial Provinces of the Roman Empire, with Administrative Capitals:

Italia, Rome
Venitia, Venice
Noricum, Luganum
Carantania, Labacum
Achaeia, Athens
Epirus, Theranda
Macedonia, Thessalonica
Thessaly, Larissa
Insulae Aegeum, Candia
Thrace, Serdica
Byzantium, Constantinopolis
Lydia, Smyrna
Phrygia, Acroenus
Pontus, Sinope
Turcia, Ancyra
Cilicia et Cyprus, Zephyrium
Phoenicia, Berytus
Sicily, Syracuse
Corsica et Sardinia, Caralis
Gallia Transalpina, Massalia
Aragonia, Caesaraugusta
Catalonia, Barcelona
Tarraconensis, Cartago Nova
Insulae Baleares, Palma
Africa, Carthage
Cyrenaica, Hesperides
Numidia, Icosium

Imperial Provinces of the Roman Empire, with Administrative Capitals:

Syria, Antioch
Palestinia, Jaffa
Aegyptus Inferior, Alexandria
Aegyptus Superior, Thebes
Tripolitania, Tripolis
Mauretania, Oran
Hispania Ulterior, Calpe
Insulae Canariae, Nivaria
Insulae Accipitrinae, Ponte Delgada
Antillia Major, Havana
Antillia Minor, Urbs Consularum
Last edited by General Havoc on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I have only very basic image manipulation software available to me, but I managed to put this map together in MS Paint. I couldn't find a way to add words to it, but it shows the Mediterranean provinces of the Roman Empire. Light Grey provinces are Senatorial, Dark Grey are Imperial. The darker dots inside each province represent the location of that province's administrative capital.

Ezekiel
Acolyte

Post by Ezekiel »

If you only own eastern Spain, what's happened to the rest of it?
tiny friendly crab.
also known as Czechmate.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

In brief, (and thanks to Hadrianvs for this suggestion), back in the days of the unification of Spain, Castille merged not with Aragon, but with Portugal. For political reasons, this union led to Aragon turning to Rome for protection against newly unified Spain, and quite a few wars here and there. "Spain" today is what we would call Portugal plus the remainder of Iberia, and is not terribly friendly towards Rome.

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

I'm taking a minute to declare Europe closed to new entries. Existing players can expand claims there if they like of course but as there are already 6 bloody players clustered on the damn continent (yes Hadri I'm counting you), new players can go find less crowded playgrounds like North America or Asia.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Alright, I'm going to be spending some time catching back up, but here is the claim for Imperio del Sol de Oro (ISO) - The Empire of the Golden Sun.

Shortly after the United States Civil War, the Confederacy successfully seceded from the Union. Less than a year later, the Confederacy became engaged in a bitter war against Mexico, the result of which tore apart the Confederacy, and paved the way for the Empire of the Golden Sun to gain prominence.

Territories include: Mexico, the former US states of Texas, New Mexico. Client territories include the former US states of Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi, and the former Central American countries of Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, and El Salvador.

Oklahoma is currently an Indian protectorate, and remains so under the auspice of the ISO. The former states of Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi are now the single territory Nimbo de Sol de Oro - the Nimbus of the Golden Sun.
Last edited by rhoenix on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I helped Rhoenix... Windswept map out the Empire. I know it's unlikely but it was I felt a good compromise.

I take this moment to dub the Empire of the Sun, Nightmare Mexico. Mexico will eat you!!!!
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

frigidmagi wrote:I helped Rhoenix... Windswept map out the Empire. I know it's unlikely but it was I felt a good compromise.

I take this moment to dub the Empire of the Sun, Nightmare Mexico. Mexico will eat you!!!!
Habeneros don't burn us. We burn the habeneros.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Yet another damn map

Note that it is likely Hotfoot will grab some of Canada. If he does I will likely declare North America closed. Anyone with a buddy who might be interested in this, should grab him now.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

Hmmm... I am seeing an angry looking empty space on the map where germany should be. Would it be overly difficult to grant me that unclaimed section of Colombia? Just for the sake of having that entire area covered.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I don't see why not.
Lonestar
Acolyte

Post by Lonestar »

So, uh....maybe I can have Chile-Argentina?
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worth while, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy!" -J.F.K.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

While we're at it, give me Montana and Wyoming. :cool: :wink:
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

LoneStar the welcome wrote:So, uh....maybe I can have Chile-Argentina?

YES!

Steve the greedy wrote:While we're at it, give me Montana and Wyoming. Cool Wink
NO!
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

If Canada doesn't gain a player, I'll grab a bit more of it to pad out the Crown Commonwealth of Vinland.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

On a more serious note Lonestar, while if you want to be hanging out in South America it's cool and you're welcome to do it, but I would like you to consider Asia. As it stands you would be alone expect for some colonies and NPCs. In Asia there are players to interact with and space in China, or the Middle East/Iran.

But it is up to you.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

Academia, we should have a chat at some point over India and the situation on the subcontinent. I figure your Mughals aren't crazy on the vastly Hindu population of Vasan India, and we're quite content with running our little stretch of the subcontinent.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Actually, there's a huge number of Hindus all across India so the IRL Mughal Empire was at its most successful when it incorporated them in. Thus my guys have no problems with Hindus despite being Muslims. I'm guessing that its the Vasans who have a problem with the Mughals and turned to Europeans for protection. We still want the last scrap of the subcontinent though. Oh yes we do.

Just giving you fair warning that you're going to have to figure out a way to keep my Empire distracted with other problems as we will jump on your colony at the first available opportunity.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

If it was me, Slacker I would recruit a buddy to play Iran... Just saying. :wink:
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Academia Nut wrote:Actually, there's a huge number of Hindus all across India so the IRL Mughal Empire was at its most successful when it incorporated them in. Thus my guys have no problems with Hindus despite being Muslims. I'm guessing that its the Vasans who have a problem with the Mughals and turned to Europeans for protection. We still want the last scrap of the subcontinent though. Oh yes we do.

Just giving you fair warning that you're going to have to figure out a way to keep my Empire distracted with other problems as we will jump on your colony at the first available opportunity.
*cough*

The Vasans are the Europeans. :razz:
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

This is what I get for just going along with things instead of at least firing up Google. That's the trouble with AH, sometimes you forget what's original and what's made up. Whatever.

But yes, I figure that the locals would have had to have put up a massive resistance to Mughal rule and enlisted support from any place they could to keep their neighbours to the north from overrunning them.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

That could make sense-we wound up with our 'empire' rather accidentally, the trading posts wound up being the springboard for holding southern India.

What sort of timeframe are you thinking here? 1830s?
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Assuming no other interference, my initial point of divergence is ~1658 when instead of Aurangzeb seizing the throne and beginning the slow running of the empire into the ground by being a dick, his elder brother Dara Shikoh instead wins out and thus never does stuff like reinstitute the jizya (tax on non-Muslims), continue to rile up the Sikhs into a militaristic order who hate the Mughals to the core, and other fun stuff like that. I still plan to have the rise of the Maratha Empire, but with further reforms instituted by Dara and his descendents, the Mughals won't start splintering at the beginning of the 18th century like IRL so they won't be able to take the same advantage. However, I'm also figuring that there will be pressure from the east in the form of fellow Muslims getting irked at the accomodating attitude of the Padshahs towards non-Muslims, triggering something of a westward expansion as the empire starts bringing in other states to aid them in fighting off the Persians, leading to an eventual drift towards the west and into the rich kingdoms there. I think with different rulers and different priorities the southern sections of the subcontinent could be put off until the mid to late 18th century, with forces being bolstered by Marathans getting pummelled in the north migrating south, but you're probably going to need to have forces in play by probably at the very latest the 1780s to not have the area you claimed gobbled up by the end of the century.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

That's fine-I've kept my colonial history intentionally extremely vague, and at any point after probably the 1660s the Vasan Commonwealth would have the strength to begin serious colonial ventures-the combination of a longer living Gustavus Adolphus at the head of state, welding together the two halves, coupled with heading off the Cossack Revolt and no Deluge means they've got economic muscle to spare. I figure it started as trading ports and sort of evolved from there.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

I'm also figuring that there will be pressure from the east in the form of fellow Muslims getting irked at the accomodating attitude of the Padshahs towards non-Muslims, triggering something of a westward expansion as the empire starts bringing in other states to aid them in fighting off the Persians, leading to an eventual drift towards the west and into the rich kingdoms there.
Not much of a drift, the Mughals held the important parts of Afghanistan to begin with, as well as the whole of the Punjab. The only difference in the western border between your Mughals and the historical ones is that you have the north part of Afghanistan instead of just the south. Here's a useful map.

Though if you want to have at some point in the past held a greater chunk of Central Asia, I'd be happy to oblige. Catherine II needs to kick somebody's ass in order to be "the Great". Originally I was just going to invent a random Mongol Khanate armed with Western musket and cannon, but if you'll turn around and bend over that works too.

As a bonus, since this happened like 250 years in the past, our respective nations don't need to have bitter feelings about it.