STGOD?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Post by Comrade Tortoise »

The Cleric wrote:I don't see why not. I'm trying to find a way around the French Revolution though; or at least a way through the mess at the end of it.

@ Havoc. How does the existence of your empire effect Catholicism?
I can help you with that. The way I have set up germany allows them to interfere and stabilize france. It will take one MASSIVE battle between the german army and the french revolutionaries... one that forces them to sit down, stop executing people, and hash out a sane government.

After all, they did just execute relatives of half the german Bundestag. It would probably entail that the remaining nobility keep a degree of power. Perhaps a bicameral legislature where they elect a PM from their ranks.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

The Holocaust was an Amazing Logistical Achievement~Havoc
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

he way I have set up germany allows them to interfere and stabilize france. It will take one MASSIVE battle between the german army and the french revolutionaries... one that forces them to sit down, stop executing people, and hash out a sane government.
Or flips them out, has them set up a mass army and attempt to fight off the Germans and spread the revolution to all of Europe...
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Sending a military intervention into Revolutionary France is not changing history, it's repeating it exactly. The Great Powers of Europe did try to restore the French Monarchy by force of arms, they were not only fought off, but the Revolutionary Armies wound up expanding France's territory. At the turn of the 19th century, France was the big fucking gorilla of Europe, and it showed.
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

So we can have a nasty loss after a string of victories that's expanded France a bit forces a halt and hold on what they currently have. A more sane and rational leader gets ahold of the reins and creates something more stable faster than what actually happened. Does that make enough sense?

And I don't want the Pope; I was just wondering how religion has been influenced by the large Roman empire still existing.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

And I don't want the Pope; I was just wondering how religion has been influenced by the large Roman empire still existing.
Off to Mexico he goes then, unless someone else wants to claim him?

Yo Sweeps you're up! Get Your Pope Hat On!
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

frigidmagi wrote:Off to Mexico he goes then, unless someone else wants to claim him?

Yo Sweeps you're up! Get Your Pope Hat On!
YES!

I'm going to have to work the Pope's flight from Rome and subsequent settling in Mexico into a good story, since it would be told that way. Oh man, this is awesome.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

Hadrianvs wrote:Sending a military intervention into Revolutionary France is not changing history, it's repeating it exactly. The Great Powers of Europe did try to restore the French Monarchy by force of arms, they were not only fought off, but the Revolutionary Armies wound up expanding France's territory. At the turn of the 19th century, France was the big fucking gorilla of Europe, and it showed.
We are already raping history here ;)
So we can have a nasty loss after a string of victories that's expanded France a bit forces a halt and hold on what they currently have. A more sane and rational leader gets ahold of the reins and creates something more stable faster than what actually happened. Does that make enough sense?
That would explain how you have Belgium. German armies would have intervened to stop you taking Alsace and Lorraine, as well as the Rheinland.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

There is no word harsh enough for this. No verbal edge sharp and cold enough to set forth the flaying needed. English is to young and the elder languages of the earth beyond me. ~Frigid

Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Is there any particular reason why we can't have Europe go apeshit with war for two decades like it did historically? I mean, the Napoleonic Wars were kind of a big thing, it seems like a shame to not keep them. Obviously this time they'll have a different name, since Napoleon is Roman. Maybe something like, "the wars of revolution" or whatever.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

That's up to the European players, but I could see a series of wars trying to kill off the French Revolution.

Say

Phase I: Internal French Revolution.
Phase II: German Intervention
Phase III: French expansion
Phase IV: Rome, Spain and England intervene
Phase V: French/German Alliance verus Rome and England
Phase VI: Vasa and Hungary intervene.

But again that's up to our Euro Five there although any Russian intervention must of course be cleared with Hadri.
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

I'm cool with that.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

I'm down with a big nasty brawl. Maybe if the Russians want no part of things the Vasans can take the role of the Russians in the peace-the guys who supplied the bayonets and bullets to finally put an end to it, maybe in conjunction with Hungary.

Speaking of, I need to chat with our Hungary player, we've gotta figure stuff out.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Slacker wrote:I'm down with a big nasty brawl. Maybe if the Russians want no part of things the Vasans can take the role of the Russians in the peace-the guys who supplied the bayonets and bullets to finally put an end to it, maybe in conjunction with Hungary.
Of course I want a part on things! Why else would I be pushing for there being a massive European War in the early 19th century? It would be interesting if that was one of the few wars were the Russians and the Vasans were not at each other's throats. Though likely sides changed more than once during the conflict, we are after all talking about two decades of war.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Rome was engaged in a bitter series of wars leading up to and into the period of the French Revolution, including two separate wars with Spain, one with France and Germany, and a very ugly civil war in the late 1700s along with a slightly less ugly one in the early 1800s. Any of those could be integrated into larger continent-wide wars.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Comrade Tortoise
Exemplar

The Cleric wrote:I'm cool with that.
As can I. It would just mean after the germans keep them from taking the Rheinland (So as to preclude germany joining and anti-france dogpile) that france would try expanding into spain, roman territory etc. Them invading rome is at that time in germany's best interests so we would naturally ally with our old friend against old foe.
Last edited by Comrade Tortoise on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Theodosius Dobzhansky

Silence
Acolyte

Post by Silence »

I'm putting in a claim for Great Britain, long may she rule the waves! Details to come when I suss out rules and such.
Screwball
Acolyte

Post by Screwball »

So, I put this in the other thread, because I'm a blind, easily confused idiot, but I'd like to join as a Chinese nation in Manchuria and/or around the Yellow Sea. Lots of air stuff, Ace Combat for the 1930s style, minus the wacky superweapons, obviously.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

Screwball wrote:So, I put this in the other thread, because I'm a blind, easily confused idiot, but I'd like to join as a Chinese nation in Manchuria and/or around the Yellow Sea. Lots of air stuff, Ace Combat for the 1930s style, minus the wacky superweapons, obviously.
Manchuria is currently claimed by both Japan and Russia. It's uncoloured because nobody thought to suggest it burgundy and yellow stripes or something.

The whole rest of China is free, though.
Screwball
Acolyte

Post by Screwball »

Fair enough. That gives me a national objective, then; Imperialist Devils out! China for the Chinese! :grin:
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I agree! China for the Taiping!

That said the up to date rules system is on page 1 of the rules thread, first post. Please PM me swiftly with your claims.

Silence, I am expecting colonies, Hotfoot has agreed to back off his claims in Canada to allow you Ontario and Qubec, while Steve will be willing to hand over Saskatchewan at your request. Parts of South America, Africa, and the Middle east are open.

Screwball, I am assuming you're interested in Northern Coastal China, let me know how far inland you want to be.
Last edited by frigidmagi on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

I'll pull out of Labrador if he wants the complete region for Canada, although I'd prefer to maintain my holdings in the Maritimes.
Screwball
Acolyte

Post by Screwball »

Quick question; under the 'Industry' category, where it says 'must have X in the above fields,' is that just in population, territory and colonies, or does it also include economy and infrastructure? I presume it's the latter, since some of the levels reference minimum infrastructure requirements, but that could be an 'in addition you also need this' thing.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

I believe it works as such: all four scores (pop, territory, infra, and econ) must reach a certain combined total for that industry level, additionally certain scores must be at a minimal level as well. (Like all four add up to 12 for something, but Pop and Econ must be 2 apiece to meet all prerequisites.)
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Screwball
Acolyte

Post by Screwball »

I believe it works as such: all four scores (pop, territory, infra, and econ) must reach a certain combined total for that industry level, additionally certain scores must be at a minimal level as well. (Like all four add up to 12 for something, but Pop and Econ must be 2 apiece to meet all prerequisites.)
Thanks. Armed with this information I have created a draft version of the mighty Qing Empire:

Qing China

Population: 4

Territory: 3

Industry: 4

Economy: 3

Infrastructure: 3

Standing Military Limit: 3

Naval Focus: 2

Army Focus: 5

Air Focus: 5 (3+2)
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

Army AND Air Focus of Five?

I think this should indicate to what extent colonies need to be reworked. Taking colonies seems to more or less guarantee that you cannot compete with countries that do not.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

As it stands Colonies give boosts to Econ and Pop, which would help one get a higher Industry, which in turn gives a + bonus to a Focus of your choice.

Though maybe something like having Colonies give boost to Naval Focus as well would help?
Last edited by Steve on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina