Anyone Interested in Rogue Trader?

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Okay, Someshta, you're good to go. If I don't like you I can always space you. :razz: If your fellow players don't take care of business first. :wink:
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

So, will there be dire consequences for people being inappropriately attired? :grin:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

fgalkin wrote:So, will there be dire consequences for people being inappropriately attired? :grin:
Why don't you dress inappropriately and find out? :razz:
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Well, my concern is for all those poor souls showing up to the party armed to the teeth and in combat armor. :grin:

My next post is ready, and I'll be posting right after Hotfoot does.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

I seem to have misplaced my Mess Dress but I figure it wouldn't be out of place to see the upper tier of a Rogue Trader crew walking around with sword and sidearm in armour.

Hell if I lived in that universe, I would probably shower with a pistol.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I seem to have misplaced my Mess Dress but I figure it wouldn't be out of place to see the upper tier of a Rogue Trader crew walking around with sword and sidearm in armour.
Fine clothing is common and thus your character is assumed to own a respectable wardrobe. Same deal with the mundane items of daily existence.
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I seem to have misplaced my Mess Dress but I figure it wouldn't be out of place to see the upper tier of a Rogue Trader crew walking around with sword and sidearm in armour.

Hell if I lived in that universe, I would probably shower with a pistol.
Yeah, but you're going to meet with the captain. I'm not sure how the old man will take his beloved nephew showing up with his men armed for combat. Might give him the wrong idea, you know? :wink:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

On the subject of dressing for the occasion, I would like to throw my hat into the ring with a character i hope will meet with approval. Jakuri Karakan is intended to be the 'useless relative' who turns out to actually be worth a damn. Like her very distant cousin, she's Noble Born and a Rogue trader, but she's got a different focus. More ranged combat and nose in a book than in your face and drinking you under the table.

Noble Born
Child of the creed (Unshakeable faith
Zealot (Unnerving clarity-Insanity)
High Vendetta (Blood will have Blood-Paranoia)
Renown (Peer: Adeptus Mechanicus)

Wounds:

Fate points:

Characteristics (point buy)

Weapon Skill 32 (25+10-3)
Ballistic Skill 41 (25+16)
Strength 30 (25+5)
Toughness 40 (25+15)
Agility 40 (25+15)
Intelligence 40 (25+15)
Perception 30 (25+5)
Willpower 35 (20+7+3+5)
Fellowship 55 (30+17+3+5) 100 XP

Air of Authority
Brook No Insult
Etiquette
Melee weapon training (universal)
Paranoia
Peer: Nobility, Adeptus Mechanicus, Mercantile
Pistol weapon training (Universal)
Vendetta (Rivals inside the dynasty?)
Unshakable faith

Awareness (100xp)
Command
Commerce
Charm
Ciphers (Rogue Trader) (100xp)
Common Lore (Imperium)
Evaluate
Inquiry
Literacy
Scholastic lore (Astromancy)
Secret Tongue (Rogue trader) 100xp
Speak Language (High Gothic, Low gothic, Trader's cant) (100xp)

Possessions: Best-quality laspistol, common Moridan Power sword, micro-bead, void suit, set of fine clothing, Xeno-pelt cloak, Best quality stormtrooper carapace, Shifting fabric dress(very rare), Overcharge pack, pict recorder, data slate, injector.
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Camp Fuck You Die. Applying here is the most stressful thing in the universe.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

In case it was unclear the previous two times Vehrec, this character is not approved. Team Awesome and his hanger oners get dinner invitations and great opportunities. Team Fail does not.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Well to be honest, no it was not clear. And I see no members of Team Fail here. :razz: I mean, I put "useless relative" in quotes, I'm not sure how much more explicit I could get with 'this is an unfounded opinion of people who have never met this character that has no basis in fact.' Except, you know, for stating it outright.

If it's the fact that a second rogue trader is undesirable, I can try throwing together an Explorator.
Summer camp, summer camp!/The donuts that they give you/they say are mighty fine/but one rolled off a table/and AHH FUCK WHY ARE THERE ZOMBIES IN THE CANOE CABIN
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I told you twice the "useless" Rogue Trader wouldn't fly. If the crew thinks you're useless, you're a compromised as a leader and are part of Team Fail. If the captain thinks you're useless, you're not going to get the big opportunity and are part of Team Fail.

For the fourth time, he's not approved.
Soontir948
Disciple

Post by Soontir948 »

So are you three just going to stick with the RT game here?
Karrick
Initiate

Post by Karrick »

fgalkin wrote: Yeah, but you're going to meet with the captain. I'm not sure how the old man will take his beloved nephew showing up with his men armed for combat. Might give him the wrong idea, you know? :wink:
Holy crap, I hadn't even thought of that. :oops: I was and still am in the 'weapons as customary' crowd. I also think it's in his nature to always be packing heat (literally, I suppose, with a melta-pistol). Valther happens to not have anything that really qualifies as ceremonial, like a sword, either. He would of course turn any weapons over to security, should the question be asked.
Cynical Cat wrote:Fine clothing is common and thus your character is assumed to own a respectable wardrobe. Same deal with the mundane items of daily existence.
And here I was thinking I'd be stuck with two sets of robes for casual and formal wear. On that note, should I be making a concealment or sleight of hand check for making sure my kit is concealed?
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Cynical Cat wrote:I told you twice the "useless" Rogue Trader wouldn't fly. If the crew thinks you're useless, you're a compromised as a leader and are part of Team Fail. If the captain thinks you're useless, you're not going to get the big opportunity and are part of Team Fail.

For the fourth time, he's not approved.
Not to mention that the character makes no sense. Peer Adeptus Mechanicus? "Nose in a Book" and 55 Fel?
Karrick wrote:
And here I was thinking I'd be stuck with two sets of robes for casual and formal wear. On that note, should I be making a concealment or sleight of hand check for making sure my kit is concealed?
That is why I put in "several sets of clothing" in the character description, and fill in the details as the need arises.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Karrick wrote:
Holy crap, I hadn't even thought of that.
If you're going to a dinner with a high official and what impression you create with the official is not one of your top priorities, you belong on Team Fail.
If you're carrying them concealed, be clear about that. Rogue Trader society, like many parts of Imperial High Society, has martial traditions and affectations.
Last edited by Cynical Cat on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karrick
Initiate

Post by Karrick »

Cynical Cat wrote:If you're going to a dinner with a high official and what impression you create with the official is not one of your top priorities, you belong on Team Fail.
I suppose I should clarify that. I didn't think going armed would be something worth noting at a formal dinner in most of Imperial society, precisely because of the martial traditions you mentioned. My impression of 40k in general is that it's safe to assume everyone around you is armed, even if they don't look it. This applies double for nobility and their associates. Sort of a Dune-esque assassin war mentality.
Cpl Kendall
Disciple

Post by Cpl Kendall »

Well Steel will go back and change, or throw on a coat.
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Karrick wrote:
Cynical Cat wrote:If you're going to a dinner with a high official and what impression you create with the official is not one of your top priorities, you belong on Team Fail.
I suppose I should clarify that. I didn't think going armed would be something worth noting at a formal dinner in most of Imperial society, precisely because of the martial traditions you mentioned. My impression of 40k in general is that it's safe to assume everyone around you is armed, even if they don't look it. This applies double for nobility and their associates. Sort of a Dune-esque assassin war mentality.
Yeah, but there is a distinction between being armed and being heavily armed- one is for self-defense, the other is not.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Well then, going for Explorator this time. And Screw point buy and build optimization, let's roll this sucker! First thing's first, origin path.

Hive World
Scapegrace +3 int, +1d5 corruption
Renegade, Free Thinker +3 int, -3 will, Enemy (Ecclisarchy)
Ship-Lorn (Survival)
Pride (+3 toughness)

And then for my rolls, done in order for maximum crazy shit:
WS BS S T Ag Int Pr Wil Fel

And One Re-roll. Which I can't tell you definitely where it's going at the moment, but it will probably either bulk up a low WS or Int.

And then we have Wounds Fate points: and Corruption.

I'll do a response to this where I assign that re-roll.
Vehrec
Apprentice

Post by Vehrec »

Vehrec wrote: And then for my rolls, done in order for maximum crazy shit:
WS BS T Pr Wil
FFFFFFFFFF-I am happy with none of these. This is gonna be tough.
And One Re-roll. Which I can't tell you definitely where it's going at the moment, but it will probably either bulk up a low WS or Int.
I was wrong. That sucker is going into BS, because a four anywhere is just terrible. Seriously, what was I thinking ever doubting that I would put the reroll into anything BUT the four?

On the other hand, this guy is gonna be one hell of a suave and handsome tech-priest. Unless that also counts as being on Team Fail. :roll:
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

The general rule is pistols, swords, and concealed weapons are generally okay, but basic or bigger is frowned upon, as would grenades and most explosives.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

By the way, I'm not sure why our astropath has secret language rogue trader, since we haven't got our own ship yet and such.
fgalkin
Initiate

Post by fgalkin »

Maybe he knows your uncle's secret language?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Which means he won't know our secret language when we make it.
White Haven
Disciple

Post by White Haven »

I hadn't considered that aspect regarding the secret tongue. Can I regress that 100 exp until we've got a language to learn?
ImageImageChronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring rhoenix
-'I need to hit the can, but if you wouldn't mind joining me for number two, I'd be grateful.'