STGOD! OOC Thread.

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

The protection of diplomats has evolved over the years. Not all cultures held them quite as sacrosanct - even as Europe by custom began to respect them the Ottomans would imprison them if their nations were at war, apparently - but at the very least it was not considered proper to harm those engaged as diplomats but simply to give them passage via neutral countries. One of the reasons the Congress of Vienna codified these protections is probably because the Revolutionary French and Napoleon did sometimes imprison the diplomats of other countries accused of working against the government.

The ones to worry about are those who aren't diplomats, since they're more likely to be treated as enemy aliens, interned, left in prisons or camps until either exchanged for the other country's citizens in a similar circumstance or until peace is made.
Chatniks on the (nonexistant) risks of the Large Hadron Collector:
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

I admit the naval geek in me ponders what size guns a larger anti-capital upgrade gives you. I was contemplating 16"/45 as "average", no capital upgrade nor an anti-ship penalty for another upgrade, one upgrade being 17" up to below 18", and two being 18" or up (historically the only gun tested above 18.1" was Japan's 18.9" monster in WWI, only test-fired, though of course Hitler had a hard-on for the idea of a 20" gun and even the US contemplated, from an analysis perspective, a 64,000+ ton ship carrying 8 20" guns). But given the cost of the upgrades and the relative performance difference between guns of 16" to 18" caliber I'm not sure anymore.

Anyway, edited my last post to remove the quantification of Marcao's battleship armament. I'm sticking with the idea of a 17"/50 gun on my upgraded ships for the moment, it's only one Anti-Capital upgrade.

Also, any reason we're all making Japan bastards? Do we have to go the route of evil fascist Emperor-worshiping Japan brutally suppressing innocent people and killing for fun?
Last edited by Steve on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The chance of Shep talking his way into the control room for an ICBM is probably higher than that." - Seth
"Come on, who wouldn't trade a few dozen square miles of French countryside for Warp 3.5?" - Marina
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Also, any reason we're all making Japan bastards?
Because it's in character for them since their first invasion of Korea and that history hasn't changed? Not to mention they're in a neighborhood with a number of militant hardcore neighbors? Face it Steve, without radical changes in how Japanese society developed they going to become racist conquering assholes. Just like the Europeans. The best you could do is fiddle with the Meiji Restoration perhaps and create a Racist Militant Democracy of Conqearing Assholes... Just like a good number of the Europeans.
Do we have to go the route of evil fascist Emperor-worshiping Japan brutally suppressing innocent people and killing for fun?
Yes. If it bothers you so much, next time you play Japan.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

frigidmagi wrote: Because it's in character for them since their first invasion of Korea and that history hasn't changed? Not to mention they're in a neighborhood with a number of militant hardcore neighbors? Face it Steve, without radical changes in how Japanese society developed they going to become racist conquering assholes. Just like the Europeans. The best you could do is fiddle with the Meiji Restoration perhaps and create a Racist Militant Democracy of Conqearing Assholes... Just like a good number of the Europeans.
Eh. I was just wondering, and contemplating what it'd be like to turn down the Racist Militant Asshole dial, not off but just down.
Yes. If it bothers you so much, next time you play Japan.
Nah, just feels... overused? Granted, it's historical, but doing things differently can be fun. Look at me; I usually play Republics, trying my hand at a monarchy this time.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Eh. I was just wondering, and contemplating what it'd be like to turn down the Racist Militant Asshole dial, not off but just down.
Bah, I say, Bah! This is STGOD, this game is about fighting and empire building not getting along. Besides, most of your fellow players have already done that. No offense intended to anyone but most of you are playing extremely liberal nations compared to OTL. I think the most autocratic states are Hardi's Russia, Lonestar's La Plata and my own Taiping. Which reminds me that I need to show some dark underbelly soon. *glares at Windswept for running off to play a bloody republic when he could have been an empire!*

no one should take the above to seriously
Nah, just feels... overused? Granted, it's historical, but doing things differently can be fun.
Expect this is what the players mostly want, so this is fun. :razz:
Look at me; I usually play Republics, trying my hand at a monarchy this time.
Huh... No offense Steve, but so far Pacifica doesn't seem all that wildly different from any of your Casicadias. Sure you have a nice fluffly king, who doesn't seem to wield that much authority but well... You got the same guy with the same family in charge and you're playing the uber nice guy power devoted to diplomacy and rule of law. Not to offend you Steve but from my point of view all you've done is change the window dressing. If that's what you want to play by all means go nuts. You play it well and write with a good amount of skill.

That said, our Japan is a militant Empire of nastiness and that's how we like it. If Zeke had been in the driver seat's Japan would have been what he said it was but he's not.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

frigidmagi wrote:*glares at Windswept for running off to play a bloody republic when he could have been an empire!*
I know, I know. As much fun as running it like Kim Jong Il's second coming would've been (complete with waterslides on the emperor's palace, and all hot female guards), it would've just gotten repetitive. Honestly, playing it like a liberal republic at first presents much more opportunity for funny.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

We all write to our strengths I guess.

I did intend for the system to have a flaw from the way things are set up, namely the established fact that as rational as the King can get, he really can't bring himself to disagree with his Queen, who is quite good at appealing to his romantic side (and I mean romantic in the broader sense, the ideals of being the "Christian ruler" and such) as was seen over the rather dangerous offer to mediate the US-Mexican brouhaha.

As for being progressive, well, part of that is more "keep private things private" than any widespread social acceptance. For instance, trying to get a Gay Rights Act passed in Parliament would get you laughed out of chambers. The only reason Danielle and Amber sit in the House of Lords is because they're of the Californian peerage which is informed partially by Spanish as well as English tradition, and the Spanish did led female title-holders sit in the Cortes (or so I've heard); the other three Kingdoms' peerages adhere to the English and Scots tradition which is male only, though some alteration may happen in the future. (Historically women didn't get to sit on the House of Lords until 1958 with the establishment of the "life peerages"; hereditary peeresses didn't get to hold seats until 1964).
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

frigidmagi wrote:
Bah, I say, Bah! This is STGOD, this game is about fighting and empire building not getting along. Besides, most of your fellow players have already done that. No offense intended to anyone but most of you are playing extremely liberal nations compared to OTL. I think the most autocratic states are Hardi's Russia, Lonestar's La Plata and my own Taiping. Which reminds me that I need to show some dark underbelly soon. *glares at Windswept for running off to play a bloody republic when he could have been an empire!*

no one should take the above to seriously
Hey, I just put down a rebellion by dropping a ton of bombs on them, mostly so I can solidify the rule of the Emperor. That's gotta score at least some points. But besides, I'm still running around in a nigh-feudal state, gimme some time here!
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

In light of what Frigid has said about my playstyle, my next country in a game will be some Westernized Empire of fictional pedigree with an all-powerful autocratic Emperor who oversees a court of the most byzantine intrigue, complete with plots of maskirovka and even outright assassination, while enjoying his harem of gorgeous, beautiful women and, occasionally, the also-gorgeous, if more athletically-built, all-woman militant order of bodyguards that protect the Imperial Person and Household and even operate the Imperial bureaucracy (Eunuchs are so 15th Century! The Empire must progress to the modern day! Besides, if his harem concubines are sleeping with their bodyguards it's not like they'll have children, and girl-on-girl is hot anyway).

And I will make sure to give it such thick BDSM overtones that I shall out-Norseman Norseman! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:
Last edited by Steve on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Steve wrote:In light of what Frigid has said about my playstyle, my next country in a game will be some Westernized Empire of fictional pedigree with an all-powerful autocratic Emperor who oversees a court of the most byzantine intrigue, complete with plots of maskirovka and even outright assassination, while enjoying his harem of gorgeous, beautiful women and, occasionally, the also-gorgeous, if more athletically-built, all-woman militant order of bodyguards that protect and the Imperial Person and Household and even operate the Imperial bureaucracy (Eunuchs are so 15th Century! The Empire must progress to the modern day! Besides, if his harem concubines are sleeping with their bodyguards it's not like they'll have children, and girl-on-girl is hot anyway).

And I will make sure to give it such thick BDSM overtones that I shall out-Norseman Norseman! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:
You forgot waterslides to the imperial palace.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

Those were presumed. As are the massive and luxurious pools where the Emperor's harem girls lounge about, typically in the nude, waiting for their Emperor to call them for his pleasure. :wink:

Maybe the Imperial palace should have its own little water park like Wet 'n' Wild for the entertainment of guests and to keep the harem girls occupied physically during the day. Yes! And naturally it will clash with the nearby slum of destitute poor denizens who can only watch and sigh at the opulence of their ruler as they scrounge for sustenance! Since usually popular gatherings to request better conditions are brutally crushed by the Emperor's army, well, unless the Emperor is feeling charitable and calls for bread and circuses to distract his disenfranchised lower classes. :twisted:
Last edited by Steve on Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

We are now beginning May/June.

It turns out that not all of you have turned in your build orders. I will give every player who hasn't 48 hours to do so (this means by Wednesday 4:30 United States Midwestern time) or you're not doing a build order. Next build session if you cannot turn in a build order in a week, you're not getting a build. Clear folks?
Last edited by frigidmagi on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Concerning IBPs and the trading therein.

It is possible to trade your IBP's with another nation, assuming you both agree to the trade. Such a trade has several restrictions.

1- You can offer up no more than 20% of your total IBPs in a season.
2- These IBPs must be set towards a specific research purpose.
3- You cannot offer towards a research project you do not have. If you have less or equal points in a stat than the nation you would be offering the IBPs to, you cannot do that.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
The Cleric
Thy Kingdom Come...

Post by The Cleric »

Could you edit the first post and keep it up to date with a calendar of events that need to take place? It's hard to keep track of among work and school and everything else.
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river.

The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Actually Cleric, you need to post up your deployments. Which troops are in which province and what not. I can't throw to many rocks not having put up my deployments either, but I'll do that tonight. That said, I would like to see them in 48 hours. Also, no one who doesn't have their full deployments up by province can engage in offensive military action.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

frigidmagi wrote:Also, no one who doesn't have their full deployments up by province can engage in offensive military action.
I have military districts, which are rather larger than provinces, are those okay?
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

PM me a breakdown of said districts and I'll let you know. I however prefer provinces, the RL ones. We can all look them up if we where we are and there is no confusion that way.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

frigidmagi wrote:PM me a breakdown of said districts and I'll let you know.
Eh, it's not going to be specific enough, I can tell. The ones in Europe average like a million sq. km each. The ones in Siberia and Central Asia more like two million, but those are ironically more specific since all of my forces are deployed along the narrow habitable strip that the Trans-Siberian railroad passes through.
I however prefer provinces, the RL ones. We can all look them up if we where we are and there is no confusion that way.
That's going to be a problem. The Bolsheviks totally upended the Tsarist provincial organization, so I can't use theirs, and the Tsarist provincial organization was for a State that had almost 90% of its population living west of the Urals. That's why I went with military districts, they're somewhat more arbitrary and thus easier for me to define and name.
Last edited by Hadrianvs on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Then use modern provinces, in game you can use whatever terminology you want but use modern provinces in the OOB.
Hadrianvs
Initiate

Post by Hadrianvs »

frigidmagi wrote:Then use modern provinces, in game you can use whatever terminology you want but use modern provinces in the OOB.
I count a dozen modern Russian provinces that are larger than Texas...

Anyway, I take it that Hotfoot's force dispositions aren't adequate either? He's got his homeland divided into four regions, which at a guess are between 0.6 sq Mm and 0.8 sq Mm in size.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

I count a dozen modern Russian provinces that are larger than Texas...
Don't... Care... If I start down that road we'll end up doing GPS coordinates for every fucking squad. Just use provinces Hadri.
Anyway, I take it that Hotfoot's force dispositions aren't adequate either? He's got his homeland divided into four regions, which at a guess are between 0.6 sq Mm and 0.8 sq Mm in size.
Did I say everyone expect Hotfoot? Or you could just let me mod this game, just a thought.
Steve
Master

Post by Steve »

I just listed Corps HQs (and Army HQs) myself, presumed that people would understand the divisions of said Corps were in the general area.
Slacker
Apprentice

Post by Slacker »

I've got most of my orbat deployed, fortresses are certainly all listed. I just have to figure out where exactly the divisions are going. That and my build orders will get done today, my apologies but I've had a rather unexpected move dumped in my lap and I've been stuck dealing with most of the packing due to my wife's date with the bar exam.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Hadri, you should really quit while you're ahead. I've been fighting a per-state breakdown because even with a per-state breakdown I have over thirty fucking provinces and I really had no desire to break things down that minutely. If I have to I'll do it, and it seems like I have to, but I'll be damned if I'm doing anything other than the bare minimum required here.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

Post by General Havoc »

I went through the trouble to post my deployments down to the city, but I don't expect everyone is going to want to do that. My concern has been that there are still people with no deployments made, which is hardly fair to those of us who have posted our troop locations.

Fortunately, it appears this will be worked out shortly.
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."