Star Wars: The Tide Turns (VOIP Game)

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

Well, I hope we can sneak in some gaming today. :)
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

My throat, even after my herbal tea, is giving me shit, so I'm going to have to call it just one more week. Sorry guys. :cry:
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, so good news, my voice is returning. I doubt I'll be shouting out orders on a busy battlefield soon, it's good enough for government work.

That said, if you guys are down, we could go for a double header this week to make up for the lack of games so far.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Works for me. Everyone else?
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

I would be willing to partake in such a double header if everyone else can tag along. :smile:
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

You mean a game on two consecutive days? It should work for me.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I should be up for it. A certain admiral is well overdo for reptilian trouble.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Marcao
Disciple

#208 Vampire with Fluff

Post by Marcao »

"Vampire" Class Interceptor (Prototype)
Huge Starfighter
Initiative:
Senses: Perception
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defense: Reflex 20 (flat footed 11) Fort 25; +3 armor, Vehicular Combat
hp 150; DR 10; SR 30; Threshold 33
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed: Fly 18 squares (max velocity 1,650 km/h), fly 8 squares (starship scale)
Ranged Enhanced Quad Heavy Laser Cannon + 9 (see below)
Ranged Proton Torpedo Launchers +6 (see below)
Ranged Light Concussion Missile Launcher +6 (see below)
Ranged Jammer
Fighting Space 4x4 or 1 square (starship scale); Cover total
Base Atk +4; Grp +26
Atk Options autofire (laser cannons, fire-link torpedoes)
Abilities Str 40, Dex 28, Con --, Int 18
Skills Initiative , Mechanics , Perception , Pilot , Use Computer
Crew: 1 pilot plus astromech droid (skilled); Passengers 0
Cargo 25kg; Consumables 1 week; Carried Craft None
Payload 18 proton torpedos, 12 light concussion missiles
Hyperdrive x.5, 10-jump memory (astromech droid)
Availability ---------- Cost: 450,000

Enhanced Quad Heavy Laser Cannons (pilot)
Atk +9 (+4 autofire), Dmg 9d10x2
---------------------------------------------------------
Proton Torpedo Launcher x2 (pilot)
Atk +6 (-14 vs targets smaller than colossal), Dmg 6d10x5
---------------------------------------------------------
Light Concussion Missile Launcher (pilot)
Atk +6, Dmg 7d10x2

The Vampire was originally conceived by Erik Zaar as a fighter that would possess the agility and speed of an A-Wing while rivaling the toughness and firepower of an X-Wing. In order to achieve this objective, he founded Hyacinth Designs. It quickly became apparent that Erik's insistence on a fighter design without any compromises would lead to a ship that would be extremely expensive. Originally, Erik had wanted for the Vampire to become the de facto strike craft of his eventual organization. When the projected price of the Vampire prototype exceeded three hundred thousand credits it became readily apparent that the design would never be mass produced.

The Vampire is significantly smaller than an X-wing and is closer in size to an A-Wing. The reasons for the size is both to maintain a high maneuverability and small sensor profile as well as to allow a carrier to fit more of them into their bays. In order to increase the toughness of the fighter Laminanium plating reinforcements were heavily utilized through the frame and supporting structures. As a result of this, the Vampire's durability is significantly improved over that of an X-Wing. The engines of the Vampire are heavily modified and boosted to offer performance rivaling that of the TIE Defender. A modified shield system offers protection above that found in an A-Wing. The outer "skin" of the Vampire incorporates a smart paint system that can change color over time depending to a specific amount of voltage. This system allows the Vampire to take on any color or series of colors its pilot desires over the course of five minutes. Up to ten such patterns may be recorded into memory at any given time. The system is frail however, and will be disabled (the current pattern becoming locked in) until repaired should the ship take any damage that moves it down the condition track or its total hit points fall below half.

CAPABILITIES

The Vampire is one of the fastest ships in the galaxy and matches the TIE Defender in terms of top speed and exceeds it in terms of acceleration and maximum velocity within an atmosphere. Vampire pilots quickly grow used to the enhanced tactical flexibility this speed and maneuverability provides them. It is the Vampire's weapon systems however that cause the ship to shine in combat and truly make them fearsome adversaries. Its primary weapon system is the "Harbinger" enhanced quad heavy laser cannon. This weapon system is quite possibly the most effective laser weapon ever fielded by strike craft. Its twin proton torpedo launchers each carrying a cylindrical magazine with nine torpedoes each grants the Vampire the ability to effectively deal with larger threats. Its light concussion missile launcher allows it to weaken entire groups of enemy fighters.

Defensively, the Vampire's shield rating exceeds that of a Y-Wing. A feat that is certain to surprise any potential adversary. Should the shields be breached, the Laminanium reinforced hull of the Vampire allows its pilot a higher survival rate than an X-Wing. Like the A-Wing, the Vampire incorporates a jamming system designed to make the fighter more elusive prey to ships at close range. However, unlike the A-Wing the Vampire's jammer cannot affect targets larger than small craft. The Laminanium reinforcement significantly impairs signal strength and as such space transports and other colossal sized vessels cannot be adequately affected. The pilot of the Vampire may activate its jammer system as a swift action. Upon activation all small craft that are adjacent or on the same square as the Vampire receive a -5 penalty to their intelligence score.

The primary weakness of the Vampire is due to its nature as a limited run prototype and Erik Zaar's decision to equip all Vampires with .5 hyperdrive. These two decisions require large amounts of scheduled maintenance. Each Vampire requires 16 hours of maintenance a month in order to operate at peak efficiency. In order to mitigate these needs, Hyacinth Designs highly recommends that each Vampire be paired with a mechanic droid.
Last edited by Marcao on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, so as it stands, a few things stood out to me over the last session, rules-wise. One is that when I first made the changes to Proton Torpedoes, I didn't consider how they would be affected by squads. As it stands, the current die code for them doesn't work well with the squad system, though the damage level works rather well. As a result, I'm going to change the die code from 11d10x3 to 6d10x5.

On another note, I'm likely to change the shield codes for some cruisers, since RAW, most cruisers have shield ratings equal to that of frigates, which is....well wrong. So something like the Mon Cal Cruisers (which classically had massive shields) will be boosted up to 200, while most other cruisers will be boosted to 150 or 175, depending.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

So, on further discussion, I'd like to propose the following global changes to space combat.

1. Making Laser Cannons and Ion Cannons have the same range. It's a bit fo a pain dealing with the different ranges of weapons that are both anti-fighter but have significantly different ranges.

2. Adjusting concussion missiles to have two firing modes, burst and single target. Burst would have lower damage but be burst (rather than splash), and single target would get a free reroll (-5 on the second check), without needing the aim action, as well as slightly better damage. Neither mode would do double damage on a critical hit.

These aren't proclamations like the earlier ones, as those were fixes to things that were basically in error. These are proposing new systems. Thoughts?
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Hotfoot wrote:So, on further discussion, I'd like to propose the following global changes to space combat.

1. Making Laser Cannons and Ion Cannons have the same range. It's a bit fo a pain dealing with the different ranges of weapons that are both anti-fighter but have significantly different ranges.
For tactical reasons, it makes sense to have them have different ranges.

For practical reasons, it's fucking annoying.

I say make them have the same range.
Hotfoot wrote:2. Adjusting concussion missiles to have two firing modes, burst and single target. Burst would have lower damage but be burst (rather than splash), and single target would get a free reroll (-5 on the second check), without needing the aim action, as well as slightly better damage. Neither mode would do double damage on a critical hit.
Now this is an interesting proposition. Any other thoughts on this? I'd like to consider pro's and con's.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

I am all up for laser cannons having improved range. It simplifies record keeping without making ion cannons be without their use.

When it comes to the concussion missile I think overall it is a positive step. The burst dynamic is superior to splash, and it also makes life easier on the record keeping. Concussion missiles are probably going to have two damage codes representing separate "fuses". Light Concussion missiles could be 7d10x2 to hit one target or squadron ("burst zero") and become 5d10x2 ("burst" two or three) which will allow for damaging a wide area without wrecking everything. The free re-roll is nice and basically removes the existing, spend two free actions to aim which we hardly ever want to do. I think it is a matter of balancing out the huge current AOE effect of the weapon (splash 4 is huge) while keeping damage in check. I am not against this change on principle since the weapon simply becomes more flexible for the cost of its large ass AOE range.
Last edited by Marcao on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Marcao wrote:When it comes to the concussion missile I think overall it is a positive step. The burst dynamic is superior to splash, and it also makes life easier on the record keeping. Concussion missiles are probably going to have two damage codes representing separate "fuses". Light Concussion missiles could be 7d10x2 to hit one target or squadron ("burst zero") and become 5d10x2 ("burst" two or three) which will allow for damaging a wide area without wrecking everything. The free re-roll is nice and basically removes the existing, spend two free actions to aim which we hardly ever want to do. I think it is a matter of balancing out the huge current AOE effect of the weapon (splash 4 is huge) while keeping damage in check. I am not against this change on principle since the weapon simply becomes more flexible for the cost of its large ass AOE range.
This explanation satisfies me.

Additionally, can we houserule the Sniper feats act in the same way, providing a free reroll instead of a +1 bonus to hit if one spends two swift actions?

- William Gibson

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

There's a difference there. The missile reacquisition rules as standing are never used because of the way the system works. The sniper feats, however, do work. Additionally, it's one type of weapon that is getting this bonus, not all weapons.

Additionally, you get a host of other benefits for aiming ALONG with the +1 to hit, including ignoring several penalties.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Hotfoot wrote:There's a difference there. The missile reacquisition rules as standing are never used because of the way the system works. The sniper feats, however, do work. Additionally, it's one type of weapon that is getting this bonus, not all weapons.

Additionally, you get a host of other benefits for aiming ALONG with the +1 to hit, including ignoring several penalties.
Points taken.

- William Gibson

Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

I won't be able to play tommorow (your Tuesday night) due to having an assignment for uni I need to complete. I may be able to play on my Thursday morning (your Wednesday night). Otherwise, if I'm the only one who can't make it and nobody else can make it the day after, feel free to play without me - I don't want to hold up the game.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

We'll see how it goes how is everyone's availability?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

I can do either Tuesday or Wednesday.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Either Tuesday or Wednesday works just fine for me.
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

Wednesday works for me as well. I would prefer to keep the band together if at all possible. :smile:
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Well in Alan speak that means he's gone to see his ladyfriend today, so I guess we'll move the game to tomorrow. :razz:
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Well, shit. Alright, tomorrow it is.

- William Gibson

Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Well the game last night was bloody. Not only did three PCs die, but so did Captain Rossen and half of Sullust.

I'll need Stofsk, Windy, and cpap to roll new characters if they want to continue.
rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

Wow. Sounds like I missed one hell of a party.

More seriously, I don't think Wednesdays would work for me in general all that well. The last three times, random shit popped up that day, making gaming difficult.

- William Gibson

Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Hotfoot wrote:Well the game last night was bloody. Not only did three PCs die, but so did Captain Rossen and half of Sullust.

I'll need Stofsk, Windy, and cpap to roll new characters if they want to continue.
Haha you can't fool me!

Anyway sorry I was MIA this week, I had a lot of stuff I needed to do as well as work on an assignment for uni. Next week is my inter-semester break so if you guys are free I propose a double session next week, to make up for the last month and a bit.