Star Wars: The Tide Turns (VOIP Game)

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Has anyone thought about doing a double session this week?
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

I am up for a double session this week if possible. :)
The Peddler of Half Truths.
"Not OP, therefore weakest." - Cynical Cat (May 2016)
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I will certainly be there for Tuesday, but after the last three Wednesdays where random shit came up, I'm hesitant to agree for that day too.

Let's start with Tuesday, and go from there.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

I am up for anything you guys can dish out.

Seriously though, I'm game. More to the point, I just finished construction on something that will change the face of the galaxy.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Ion cannons and Laser cannons now have the same exact range, using the Ion cannon range.

Concussion Missiles are now as follows:

Light Concussion Missiles:
Mode 1: 7d10x2 Blast 0, re-roll misses at -5
Mode 2: 5d10x2 Blast 2

Medium Concussion Missiles:
Mode 1: 9d10x2 Blast 0, re-roll misses at -5
Mode 2: 5d10x2 Blast 4

Heavy Concussion Missiles:
Blast 0, re-roll misses at -5
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

This is the one day (plus an hour and a half) notification for the game, is everyone still good to go?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

yep.
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

should be
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

Post by rhoenix »

I'll need to duck out early, unfortunately - about 6:00pm my time (Pacific).

Wednesday I'll be available from about 4pm to 8pm, though.
Last edited by rhoenix on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, we had a pretty good session last night, despite that we were a few down. Just as a reminded, we're trying for a second session tonight at 8PM Eastern time, that's one hour after the usual meet time.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, just a check, is everyone okay with a game tomorrow?
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

should be
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

I will be available.
"A dog doesn’t need to show his teeth as long as his growl’s deep enough, his food bowl is full and he knows where all the bones are buried." - Frank Underwood
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Due to the issue being raised of point blank ranges for pistols and any proposed retooling or house ruling, I thought I'd make a post to begin discussion. I consulted wikipedia for some quick, basic info:
Handguns are often considered self-defense weapons for use under 50 yards (46 m). While a handgun in the hands of an experienced shooter may be effective at distances greater than 50 yards (46 m), a handgun cartridge is much more limited in its energy capacity than many long gun cartridges.
Blasters aren't slugthrowers to state the obvious, but it might serve as a useful guide to understand the effective ranges of a handgun for this discussion, just to give some idea of what we're dealing with.

Now a quick solution would be to halve the values for blaster pistols. That means point blank becomes 0-10 sqs (squares), which is a maximum of 15 metres. Short range (-2 to attack) becomes 11-20 sqs (or 15-30 metres), medium range (-5 to attack) becomes 21-30 sqs (or 30-45 metres), and long range (-10 to attack) becomes 31-40 sqs (or 45-60 metres).

Note as per the quote from wiki, where 46 metres is considered a range where handguns are effective, under this system medium range covers that, and it is already difficult to hit at the maximum range. Anything within long range would require an experienced marksman with good hand-eye co-ordination and dexterity, as well as training (to offset that -10 to attack) - and that's assuming the target is helpfully just standing out in the open asking to be hit. What if he's moving about trying to evade, wearing armour, or seeking cover? Also, I think the hex map in screen monkey won't commonly have anything above 30-40 hexes in any given combat encounter. At least I don't recall any map being much larger.

Bear in mind that if we halve the ranges for pistols, heavy blasters will be the most affected because they're classed as an inaccurate weapon which means they cannot be fired at long ranges. (or rather you can fire them but you won't hit anything) Note that this can be offset by purchasing a scope for your heavy blaster, so long range becomes medium, so long as you spend a swift action to aim before firing. (Han Solo and Luke's DL-44 and the Rebels DH-17 each have scopes on them) It's easy to forget about scopes, because they can also turn short range to point blank range too.

Or we can just ignore this as a problem. Really in all the time we've been playing the game I don't think this issue has been raised at all until our last session. That said, halving the values is easily the quickest solution and may even make sense given the description of handguns from wikipedia (if anyone has any greater knowledge of firearms don't hesitate to offer it). Thoughts?
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

It's the easiest solution and provides a legitimate downside to using heavy blaster pistols in combat. I have no problem with it.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Quick note: I will not be able to make it to the game tomorrow, but Wednesday should be just fine.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

I too can't make it tommorow. I might not make it the following day either. I have two assignments for uni due in this week, one tommorow and the other on Friday. So tommorow is defintely out, but Thursday might not be - however I don't want to commit until I have an idea as to how I'm going with the essays.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, well with two people definitely down on tomorrow, that date is cancelled, and we'll try again for the next day.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

I have to say I'll likely be missing out this week. Sorry guys.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

If we can't get it this week, we'll get it next, no worries.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Well, we had some scheduling conflicts last week, so let's see if this week works any better. Who all is set for tomorrow?
Marcao
Disciple

Post by Marcao »

I should be good to go.
Stofsk
Secret Agent Man

Post by Stofsk »

Probably not tommorow. Day after would work better for me.
Academia Nut
Adept

Post by Academia Nut »

Tomorrow or the day after should work for me, day after probably better since I will probably be a bit late getting back home tomorrow.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Okay, let's call it off for today and move it to tomorrow?