Earthdawn Character Creation

OOC: For the creation and management of board RPG's.

Moderator: B4UTRUST

Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#1 Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

So with the possibility that the iciest of mages might run an Earthdawn game, I thought I would run through character creation, which is thankfully Not Eclipse Phase.

1) Choose a Discipline.

Every PC in Earthdawn follows a Discipline. They aren't merely good at what they do, they use magic to be awesome at what they do. All of them. Thieves, Warriors, Sky Raiders, everyone uses magic to go from good to awesome and damn super human. Even if they are already trolls.

2) Choose race. Trolls, elves, orks and others. Humans, of course. Small flying windlings and social semi-aquatic lizardfolk t'skrang and big rock people obsidimen.

I'm going with Elf Nethermancer

3) Generate Attributes

Elves starts with

DEX 12, STR 10, TOU 8, PER 11, WIL 11, CHA 11

and I have 25 points to improve them with. Expenditure of points goes by the appropriate table and, of course, scales so the top values cost more than 1:1. As a Nethermancer, I'll need lots of Will and Perception, but the other stats matter.

DEX. Everyone loves DEX and so does Earthdawn. As an elf I already don't suck and as a Nethermancer it won't be the baseline of my attacks or defense talents because spellcaster fuck you. So just one point to go to 12.

1 point.

STR stays at 10. Proverbial dump stat. I can increase it during play, but I won't need it at start and 10 is a good enough number

TOU goes to 10. 8 is just too damn glassy.

2 points

PER to 16. Because I'm a fucking Nethermancer.

7 points

WIL to 16. See above.

7 points.

CHA 11. I'm not rolling Troubador or Swordmaster or Sky Raider or even Illusionist. Charisma isn't my thing and 11 is decent. Now there's also the defensive side of these stats and Battle Shout will make you believe in their importance and summoning does come into play at higher circles, but by then I can boost CHA and 11 isn't bad to begin with and I have talents to help, so it'll do.

That's 17 points. I have 8 left and I have my bare minimum stats. This character is, as is, competent and effective. My two best options are jacking DEX and CHA for better well roundedness or Increase WIL or PER for better spellcasting.

PER goes to 19 for 8 points. Fuck did it cost but Marcao has my back right?
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#2 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

So stats done. Next is derived stats, talents, spells, and skills. Since a couple of derived stats are affected by gear, I'm going to put those off and go to talents, spells, and skills.

4) Talents. 8 points of talents, can't go higher than 3. Take the First Circle Discipline Talents adn one of the Talent Options.

Astral Sight 1
Karma Ritual 1
Read/Write Magic 1
Spellcasting 3
Spell Matrix 1
Thread Weaving (Nethermancy) 1

Option
Spell Matrix 1

Spells. I get a number of spell points equal to my Perception step, which is 8 and can be spent on First and Second spells.

Astral Spear
Bone Dance
Experience Death
Spirit Dart
Spirit Grip
Undead Struggle
Shield Mist (2nd Circle)

The failure to select Insect Repellent as a spell guarantees that there will be bug swarms of death unless frigid is appeased so I would like to take this time to state that I both admire and respect the United States Marine Corps.

Skills
Talents are magical abilities, but there are skills as well. Some do the same thing, but in general a Talent is far more awesome than the skill equivalent. Still, everyone has skills. First the freebees and then the 8 points of discretional spending, up to rank 3. Free points include 1 rank in an artisanal skill, which is a good way of demonstrating you're not horror marked, because horror marked people can't create objects of beauty. It helps when meeting strangers.

Creatures of Barsaive 1
History of Barsaive 1
Bone Carving 1
Speak Language 2 Throalic(Dwarvish, the lingua franca), Elvish
Read/Write Language 1, Elvish

and then
Alchemy and Potions 2
History of Barsaive 2
Avoid Blow 3
Read/Write Language 2,
Robe Embroidery 1
It's not that I'm unforgiving, it's that most of the people who wrong me are unrepentant assholes.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#3 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

Now gear

Adventurer's Kit (backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, torch, waterskin, large skin)

Artisan Tools
Dagger
Grimoire
Traveler's Garb (soft boots, shirt, belt, breeches, traveler's cloak)
Trail Rations (7 days)
100 silver pieces

So all the essentials are covered before money is spent. So that means
Padded Leather Armor
Booster Potion (It's a healing type potion)
Embroidered Robe

15 sp left
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#4 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

So wrapping things up. Derived stats and all that fun.

Name:
Race: Elf
Discipline: Nethermancer
Circle: 1st
Step
DEX 12 5
STR 10 5
TOU 10 5
PER 19 8
WIL 16 7
CHA 11 5

Physical Defence: 7
Social Defence: 7
Spell Defence: 10

Initiative: 5 (d8)
Movement: 7

Armor: 4
Mystic Armor: 2
Death Rating: 31
Unconsciousness Rating: 22
Wound Rating: 8
Damage/Wounds:
Blood Magic:

Talents

Astral Sight 1
Karma Ritual 1
Read/Write Magic 1
Spellcasting 3
Spell Matrix 1
Spell Matrix 1
Thread Weaving (Nethermancy) 1

Skills
Alchemy and Potions 2
Avoid Blow 3
Bone Carving 1
Creatures of Barsaive 1
History of Barsaive 2
Read/Write Language 2,
Robe Embroidery 1

Gear
Artisan Tools
Dagger
Grimoire
Trail Rations (7 days)
Padded Leather Armor
Booster Potion (It's a healing type potion)
Embroidered Robe

Money

15 sp

Spells

Astral Spear
Bone Dance
Experience Death
Spirit Dart
Spirit Grip
Undead Struggle
Shield Mist (2nd Circle)
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#5 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by frigidmagi »

I forgot to say but I will make it official, once you NAME this elf he is approved.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#6 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

I was holding off on certain details until talking with you. I was holding off on naming him until I thought of a good one.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#7 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

Names are a big deal in Earthdawn. It's not by mistake the collective term for the sapient races (minus dragons) of Barsaive is Name-givers. Names matter. Don't choose a stupid one.
General Havoc
Mr. Party-Killbot

#8 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by General Havoc »

So Perriwinkle Zipaloonie is out?
Gaze upon my works, ye mighty, and despair...

Havoc: "So basically if you side against him, he summons Cthulu."
Hotfoot: "Yes, which is reasonable."
Dark Silver
Omnipotent Overlord

#9 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Dark Silver »

Contrarious the Flatulent would be right out then eh?
Allen Thibodaux | Archmagus | Supervillain | Transfan | Trekker | Warsie |
"Then again, Detective....how often have you dreamed of hearing your father's voice once more? Of feeling your mother's touch?" - Ra's Al Ghul
"According to the Bible, IHVH created the Universe in six days....he obviously didn't know what he was doing." - Darek Steele bani Order of Hermes.
DS's Golden Rule: I am not a bigot, I hate everyone equally. | corollary: Some are more equal than others.
frigidmagi

#10 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by frigidmagi »

You know that spell of his Bone Dance? If you don't, let's just say I wouldn't taunt a man who could use that spell.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Lys
Master

#11 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Lys »

Just knowing that names are important in Earthdawn makes me want to play someone named Stormbreaker. So named because her birth cry literally broke a storm.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
The pretty flowers remind me of a song of elves.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#12 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

Name: Sereph

Description: Sareph is a slim, golden skinned male elf of slightly better than average height (6'5'') with black hair just short of shoulder length. He frequently paints a black starburst around his left eye/cheek. Nominally a Free Follower of the Wheel, he walks the Path of the Warrior. He displays this by wearing a black robe embroidered with a rain of horizontally falling red arrows.

Race: Elf
Discipline: Nethermancer

DEX 12 5
STR 10 5
TOU 10 5
PER 19 8
WIL 16 7
CHA 11 5

Physical Defence: 7
Social Defence: 7
Spell Defence: 10

Initiative: 5 (d8)
Movement: 7

Armor: 4
Wound Rating: 8
Damage/Wounds:
Blood Magic:

Talents

Astral Sight 1/9 D8+D6
Karma Ritual 1
Read/Write Magic 1/9 D8+D6
Spellcasting 2/10 D10+D6
Spell Matrix 1
Spell Matrix 1
Thread Weaving (Nethermancy) 1/9 D8+D6

Skills
Alchemy and Potions 1/10 2D8
Avoid Blow 3/8 2D6
Bone Carving 1/9 D8+D6
Horrors 1/9 D8+D6
History of Barsaive 2/10 2D8
Read/Write Language 2,
Robe Embroidery 1/9 D8+D6

Gear
Artisan Tools
Dagger
Grimoire
Trail Rations (7 days)
Padded Leather Armor
Booster Potion
Embroidered Robe

Money

15 sp

Spells

Astral Spear
Bone Dance
Experience Death
Spirit Dart
Spirit Grip
Undead Struggle
Shield Mist (2nd Circle)
frigidmagi

#13 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by frigidmagi »

Sereph is approved.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#14 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by rhoenix »

Name: Fehl Sangolin
Description: Standing a fairly impressive 6' 0" tall, Fehl is usually mistaken for a merchant - right up until things go terribly awry. He hails from a small settlement in the Dragon Mountains, having left in search of his fortune.

Race: Human
Discipline: Elementalist

DEX: 11 (s5)
STR: 10 (s5)
TOU: 10 (s5)
PER: 17 (s7)
WIL: 17 (s7)
CHA: 10 (s5)

Defenses:
Physical Armor: 4 (padded leather armor, +0 to mystic armor, -0 to init)
Physical Defense Rating: 7
Mystic Defense Rating: 3
Physical Defense: 7
Mystic Armor: 3
Spell Defense: 9
Social Defense: 6
Initiative: 5

Additional Stats:
Carrying Capacity: 70 lbs.
Wound Threshold: 8
Recovery Tests/Day: 2
Movement Rate: 6

Talents:
Versatility: 0
Air Speaking: 1
Karma Ritual: 1
Read/Write Magic: 1
Spellcasting: 2
Spell Matrix: 1
Spell Matrix: 1
Threadweaving (Elementalism): 1

Skills:
Literacy: Dwarven
Spoken: Dwarven
Spoken: T'Skrang
Spoken: Human
Artisan: Mapmaking 1
Mimic Voice: 1
Avoid Blow: 1
Detect Trap: 1
Knowledge: Horror Lore 1
Knowledge: Farming 1
Knowledge: Barsaive History 1
Search: 1
Taunt: 1
Wilderness Survival: 1

Elemental Spells:
(c1) Air Armor
(c1) Heat Food
(c1) Earth Darts
(c1) Purify Earth
(c1) Purify Water
(c1) Resist Cold
(c1) Resist Fire

Equipment:
- Adventurer's Kit (backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, torch, waterskin, large sack)
- Artisan Kit (mapmaking tools)
- Dagger
- Grimoire
- Traveler's Garb (soft boots, shirt, belt, breeches, traveler's cloak)
- Trail Rations (1 week)
- 80 silver pieces
Last edited by rhoenix on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Lys
Master

#15 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Lys »

So I was going to make an Elementalist anyway, even if they weren't quite what I wanted, but rhoenix has put paid for that. Am I upset? Oh no at all! I'm happy this happened, because I think I'll be much happier with a Swordmaster(+Illusionist) who has a magic storm-themed sword. I'm sure our GM will be nice enough to let me find one, eventually, probably involving horrific horrifying horrible Horrors of utter horribleness. In the meantime to then, Swordmaster/Illusionist is pretty damn badass on its own! Now just need to get off my lazy ass and build a character.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
Lys
Master

#16 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Lys »

Okay, here's a rough draft of my character, which I would like to have some commentary on my choices. Which I should have posted a day ago when it was done, but I got distracted looking for pictures... which I didn't include because rough draft. >_<

I have no real idea what to do with the general, knowledge, and artisan skills. The artisan one I suppose is least important, just so long as it's there. A musician with ney would fit thematically, but also not be very useful. For the rest, no real idea though. Knowledge about weapons fits, but weaponsmaster half-magic conveniently has that one covered, so I should pick other things.

CHARACTER SHEET (rough draft)

Name: Buranbazi (Stormbreaker, goes by Storm)
Race: Ashurian Human
Description and Background: Young woman with a fencer's build, she is slightly tall, pale skinned, dark haired, and brown eyed; with attractive looks and charming demeanour. A stranger in a strange land, Buranbazi is new to Barsaive. She hails from Ashur, a Kingdom extending from the southwestern coast of the Aras Sea into the Land of Four Rivers. Her exotic clothes, armour, weapons, foreign manner of speech, and strange ways are all largely unknown beyond to coast of the Aras Sea, where the Ashurians come in their ships to trade.
Perhaps most striking is her face, which she normally keeps veiled in the custom of the upper class women of Ashur. To Buranbazi, the veil is an expression of priviledge and power, as well as a link to her distant home. Yet though her face is veiled, her emotions are not, for Buranbazi's eyes are wide and expressive, her voice clear and rich in tone, and her body language distinct and flamboyant.

Discipline: Weaponsmaster, 1st Circle

Dexterity: 17 | 7
Strength: 11 | 5
Toughness: 10 | 5
Perception: 13 | 6
Willpower: 13 | 6
Charisma: 16 | 7

Defences
Physical Defense: 9
Spell Defence: 7
Social Defence: 9
Physical Armor: 5
Current/Base Intiative Step: 6/7

Additional Stats
Wound Threshold: 8
Recovery Tests/Day: 2
Movement Rate: 7

Discipline Talents
Melee Weapons 3
Manouver 3
Parry 2
Karma Ritual 0

Discipline Talent Options
N/A

Versatility Talents
Versatility 0

Skills
Literacy: Ashurian Human
Spoken: Ashurian Human
Spoken: Thoralic Dwarven
Artisan: Musician 1 (?)
Knowledge: ???
Knowledge: ???
8 General Skills: ???

Equipment
Carrying Capacity: 40/80 lbs
-Kilij "Wrath" (flowing sword), Dmg 10/5, Str 11, Sz 3, Wgt 5 # (w/scd), Special: With Dex 15, successfully using manoeuvre harries the opponent.
-Jambiya (dagger), Dmg 7/2, Str 4, Sz 1, Wgt 1 # (w/scd), Inscription: "The hilt of this dagger conquers the world even though it is a handful of bone."
-Horn Lamellar (hide armour), Amr 5|1|1, Wgt 25 #
-Buckler, Amr 1|0|1, Def +1|+0, Str 17, Wgt 3 #
-Ashurian Garb (pointed boots, colourful flowing robe and tunic, loose trousers, veil), 3 #
-Adventurer's Kit (backpack, bedroll, flint & steel, torch, waterskin, large sack), 14 #
-Artisan's Kit: Ney, end-blown flute
-Trail Rations (1 week)
-10 silver pieces
Lys is lily, or lilium.
frigidmagi

#17 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by frigidmagi »

Oh look someone who had promised me to post a character... Who actually did so! I am excited by this and will gladly aide such a person!

Okay your weapon is a step 5 damage? Just checking.

Skills... The Artisan skill is important because that's how strangers show each other that they are free of Horror Taint. Horror tainted creatures being unable to create pretty or positively moving things. They can make disturbing freaky things but no one goes in for that kind of art anymore. Most weaponmasters do weapon engraving, which can also serve as an advertisement of your feats of skill, acting and dancing are also really popular as they have to do with proper maneuvering (which I think fits in your vision of the discipline). If your culture places alot of importance on the spoken word, Poetry or Singing would work.

Since you want your character to be an upper class lady type social skills would be good for you, as long as they weren't talents you're gonna pick up later anyways. Diplomacy, Etiquette, Rhetoric and Engaging Banter (or Flirting) are good choices along those lines. If she's a warrior elite type, skills like Tactics, Ancient Weapons,

Since you have traveled in empty and wild places (which in this time is most of the Earth) skills like Navigation, Hunting, Wilderness Survival or Silent Walk would be helpful.

Or perhaps skills like Streetwise or Disguise would keep you out of trouble.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#18 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

Drop Dex to 16. 17 gets you one point of Physical Defence, but since you can increase your stats by up to 3 points after a little play time and both 19 and 20 share the same Step number and Physical Defence, it isn't worth the extra points at character creation especially since you have Parry.

Strength to 13. Not only more damage, but some weapons have Strength requirements.

Put points in Karma Ritual or you start with no Karma. That means no bonus dice on any important rolls and no ability to buy Karma at all until you buy Karma Ritual. You're human, good karma is one of your racial advantages. Exploit it.
rhoenix
The Artist formerly known as Rhoenix

#19 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by rhoenix »

Edited character sheet to bring Spellcasting down from 3 to 2, and adding another Spell Matrix 1 instead.
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

- William Gibson

Josh wrote:What? There's nothing weird about having a pet housefly. He smuggles cigarettes for me.
Lys
Master

#20 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Lys »

frigidmagi

Yeah, format is current damage over base damage. I should probably put my attacks somewhere too for easy reference

Those are all some pretty solid skill suggestions. Engaging Banter stands out... In that it falls into this weird spot where the ability seems cool as hell, but at risk of winding up unused in some dusty corner of the character sheet. Then on top of that I was considering Illusionism after Circle 5, and they get it as a Discipline Talent but not until Circle 8. Plus I'm a human and can learn the versatility version, that is provided I do it before initiating into Illusionism! The problem of whether to take things via versatility or skill generally extends to everything, and doesn't help my indecision either! *holds head in hands* Too many options! >_<

I have good charisma and fully intend to make use of the Swordmasters more social elements, so definitely going social to strengthen that angle isa good bet. Indeed I considered making a Gallant, but the group seemed short in the wrecking faces department. Also as tempting as having Winning Smile and Lasting Impression as Discipline Talents was, making Manoeuvre a Talent Option was a deal breaker. I'm sure the group will be thankful for that at some point or another, as there's a high chance I would never take Heartening Laugh if the game didn't force me to.

Cynical Cat

Yeah looking at the attribute chart, the point of having one at 17 is that it's only two steps to 19 and you save yourself 2100 LP. Then I realized that in the long run 2100 LP is actually chump change, and there's better uses of my points. Actually, as far as I can tell the entire LP cost structure has an extra 0 for no reason, with all LP costs and awards 10x higher than they need to be. It's really been throwing me off because my mind assumes the basic unit is 1 not 10. I also noticed that Tou 14 is really important, one more recovery test and wound threshold, which means I need Tou 11 to start. The other point can go to Str, I guess.

With respect to kharma, it's going to take some getting used to the idea of burning my character advancement resource on one use dice. I can grasp intellectually that I may get more bang for my buck gameplay wise by buying kharma dice, but frankly for the early part of the game where a few hundred LP can actually be spent in meaningfully advancing my character, I'm just not going to use it. Best then to buy it later.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#21 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

The only good reason the Legend Point values are as high as they are is that some treasure is worth Legend Points. Everyone knows that only great heroes get their hands on dragon hordes. As for karma, she's your character, but there are a lot of ways to die in Earthdawn and frigid is quite willing to let you hang yourself. You're gambling over what will be a very small number of Legend Points.
Lys
Master

#22 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Lys »

I'm making an irrational decision because I can't force myself to be rational, yes. I expect this to change after a couple sessions or so, though.
Lys is lily, or lilium.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

#23 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by Cynical Cat »

Also your starting karma is free and equal to karma ritual x race multiplier. It's actually more Legend Point efficient to start with a high Karma Ritual.
frigidmagi

#24 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by frigidmagi »

It's completely up to you Lys, as this is your character and your decision. That said Cat has played this game many a time so he does know what he is talking about.
LadyTevar
Pleasure Kitten Foreman

#25 Re: Earthdawn Character Creation

Post by LadyTevar »

Not EarthDawn, but in ShadowRun a rapid OMG USE KARMA NOW got the bouncing Grenade to go in the OTHER direction, and did not blow up our party trapped in an elevator.

Dogs are Man's Best Friend
Cats are Man's Adorable Little Serial Killers