Just watched Episode I - some thoughts

SF: Not to be confused with SyFy....
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

#1 Just watched Episode I - some thoughts

Post by Destructionator XV »

Palpatine said Senator Bail Antelles of Alderaan was nominated for the chancellelor position. Why is he not Bail Organa? Is it just a script mistake or something deeper?

Lightsabres have LOTS of energy. When Qui-Gon's sabre was burining through that door it was most hot.

Ben-Hur has a better dangerous race. Much more character in Ben Hur - the antangonist had more peronsally involved.

The special effects of the droid's blasts hitting the Gungan theatre shield looked alot like Wraith bombardment hitting Atlantis. Awesome.

The music throughout Star Wars never ceases to amaze. I love how 3 notes of the Imperial March were creeped into Yoda talking about Anakin's training. Perfect.

Good movie. When I watched it when it first came out, I was kinda mehish, but watching it agian left me liking it more.

Naboo is a pretty place.

AtoC tomorrow. I'm so excited.
Last edited by Destructionator XV on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

D XV wrote:Palpatine said Senator Bail Antelles of Alderaan was nominated for the chancellelor position. Why is he not Bail Organa? Is it just a script mistake or something deeper?
Yeah, I was wondering about this myself. Out of universe, I expect GL may have just wanted him to be an ancestor of Wedge Antilles, and he was just a character to be mentioned in passing. By the time of Ep III (seven years later, mind you) he saw Bail as being a perfect candidate for Leia's dad and Alliance collaborator, so a minor character became a major one.

In-universe, my only guess is that he had a name change, perhaps through a death in the family or marriage. (Some) Alderaanian couples might chose new surnames altogether when they marry, as opposed to taking one spouse or the other's, for example.

As for the other points, I pretty much agree with all of them, especially the Ben Hur statement. The podrace was definitely the low point of the film, IMNSHO, although it did inspire one hell of an N64 game, which I just loved.
Last edited by Ra on Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jonathan McKenzie
Half-Insane Snakehead | MSPaint Acolyte | Wierd TGOD'er

"Every time you stay abstinent...Kitten kills a god."
Surlethe
Initiate
Location: Putting off studying for finals ... even after finals are done

Post by Surlethe »

Ra wrote:In-universe, my only guess is that he had a name change, perhaps through a death in the family or marriage. (Some) Alderaanian couples might chose new surnames altogether when they marry, as opposed to taking one spouse or the other's, for example.
I just presumed the two were different people who happened to share the same first name.
--CoVD: Every time Vin Diesel kills God, a kitten masturbates.--
BANDWIDTH THIEF
"Forgive you?" Leto's voice was full of sweet reason. "Of course I forgive you. That is your God's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." ~Frank Herbert, God-Emperor of Dune
ACPATHNTDWATGODW
The Death Brigade
Ra
Master

Post by Ra »

Meh, maybe so. Bail might be as common on Alderaan as John is here. :razz:
Jonathan McKenzie
Half-Insane Snakehead | MSPaint Acolyte | Wierd TGOD'er

"Every time you stay abstinent...Kitten kills a god."
Destructionator XV
Lead Programmer

Post by Destructionator XV »

But, what are the odds that there would be two consectuive senators from Alderaan named Bail? Sure it is possible, I just find it unlikly.
Adam D. Ruppe
Image Oh my hero, so far away now.....
Surlethe
Initiate
Location: Putting off studying for finals ... even after finals are done

Post by Surlethe »

There was a good twenty years between I and III; couldn't Bail Organa have replaced Bail Antilles in elections?
--CoVD: Every time Vin Diesel kills God, a kitten masturbates.--
BANDWIDTH THIEF
"Forgive you?" Leto's voice was full of sweet reason. "Of course I forgive you. That is your God's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." ~Frank Herbert, God-Emperor of Dune
ACPATHNTDWATGODW
The Death Brigade
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Hell it's possible that Antillies just retired isn't it? Jr. Senators are unlikey I think to be canidates to led the government.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken