Who's the mask? Secret IDs thread.

F&C: Dwarves, Superhero's and Catgirls, oh my!

Moderator: frigidmagi

frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

#1 Who's the mask? Secret IDs thread.

Post by frigidmagi »

My comments in the Hulk thread made me think, just which personality is the mask and which the true one?

Is Bruce Wayne just a mask Batman wears in the daylight? Is Clark Kent just a false front that Superman maintains for personal reasons? Is Peter Parker just a thin layer over the Spiderman? Or is it the other way around?
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
The Grim Squeaker
Initiate

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Bruce Wayne is just a mask for bats, check out the Bruce Wayne murdere/fugitive line for an example as to how willing he is to ditch his "weaker" half.

Peter Parker defines himself by Spiderman but has abandoned his role a few times until his sense of morals made him start helping people, which made him re-don his costume. I'd say that Spiderman is the mask.

Bruce Banner and the Hulk are two opposite entities entirely.
Formerly known as the .303 bookworm
Veni, Vidi,Vici.
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/ ... 0av/CW.jpg[/img]
My Photography
My Picasa based Photography

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel, New York, wars while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in water having a good time.
But the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Bruce Banner and the Hulk are two opposite entities entirely.
Negative. Hulk(the first one, more came later) is just Banner's rage. Built up from his childhood through to his adulthood from rejection and isolation. The Hulk is the part of Banner that never grew up, angry at the world for treating him this way.

The Hulk is Banner without any control or guidence.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Dartzap
Keeper of the Beer

Post by Dartzap »

Well The Mask, is merely the incarnation of Loki...

Wrong mask? :wink:
"Why hello! Could I intrest you in some giant bonsai trees?"

Batman

Post by Batman »

Somebody didn't get the point. For either Banner OR the Hulk to be a 'mask' would require for the other to intentionally don it, and for one of them to be the real him. Which is not the case. The Hulk is part of what's Bruce Banner, and vice versa.
As for me and Clark, it's not that simple either. I certainly tried for Bruce Wayne to be a mask. As those who finished Murderer/Fugitive would know, it didn't work. Because without Bruce Wayne I'm not human. He's the one who can have friends, even a family of sorts, who can smile, joke, donate to charity, go to the movies... I need him to stay sane.
You'd have to ask him to be sure of course but I'd say it's something along the same lines for Clark, if not quite so extreme. Superman needs Clark Kent to be able to be a person instead of an icon.
Josh
Resident of the Kingdom of Eternal Cockjobbery

Post by Josh »

I'd say that Clark Kent is the human side of Superman, the one who has doubts and uncertainties like most joes.
When the Frog God smiles, arm yourself.
"'Flammable' and 'inflammable' have the same meaning! This language is insane!"
GIVE ME COFFEE AND I WILL ALLOW YOU TO LIVE!- Frigid
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain
Batman

Post by Batman »

Petrosjko wrote:I'd say that Clark Kent is the human side of Superman, the one who has doubts and uncertainties like most joes.
Exactly. Clark Kent is the one who gets to picnic, play Frisbee with the Valendamned supermutt, and remove supermutt-related oopsies from the living room carpet before Lois finds out. The one who has a life, as opposed to a mission.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Okay Bats, next you can explain his obsession with women bearing the initials L.L.
"Ork 'as no automatic code o' survival. 'is partic'lar distinction from all udda livin' gits is tha necessity ta act inna face o' alternatives by means o' dakka."
Batman

Post by Batman »

Petrosjko wrote:Okay Bats, next you can explain his obsession with women bearing the initials L.L.
He's just weird that way? Anyway if we count 'Smallville' the trend's been broken already.
Honestly, do I look like his Valendamned shrink? See if you can get Dr Foster to talk if you're so interested.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Please Bats, we all know you and Supes are more alike than either of you want to admit.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Like hell we are. For starters, I ain't got no superpowers whatsoever.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

Powers are irrelevant. Supes powers are an expression of his genetic code and mean has much to his core personality and ethics has his eye color or hair. Odds are even without his powers he would attempt to effect change to the best of his ability, has do you.
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Orphans. Check.

Raised by loving surrogates. Check

Great Detective and investigative journalist. Check.

Sense of responsibility. Check.

Great value on innoncent life. Check.

Power or wealth so great that he could live beyond the bounds of normal human concerns. Check.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Cynical Cat? Does the term 'transmogrifier batatrang' mean anything to you?
Cynical Cat
Arch-Magician

Post by Cynical Cat »

Yes it does. If you want to have any chance of getting any from Selena ever, you'll put it away and be a good super hero.
frigidmagi

Post by frigidmagi »

You were saying something oh flying mouse of the night?
Josh

Post by Josh »

They're both dark-haired and totally buff, too.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Petrosjko wrote:They're both dark-haired and totally buff, too.
Every male superhero is totally buff, even the ones with no physical powers whatsoever. Well, except maybe for Ralph.
As for the hair color, what did frigidmagi said of the relevance of this again?