Board symbols discussion

GH: General Discussion

Moderator: LadyTevar

Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Robert Walper wrote:I guess there lies our disagreement. I do not see the pentagram as a religious symbol, and therefore cannot understand a person's objections to it on a religious basis.
It is generally used as a symbol of wicca IIRC. Hence religious symbol.
Nobody requested stars either, they still got them. Nobody complained about them.
Comparing non-descript stars to religiously symbolic pentagrams... Yep, that works perfectly. :roll:
So the majority of people have no issue with the symbol, yet it pisses them off if used as just a standard decoration on the board. Am I the only one seeing a contradiction here?
Yes, as I have often stated you have to go with what doesn't piss people off. So as long as we can not have the pentagram without pissing people off then we don't. If it does piss people off for some reason or another, then we reach a compromise. Which had been reached of personal symbols.
You mean making people leave because they have no problem with the symbol itself, but they get pissed off if it's a standard symbol of user accounts?

To use an analogy, this is like saying: "I have no problem with green paint, but I do have a problem if you paint your house green."
People can have no problem with YOU having the symbol, they have a problem if they have to have the symbol applied to them.

It's like saying: "I have no problem with you having green paint on your house, but I do have a problem if you paint my house green."
I'm saying there's no problem with the pentagram. You're pointing out I have a problem with religion (I don't like or subscribe to it). You say the pentagram has religious tones to it and that's it's problem. Do you see the flaw in your reasoning?
No. You're just being stupid. The lack of religious intent does not make a symbol any less religious, especially when you're using something like a Pentagram.
Considering I submitted the pentagram, and you pointed out I'm non religious, clearly the symbol has no religious intent.
Just when I think it can't get any worse. Question: Did you make up the symbol of the Pentagram? No? Oh, well then. Guess what? Even without religious intent it has religious background whether you like it or not and therefore is STILL a religious symbol.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Robert Walper
Adept

Post by Robert Walper »

Ra wrote:Guys, guys, guys, this discussion is only going to get more fervered as time goes by. Let's suffice it to say that some people are OK with Pentagrams, some are not, and others don't like religious icons of any kind used for representing the Board. How about we drop this, accept that other people have differing opinions, and move on before we have another flamefest?
I agree on that. I've pretty much said what I wanted on the subject anyhow, and it's not worth the time to continue hashing about it.
Charon
No

Post by Charon »

Robert Walper wrote:
Ra wrote:Guys, guys, guys, this discussion is only going to get more fervered as time goes by. Let's suffice it to say that some people are OK with Pentagrams, some are not, and others don't like religious icons of any kind used for representing the Board. How about we drop this, accept that other people have differing opinions, and move on before we have another flamefest?
I agree on that. I've pretty much said what I wanted on the subject anyhow, and it's not worth the time to continue hashing about it.
I'll agree to that. This is getting tiring and I don't think either side is going to be changing their views anytime soon.
Moderator of Philosophy and Theology
Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Jesus flippin' fuck.

Let's boil this down very simply:

Either you like it or you don't. The reason we put it forward for public discussion is because this is a small, family board, and we do generally move in consensus because we're a generally relaxed bunch.

Simple fact is, there are some symbols that we would leave out of contention in accordance with the sensibilities of board populace, such as the aforementioned swastikas, etc. While we don't aren't going to tiptoe around every single foible and sensitivity of every member, if enough people register disapproval of something like the pentagram, then there's no call to use it. Personally, I dislike the damn things because I associate them with greasy, pimply teenage wannabe rebels, since it was a proto-Goth fad when I was a strapping young lad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

This isn't a god damned issue of state security here. Enough people dislike the notion, so we axe 'em from contention.

Oh, and Dak, for fuck's sake take a little time to check your numbers on nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons have not been responsible for anywhere near millions of deaths.
If this sig banner appears with a grey background, get a better browser than IE.
Scottish Ninja
Initiate

Post by Scottish Ninja »

I took the time to point that out on AIM to him yesterday; they were responsible for less deaths in a short period than the firebombing of Tokyo (200,000+ deaths). Over time, though, the deaths from leukemia... well, that may have brought it up a bit.
[img=left]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a116/ ... vilwar.jpg[/img]Dakarne: That's no moon...
Dakarne: it's London.

Thank god for Tennessee Harold Ford protecting us from nuclear vegemite. - Petrosjko
Major Reilly: Air Command
"They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine" - The Doctor
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Scottish Ninja wrote:I took the time to point that out on AIM to him yesterday; they were responsible for less deaths in a short period than the firebombing of Tokyo (200,000+ deaths). Over time, though, the deaths from leukemia... well, that may have brought it up a bit.
Deaths from Hiroshima + Nagasaki including long term deaths= 300,000 thousand.

Tokyo firebombing: 800,000.
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy
The twin cub, the Cyborg dolphin wolf.

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Restarting this thread

So, so far we have over a dozen submissions from my recollection, everyone up to opening a poll to choose?
[img=left]http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Ace/acewip7.jpg[/img]Grand Dolphin Conspiracy

Dorsk 81: this is why I support the separation of Aces eyebrow's, something that ugly should never be joined

Mayabird:You see what this place does to us? It's like how Eskimos have their 16 names for snow. We have to precisely define what shafting we're receiving.

"Do we think Israel would be nuts enough to go back into Lebanon with Olmert still in power and calling the shots? They could hook Sharon up to a heart monitor and interpret the blips and bleeps as "yes" and "no" and do better than that, both strategically and emotionally."
B4UTRUST
Dance Puppets Dance

Post by B4UTRUST »

I believe it was decided that it would be a user selectable option
Saint Annihilus - Patron Saint of Dealing with Stupid Customers
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

B4UTRUST wrote:I believe it was decided that it would be a user selectable option
Oh, shoot me. :oops:

Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

With what weapon? :razz:
Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Dakarne wrote:With what weapon? :razz:
Considering he's piloting a Timber Wolf, I wouldn't get less than ER large lasers, myself.

Personally, I'll admit that I have a wicked fondness for light gauss rifles, though.
If this sig banner appears with a grey background, get a better browser than IE.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Petro wrote:
Considering he's piloting a Timber Wolf, I wouldn't get less than ER large lasers, myself.

Personally, I'll admit that I have a wicked fondness for light gauss rifles, though.
The ER would be a good choice, might also help painting me for the IR SRMs. The light gauss just can't do anything to me.

Petro
Force of Nature

Post by Petro »

Ace Pace wrote:
Petro wrote:

The ER would be a good choice, might also help painting me for the IR SRMs. The light gauss just can't do anything to me.
Cockpit shot from max range, baby. Sniping was my specialty.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Petro wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:
Petro wrote: Considering he's piloting a Timber Wolf, I wouldn't get less than ER large lasers, myself.

Cockpit shot from max range, baby. Sniping was my specialty.
I'd love to see a cockpit shot hit when I'm swerving.

Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

Well...

I have a fondness for Transmutation spells, doesn't actually have to kill the person to incapacitate them. So how does turning the Timber Wolf into jelly (or as you'd say it: "gelatin") sound?
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Dakarne wrote:
Well...

I have a fondness for Transmutation spells, doesn't actually have to kill the person to incapacitate them. So how does turning the Timber Wolf into jelly (or as you'd say it: "gelatin") sound?
*sighs*

It sounds like it won't happen. You know why? Because Magic Wanking is the most useless wanking ever invented.

Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

Ace, that has got to be the most useless response out of you yet, because you don't like something it's obviously useless. Bugger off and grow up.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Dakarne wrote:Ace, that has got to be the most useless response out of you yet, because you don't like something it's obviously useless. Bugger off and grow up.
I'm not the one who spreads magic wanking over half the forum, or tries to force it into a discussion that is about SCIENCE fiction B-tech, that has... less then a quantas value of relevence to magic.

EDIT: I know you're online, I know you've read this post, why the silence? :razz:
Last edited by Ace Pace on Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman
The Dark Knight
Location: The Timmverse, the only place where DC Comics still make a modicum of sense

Post by Batman »

Ace I can understand and Dakarne does seem to be fond of magic but Petro I would have expected better from.
EO or IR Maverick from 20 kilometres away. End of discussion.
'I wonder how far the barometer sunk.'-'All der way. Trust me on dis.'
'Go ahead. Bake my quiche'.
'Undead or alive, you're coming with me.'
'Detritus?'-'Yessir?'-'Never go to Klatch'.-'Yessir.'
'Many fine old manuscripts in that place, I believe. Without price, I'm told.'-'Yes, sir. Certainly worthless, sir.'-'Is it possible you misunderstood what I just said, Commander?'
'Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a sword a little'
'Run away, and live to run away another day'-The Rincewind principle
'Hello, inner child. I'm the inner babysitter.'
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

EDIT: I know you're online, I know you've read this post, why the silence?
Because you touch yourself at night :razz:
frigidmagi
Dragon Death-Marine General

Post by frigidmagi »

Dakarne, Behave yourself.
"it takes two sides to end a war but only one to start one. And those who do not have swords may still die upon them." Tolken
Narsil
Lord of Time

Post by Narsil »

Dakarne, Behave yourself.
I was joking.
Ace Pace
Antisemetical Semite

Post by Ace Pace »

Batman wrote:Ace I can understand and Dakarne does seem to be fond of magic but Petro I would have expected better from.
EO or IR Maverick from 20 kilometres away. End of discussion.
Ouch.